Coffee

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Never ever tried it, but I know I would really enjoy pumpkin šŸ„§
I never realized before that pumpkin pie is a strictly American dessert, and is unknown across the pond. I get that our Thanksgiving holiday is unique to the USA, but after all, we eat pumpkin pie at Christmastime also, so I'm surprised it's unknown in England. I wouldn't have known this but for a youtube video showing a panel of Brits sampling various American dishes for the first time. Initially suspicious of pumpkin pie, it received thumbs-ups across the board when tasted. One gal remarked that its consistency is similar to cheesecake.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I never realized before that pumpkin pie is a strictly American dessert, and is unknown across the pond. I get that our Thanksgiving holiday is unique to the USA, but after all, we eat pumpkin pie at Christmastime also, so I'm surprised it's unknown in England. I wouldn't have known this but for a youtube video showing a panel of Brits sampling various American dishes for the first time. Initially suspicious of pumpkin pie, it received thumbs-ups across the board when tasted. One gal remarked that its consistency is similar to cheesecake.
Yes, it is also rare here in Germany. Some TV series I watched always mention pumpkin pie, I am so curious and can't wait to try. I will first try the pumpkin spice latte with homemade pumpkin syrup (those sold in international coffee chain stores are crxp :p), and later in Nov/Dec, I will do some pumpkin pies!

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, it is also rare here in Germany. Some TV series I watched always mention pumpkin pie, I am so curious and can't wait to try. I will first try the pumpkin spice latte with homemade pumpkin syrup (those sold in international coffee chain stores are crxp :p), and later in Nov/Dec, I will do some pumpkin pies!
I'm betting that your pumpkin pie will be superior to all that have gone before. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is pretty much a custard with squash/pumpkin included and spices.

yummy! when i was 2yrs old Mom made some pumpkin pies and left them to cool on the counter top. i figured out how to climb the cupboards to get at them and she found me happily pigging out with both of them all over the place (there might even be pictures).

still a favorite of mine. nobody makes mincemeat any more.

today Mom is back to baking, peanut butter chocolate chip cookies (she's not made peanut butter cookies of any kind in some time so this will be a treat :) ). she's also going to make some shortbread cookies and probably plain chocolate chip cookies. all of them are good and it will be hard for me to resist...

Last edited:

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like mince meat pies. They are just fruit chopped up small then placed in a pie crust , baked. My fave pie is sweet potato pieā€¦ itā€™s a fav around here. I would say better than pumpkin pie at the risk of getting too salty. šŸ˜‰

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is becoming easier to be up before dawn ;).

Take a look in the western sky if you have a clear sky. Almost straight up if you can be out there by 4AM.

Screenshot_20240907_140003_Threads.jpg
Jupiter! And, you won't need a time machine to join Linus in 1957. He will be out there with you :).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. Breakfast oatmeal with dried cranberries, peach slices on the side, a cup of oolong.

Three days of Record Heat and maybe again today. But, it's 54ā°f (12ā°C) here at home right now. I'd like to open up the house a little more however, DW is asleep in the bedroom so I can't get this cool air moving in a full circle. Long hours of darkness is helping outside temperatures. It isn't supposed to be mid to high 90's (36C) this time of year!

Stars were out nicely. Strange atmosphere to be nice and clear at night but hazy as the devil during the daytime. The Weather Service reported the strong air inversion they learned releasing a weather balloon. It was 53f (12C) at their office early and 79f (26C) at 1,000 feet. They explained that this hot air would descend with sunlight. And, it must explain the dismal views of the mountains. Smoke, yes, but we have been fortunate right here and nearby šŸ¤ž, this air could be much worse.

Steve

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like mince meat pies. They are just fruit chopped up small then placed in a pie crust , baked. šŸ˜‰
Actually mincemeat pies contained aged meat and animal fat originally. My grandmother used to make and can mincemeat filling. My grandfather was an avid hunter so we used all parts of the game he stocked their freezer with. By the time I was 6 or 7, Grandma had pretty much given up home canning, and mincemeat pie had disappeared from the Thanksgiving table. I would eat a sliver of the mincemeat pie back in the day, but my favorites were lemon meringue and cherry or rhubarb pies.

Now however, nostalgia is making me want to revisit mincemeat pie and try baking one myself. I buy a good portion of my meat online from Northstar Bison, and they sell all parts of their pasture raised bison and other animals, including fat. (Crazy to need to buy fat to cook with meat that has been trimmed of fat, but that's modern life I guess.) So the materials for a mincemeat pie are available to me, as well as apples and raisins etc.

One of the points brought up on that video of Brits sampling American pies is that meat pies are common in England but rather scarce here in the US. We have Shepherd's pie (although typically ground beef is used in place of the traditional lamb) and chicken pot pie, but that's about it.

Latest posts