Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay @Phaedra

So, you can generally count on no Winter temperatures below -12 to -9⁰C (10 to 15 Fahrenheit)?

Sounds good to me :). I can imagine my prehistoric ancestors pushing some cows around, leaving the old folks to tend the cabbage and kohlrabi at home. Moving back to the village at All Hallow's Eve with the livestock. Ah, the good life ...

Stephan

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
POST 3 of 3
Explanation of pics from POSTS 1 of 3 and POSTS 2 of 3
Pics in POST 1 of 3
1.) Memorial Table the groom didn't know anything about until we were just about to be introduced at the beginning of the reception
2.) Groom crying because of the song I choose to walk down the center to and I looked really beautiful
3.) Groom and I with MY Stand In Parents
4.) ALL the liquor that was available
5.) The BAR tabletop sign
6.-10.) Pics of the garter removal
Pics in POST 2 of 3
1.) Groom and 2 Groomsmen having fun photo session
2.) I and "ADOPTED" Baby Brother (he was also a Groomsmen)
3.) Dumb & Dumber made an appearance
4.) As we were walking back down the center after saying our vows
5.) Variety of pics of us
D'AWWW!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :hugs:hugs:hugs

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i mixed things together for breakfast so i started off with an openface egg salad sandwich in a bowl and then after that was finished i had dessert of some cranberry nut bread with peanut butter on it and a glass of water to rinse out the mouth and give it all some extra moisture for company in my stomach.

so first and second breakfast and lunch covered and i can go hibernate for a while longer since it is raining outside and i won't be getting much done in the gardens today.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden this year is pitiful. Health reasons kept me from getting everything planted. Hopefully TheMan will get the greenhouse up in time for next year. Last year was a bumper crop for EVERYTHING from berries to veggies and the trees all outdid themselves. I was able to do a lot of canning. I don’t think that’s something I can manage this year. Hopefully next year will go better for me.
Meanwhile, coffee tastes good and Boone is my best (and only) company.

IMG_9073.jpeg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@peteyfoozer :hugs:hugs:hugs
Don't despair!! Pivet.
I heard a nurse on the radio on "Nurse's Day." The radio host asked her how she/they (in an ambulance) planned.
She said that they make 3 plans:
1) Plan for what they think the situation is
2) Plan for what they think it Could be
3) Pivet bc the situation is NOTHING like anybody thought it would be
THAT's been MY gardening for the last 3 years.
I have had distractions and have done some useful sidequests so far this season, like the 5' x 10' section along the outside of the corner of my north pasture which which growing tall weeds and a few saplings. I used my loppers to cut those off and carried them to my burn pile, then poisoned, THEN laid down cardboard and 2 full loads of used stall bedding on top. I won't have to mow there for a few years and it was a difficult place to push a mower. NOT vegetable gardening, but worth the trouble.
Get some plants and stuff them in pots, like tomatoes or peppers and you will have some harvest from them.
Plant some vining beans along a fence line.
Study up on Fall gardening and plan now to start a cool weather crop.
Here is a seed starting plan that I think will help you. :D
Chuck Vogt's Seed Starting Schedule (Professor Emertis, University of Illinois, College of Aces, specialties in vegetables and herbs)

***(This a plan for zone 5a, Kankakee, IL. You are probably 2 zones higher, so you can adjust accordingly)
WHEN TO SOW FOR TRANSPLANTING FOR A FALL GARDEN
June 1-June15
brussels sprouts(bitter when grown for a spring schedule)(transplant in July)(harvest mid October)
==not going to make tight sprouts
==Glucosinolates in spring grown brussels sprouts
"The bitter taste of Brussels sprouts comes from compounds called glucosinolates and their degradation products, he explains. These bitter tasting compounds are an important part of the plant’s defence mechanism against leaf-eating enemies, such as insects, nematodes, slugs, and herbivores, like pigeons and deer. They are also responsible for many of the health-giving properties of Brussels and other brassicas, particularly their antioxidant and anti-cancer properties."

July 1- July 15
broccoli
cauliflower
kohlrabi
late cabbage
collards
kale (flowering and regular)
fennel (florence)

July 15-July 30
early cabbage

August 1-August 15
kohlrabi
lettuce
dill (for weed)(don't want to flower late, so big fronds)
WHEN TO SOW FOR TRANSPLANTING FOR A SPRING GARDEN
January 15-February 15 (go out in March/April)
celery
celeriac
parsley
onion
shallot (from seed)
leek
chives

February 16-February 28
rosemary]]better off w/clone or cultivar
lavendar]]better off w/clone or cultivar

March 1-March 15(go out late March/early April)
cabbage
broccoli
cauliflower
kohlrabi
collards
kale
lettuce
oregano

March 15-March 31
fennel
dill
pepper
eggplant
sage

April 1-April 15
tomato (develop faster and go leggy if started earlier)

April 15-April 30
cucumber]]develop Very fast, put out when it has 1st true leaves
watermelon]]develop Very fast, put out when it has 1st true leaves

May 1-Mar 15
basil(don't put out before Memorial Day)
I would throw some cucumber seeds in ANYTIME. If you keep them watering you will have some to munch on.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A very sunny day - the temperature reached 28C, so people showing up to get cold drinks.

I kept thinking about how to make my Nichi-misu unique. First of all, it's a freestyle Tiramisu, so I added homegrown strawberries. Then, I only add pure, sugarless Valrhona cacao powder when people order. By not absorbing excess moisture from the cream layer, the high-quality cacao powder ensures a clean, clear, sharp, and rich overall flavor profile.

I will make some with sliced banana tomorrow, as my sweet treats are usually not that sweet (compared with the local bakeries), the natural sweetness offered by fresh fruits is a refreshing element.
22631_0.jpg

Iced milk tea and today's Nichi-misu, ordered by a lovely mother and her daughter
22650.jpg