A Sub for Early Girl

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
. . . Steve, dislike tomatoes that have green cores like fireworks. Why not big fan of other tomatoes that others like.
Ah, you noticed that . . . :/

I haven't gotten a nice one yet. They must be about a 65 day rated variety. Tomatofest says 60 days but they are coming on about the same time as the Goliaths. Maybe #3 will lose that core but - this was a taste comparison with Buisson. DD who has grown 1 tomato in her garden (that's 1 plant), a Bussion, prefers the taste of the Fireworks . . . I thought it was a little under-ripe . . .

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, your Fireworks are way ahead of mine. I don't have any ripe ones yet. Of course I haven't been out there in that tomato patch yet today. I'm always amazed at how much difference several miles between gardens makes around here. My tomatoes would be in the class for slow kids, while yours are all in the gifted program! :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't forget Thistle', that I once lived and gardened in the Belmont District where cold air came down off that "Belmont" (Cedar Mountain) every night and the only tomato that would ripen in my garden was Sub-Arctic . . :/ It is probably only a couple hundred feet higher in elevation than your home, if that.

I am not going to recommend Sub-Arctic (either the S-A Plenty or the S-A Maxi). I came to dislike them! Besides, they are kind of tiny things & determinates.

This was all pre-glasnost, USSR era and we didn't have the eastern European varieties . . . Not that I'd get too excited about one called Glacier or Siberia, anyway :/.

I was out there pickin' this morning! Still no 3rd Fireworks but the Early Girls are in good supply. The only thing in a 5 ounce tomato that I can compare to the EG's earliness is Casey's Pure Yellow. The Gold Dust are also unloading but I am just not happy with a determinate that is so early - those plants have about a week of life left to them. . . they are totally on their way out. Amazingly, Earl of Edgecombe had a ripe tomato - or, nearly so! Anyway, I got it! These are all yellows so the EG's are still safe in my garden.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of yellows, my Taxi is probably half ripe, the ones I planted in a tree pot for my son that are marked as Dr. Wyches Yellow are turning red. :/ Must have made a mistake somewhere. My first ripener was Alaskan Fancy, have you grown that one? They aren't big, probably tennis ball size, with a mild flavor. But surprisingly the Japanese Black Trifele are coloring up nicely, they're rated at 80 - 85 days.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oops! Just commented over on your 1st Ripe Tomato thread, Thistle'!

Nope. I didn't even know the name but I'm glad you are mentioning them on this Early Girl thread. Sand Hill Preservation has them. Maybe we should pay more attention to that guy! He grew up in northern Idaho and is a source for those ol' U of I releases: Kootenai, Shoshone, Bonner . . :cool:

I had Earl of Edgecombe last year and they certainly were not this early that I can remember. Dr. Wyche's was so late that it arrived just with the frost. I decided it wasn't worth another go since it was so late. We are having a hot summer here in 2013 and the tomatoes are showing that. Two more days in the 90's forecast by the NOAA for this week.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm answering the question you asked about the Alaskan Fancy over on my first tomato thread here, Steve.
You asked if that AF still had blooms and yes indeedy it do! :) I guess that makes it an ID? At least a SD...

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am still researching early varieties for next year. Funny you should mention the U of I strains Steve , one that I have on order for next year is the Benewah. Named after the county I was born and mostly raised in, which is why I want to grow it. I also want to plant a variety named mule team they seem to have qualities I am looking for. Also want to find maybe 2 other heirlooms to try, I am open for suggestions. I feel like I am not very bright when I am looking for replacements early girls, while the EGs in my garden are loaded and producing like mad right now. Hey a guy can't help looking off at the horizon and thinking of all the possibilities lol...:)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector said:
I am still researching early varieties for next year. Funny you should mention the U of I strains Steve , one that I have on order for next year is the Benewah. Named after the county I was born and mostly raised in, which is why I want to grow it. I also want to plant a variety named mule team they seem to have qualities I am looking for. Also want to find maybe 2 other heirlooms to try, I am open for suggestions. I feel like I am not very bright when I am looking for replacements early girls, while the EGs in my garden are loaded and producing like mad right now. Hey a guy can't help looking off at the horizon and thinking of all the possibilities lol...:)
Hey Collector, I'm trying Mule Team this year, nothing ripe on them yet, but I'll let you know how they do.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Glad this thread came back to life. This has just been a weird year. I started picking Early Girls last week I think, reliably at least. And guess what's 99% ready on the vine? A Black Krim. I don't get this year at all.

As far as next year I'm growing a few different things in hopes of replacing Early Girl. I've got Ayas, Danko, and Early Rouge all with the intention of dethroning EG.

I also ordered German Extreme Dwarf, and Moravsky to hopefully get some real early tomatoes.

By the way the link I posted were the place I ordered from too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fireworks!!???

Not Early Enuf! I reported on the 2nd ripe fruit on each of the 2 plants on 8/25. On 9/7, 2 more tomatoes were ripe on each of the plants . . . So, I've taken 3 off of each plant. Thistle', how are your plants doing??

Oh, there will be quite a few more coming on and they look nice, taste good and the plants have held up well this summer. But -- what is with this ripening their crop in September? And, what is the rating of a 60-day tomato? The "Original Goliaths" in my garden have done better with ripe fruit as a 65-day and the Early Girls are just roaring along and have been for about 3 weeks!

Nice tomato but just not as early as EG :/.

Jared --- I will be very curious about Ayas :cool:. An indeterminate, those Mediterranean types may fit well in my climate (if'n they are early enuf), and . . . I like saying the name :p.

Steve