2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I see you are all picking beautiful beans. I also collect the pods of most pole beans. Some of them are indecently fertile. One such bean is the Italian Zazza. The photo shows the top of the supports at a height of 2.8 meters but I already have a lot of dry pods from the lower parts.

View attachment 69193

@heirloomgal, what did Grandma Gina's pods look like when you cut the plants off from the roots to get good quality seeds? I don't know when to do this. The pods already have distinct purple patterns, but have not started to yellow yet.

Unfortunately I don't have much time to take pictures now. Maybe next year that will change.
I don't know how I missed this post @Artorius! Grandma Gina pods looked similar to this when I picked them (this is Pragerhof but they're close). You will likely lose some seed no matter which way you go early or late, I have every time, because they sprout so easily, it's a gamble. But as soon as I could feel good sized distinct bean bumps in the pods I cut the vines. I don't think I waited until they yellowed, because so many had sprouted on me by that point the fist year I grew them. Of course, if there is no rain in the forecast you don't need to worry quite as much.

IMG_2461.JPG

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over the weekend I built this bean rack 5.25 inches tall (13 cm) 12 inches wide (30 cm) and 24 inches long (61 cm). It will hold 18 8.5 oz styro cups (251 ML). I can move 18 pole bean seedlings at a time. I want to build 11 more of these so I can prestart all my pole beans next year.

Bean Rack.jpg

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Over the weekend I built this bean rack 5.25 inches tall (13 cm) 12 inches wide (30 cm) and 24 inches long (61 cm). It will hold 18 8.5 oz styro cups (251 ML). I can move 18 pole bean seedlings at a time. I want to build 11 more of these so I can prestart all my pole beans next year.

View attachment 69231
Such a great idea. That'll work fabulous! It's a good size of cup, it's so easy to burn through potting soil filling bigger ones up.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
'Blue and White of Bernardo' network bean. Gosh, I hope they all look like this! If only this darn rain would stop - I think tomorrow is supposed to be the last day and then back to nice weather, above average. Perfect for what these plants need.
IMG_2555.JPG

Thought this pod was pretty nifty. Quite the stripe!
IMG_2421.JPG

I grew 'Coral' bean back in 2021 and have no memory of what the pods looked like, or at least, I don't remember them having this rosey glow. Just adore this shade. 🍑
IMG_2416.JPG

I uncovered the mystery of my odd North Carolina pole plants - the reason there was so few pods in the middle is there was only one true to type plant in the group of 3 I planted. As far as I can tell, the correct pod form is green and purple flecked, curved pods. This is the top of the North Carolina plants, none of those pods look right. The hybrid vigor in the crosses eclipsed the one true plant that was there (which made about 6 pods total), which I've seen a few times in the past. True to type plants usually get overthrown by the hybrids, so it wasn't able to make many pods. Luckily, I had two poles planted with this network bean and those were 100% correct. Funny how I had that little nudge to double up my network plantings. Boy has that saved me this year.

The 2 crosses that I have this year are also the latest maturing plants in the gardens. 🤔
IMG_2149.JPG

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed this post @Artorius! Grandma Gina pods looked similar to this when I picked them (this is Pragerhof but they're close). You will likely lose some seed no matter which way you go early or late, I have every time, because they sprout so easily, it's a gamble. But as soon as I could feel good sized distinct bean bumps in the pods I cut the vines. I don't think I waited until they yellowed, because so many had sprouted on me by that point the fist year I grew them. Of course, if there is no rain in the forecast you don't need to worry quite as much.

View attachment 69220

Thanks @heirloomgal
I decided that today I would cut Grandma Gina's off from the roots along with the Melungeon and Ohio Pole.

Latest posts