A Sub for Early Girl

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I just had a tomato sandwich with a big fat Dr. Wyches Yellow that filled the entire slice+. Tasty! The Alaskan Fancys were first, but coming in dribs and drabs. Taxis are making a good show, several ripening at once. They are very similar in size and form to the AK Fancy but yellow. Japanese Black Trifeles are loaded, and I've picked several ripe ones. Cherokee Purples are coloring nicely. The Dr. W were kind of a surprise to me because I've had about half a dozen ripe ones already, and they aren't listed as early. Fireworks is not amazing me, Mule Team is pulling it's weight production wise, but not ripening yet, and I'm not sure about Legend, I may have picked a ripe one or two from it the other night when I dashed out to get a few for dinner, but I didn't read the tags.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know they sounded like something I'd want to try so I figured why not. I'm going to have my hands full next year with a bunch of different varieties of tomatoes I think its over a dozen new varieties Ill be trying plus my old stand by must haves. 2014 is going to be a very interesting and hopefully bountiful and tasty season.

I just found Early Detroit which I just have to try. I'm on the contact list so hopefully I'll get seeds for 2013. Dang Michigan ties got nostalgic and realized I "just have to try them" :p

Steve check your PMs

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had Dr. Wyches Yellow last year and was discouraged to try it again because it ripened just before frost. BIG tomater! But, not much of a season for me.

There were quite a few yellow tomatoes in 2012 but not so many this year. Gold Dust was a bust as, really, was Casey's Pure Yellow - for the same reason. The slugs loved them!!!! Dang nation, they jumped on those 2 as soon as there was anything to eat! I doubt if I've harvested more than 6 ripe tomatoes off of any 1 of those plants without major slug damage! Yes, I know. I was supposed to put down bait. Casey's did just wonderfully in 2012 but that was probably because they were staked and kept away from those lazy slugs sliming around on the ground!

You know, if we admitted yellows in the EG competition . . .

My red Legends are doing fine and ripening quickly. I suppose that if this hot weather holds, they will play out before October, however.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the Dr. Wyches, but in an ordinary year, whatever that is, they probably wouldn't ripen. It just sort of makes me scratch my head tho', why would they ripen before the others that are supposed to be early?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my earliest "nearly-ripe" this year was Gary O' Sena, Thistle'.

It was because the plant was almost 3 months old before I set it out and had a few blooms from the greenhouse. I should have taken those off and they didn't drop off on their own.

The plant had so little foliage that the fruit burned in the July sun and split. It has taken until now to see some more ripening. I just allowed it to delay. The neighbor's Gary O (that I gave him) is doing better in that there have been a few ripe fruits coming off it for a week or so.

That may not be what happened with your Dr. Wyches - you should save a few seeds. You may have an early-maturing line.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
One of my earliest "nearly-ripe" this year was Gary O' Sena, Thistle'.

It was because the plant was almost 3 months old before I set it out and had a few blooms from the greenhouse. I should have taken those off and they didn't drop off on their own.

The plant had so little foliage that the fruit burned in the July sun and split. It has taken until now to see some more ripening. I just allowed it to delay. The neighbor's Gary O (that I gave him) is doing better in that there have been a few ripe fruits coming off it for a week or so.

That may not be what happened with your Dr. Wyches - you should save a few seeds. You may have an early-maturing line.

Steve
That would be pretty cool. Actually this years Dr.s are from seed I saved 2 years ago. :)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree save a few and see what happens. I'd keep saving seeds from the earliest plants and as long as your not giving up flavor you'll eventually select what you want into them. Would be an interesting little side project.

Yellows have a different flavor or I'd say include them. I like the diversity of flavor that the yellows offer, just like pink and blacks offer but I wouldn't reach past a ripe red for a ripe yellow for a sandwich though.

Latest posts