Coffee

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS' Wasabi deviled eggs sound \s like a great way to spice up the flavor. Worth a try . Thanks

@flowerbug frost in your zone … we are still in the 60-70F day and 40F night. I live 750’ above sea level and have seen light frost from ghe dew from the marine layers across the pastures early morning.

The Trees changing colors are the stars in autumn’s bright sunshine reflecting the glowing leaves across the landscape - reds , yellows , oranges .

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
An interesting place to live if a person is of working age. Continuing construction of retirement homes must have greatly changed Florida in the years since I was there.

I was telling DD that we tell olde people to "take care" of themselves. Do we realize how much of their waking hours is taken up with doing that – trying to keep up with just routine activities? After awhile, toddering about doing the simple things required for survival. Evacuate? Evacuate an assisted living residence? What in Heavens would that be like?!
Unbearable I should imagine. I find life really hard, especially how today's society does have a clue about your disability or age and how exhausted we can get.

I hope these people get assistance I honestly do

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I certainly didn't realize that there was so much to know about olde age until I arrived there, @Marie2020 .

:)
Wasabi deviled eggs
I may have made a mistake not adding enuf to turn those yolks green, Shades. But, I really don't think so. I used about 50% more wasabi than Martha did. Maybe putting the scallions in a blender would change that orange to green :D.

Oranges? Of Mandarin persuasion this morning for breakfast. Would they really be from N America this early? Maybe so. Maybe Mexico N America. A bin of them at the soopermarket with no note on origin. DW found bags of Moroccan Mandarins once. International!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... Evacuate? Evacuate an assisted living residence? What in Heavens would that be like?!

in recent weeks various places have been quarantined because of Covid (again!). a friend of ours lives in a wing of a care facility (they are not technically part of that care facility other than sharing a roof, hallway and a parking area) that was on quarantine for a few weeks but is now back open to visitors.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I certainly didn't realize that there was so much to know about olde age until I arrived there, @Marie2020 .

:)

I may have made a mistake not adding enuf to turn those yolks green, Shades. But, I really don't think so. I used about 50% more wasabi than Martha did. Maybe putting the scallions in a blender would change that orange to green :D.

Oranges? Of Mandarin persuasion this morning for breakfast. Would they really be from N America this early? Maybe so. Maybe Mexico N America. A bin of them at the soopermarket with no note on origin. DW found bags of Moroccan Mandarins once. International!

Steve

the blueberries i had right before my bowl of cereal this morning were from Peru - they were as big as my thumb and i only needed a few to hold me over until my cereal was ready.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel that it's a lucky thing that we have a supply line to Peru and Chile. It is probably an unsustainable convenience. Ha! I was misspelling that and my spell checker suggested "conveyance" while I am imagining a space station ordered to "Beam them up, Mr Scott." "Beam them down!"

What I am not so happy about is the "fresh" produce held in storage for months. They come out looking okay then deteriorate rapidly! Potatoes treated while still in the field with chemicals to retard growth. Workers in storage buildings dying. Come on! We can live a little more seasonally.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the sad thing @digitS' is that even if you buy in season produce locally they still may be getting it from someplace else that had it in storage. a business we used to get apples and cider from got their apples from anyplace that had them cheaper... they also didn't make their own pies, etc. :( we learned this after a family member went to work for them (they didn't treat her well and she didn't like it there either so she didn't stay very long).

i don't think the USDA or FDA have regulations about the words "fresh" or "local" yet. at least they finally dealt with "best used by", etc dates...

IMO unless you pick it yourself don't assume anything...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
don't assume anything
That's probably right, FlowerBug.

However, we want more variety than we can grow. If I'm tricked that is different than me being comfortable with going completely processed. Bad customer experiences can and should lead to business loss. I may enjoy green eggs but but I don't intend to be content with soylent green.

But at the same time ;), while it took me some time to have an interest in soy__, I miss growing my own edamame. A nice  green variety of soybean, a tad bit of wasabi blended together with those yolks ...

👨‍🍳...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Banana pancakes and a banana for breakfast ...

Reading about bananas. According to the USDA, as fresh fruits, Americans use more bananas than apples and oranges combined. Okay.

I seem to remember when the disease problem occurred with bananas in the 50's and a huge shift to these Cavendish varieties was made. Now, we are told, there may be the same problem developing again. Solutions?

Intending to chop and microwave a Gala apple, pour Wheat Chex and almond milk over it and have that for a second breakfast.

:) Steve

Latest posts