2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I see you are all picking beautiful beans. I also collect the pods of most pole beans. Some of them are indecently fertile. One such bean is the Italian Zazza. The photo shows the top of the supports at a height of 2.8 meters but I already have a lot of dry pods from the lower parts.

View attachment 69193

@heirloomgal, what did Grandma Gina's pods look like when you cut the plants off from the roots to get good quality seeds? I don't know when to do this. The pods already have distinct purple patterns, but have not started to yellow yet.

Unfortunately I don't have much time to take pictures now. Maybe next year that will change.
I don't know how I missed this post @Artorius! Grandma Gina pods looked similar to this (this is Pragerhof but the pods are similar I find). You will likely lose some seed no matter which way you go early or late, I have every time, because they sprout so easily, it's a gamble. But as soon as I could feel good sized distinct bean bumps in the pods I cut the vines. I don't think I waited until they yellowed, because so many had sprouted on me by that point the fist year I grew them. Of course, if there is no rain in the forecast you don't need to worry quite as much.
IMG_2461.JPG

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over the weekend I built this bean rack 5.25 inches tall (13 cm) 12 inches wide (30 cm) and 24 inches long (61 cm). It will hold 18 8.5 oz styro cups (251 ML). I can move 18 pole bean seedlings at a time. I want to build 11 more of these so I can prestart all my pole beans next year.

Bean Rack.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts