Your Weather, 2024

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Flocks of geese flying thu to the south. Most of the birds have left and the hummers stay for the winter.
They have lived here a long time. How do they survive the cold winters …they go into a state called tupor where they slow down their heart beat and body temp. Sort of a hummer hibernation.

The tree frogs are out churping along with the crickets. Always a nice sound this time of year.

Colder nights and the days are still comfortable. Been catching up on garden clean up and getting ready for winter.

I am hoping that the woolly bear catapillar wives tale will mean a comfortable winter for all.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Flocks of geese flying thu to the south. Most of the birds have left and the hummers stay for the winter.
They have lived here a long time. How do they survive the cold winters …they go into a state called tupor where they slow down their heart beat and body temp. Sort of a hummer hibernation.

The tree frogs are out churping along with the crickets. Always a nice sound this time of year.

Colder nights and the days are still comfortable. Been catching up on garden clean up and getting ready for winter.

I am hoping that the woolly bear catapillar wives tale will mean a comfortable winter for all.
Fascinating that your hummingbirds don't migrate, but rather sort of hibernate. I had no idea they could do that.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes @SPedigrees these little hummers are little nags in summers and fall. Following me around the garden beeping away.
But especially during winters their little escapades when weather is warm enough for them to be out. I don’t know how they do it, but they will search around the house to find me , then bug me to refresh their feeders at any window, chirping at me. I usually leave the sugar water out all winter sitting on a warming tray covered with a towel on a table on the porch instead of hanging the feeders.

Latest posts