Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am a lousy maker of crusts. DW does much better :). The one problem with hers is that she knows that I like the crust. Sooo, she makes sure that it is real thick on the edges. That’s okay :D. I’m not about to mention it or I may be back to my cardboard crusts!

The idea of adding vodka to the crust dough has been suggested by many sources, including on TEG. Thinking about it - it makes sense, especially for pumpkin pie crusts and those baked before filling. Rapid evaporation … One problem is that I avoid having booze in the house. Secondly, vodka is way down on my preferred choices for mixed drinks. Probably bourbon would be just fine especially with pumpkin and spice :).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
these days if you use margarine instead of butter you may find your crusts too soggy from too much water. a lot of margarines have a lot of water added to them. we've now switched to using butter since the price of margarine has gotten so rediculous. you can find some bulk margarines at the food supply stores and bakery supplies that doesn't have water added to it but you need to make sure before using it. Mom used to make cookies with margine and all her recipes were built around using it and then then started not working out so well and then they got worse so we switched to butter and she's having to relearn some recipes and adjust again. like darn, i hate eating those rejects...!!!!!
*waddles away*

my brother gave my Mom a box of Little Debbies Pumkin Spice rolls. they're horrible, there's absolutely no pumkin in them at all. i did eat them but i'd never buy them myself.

Libbies uses the Dickenson pumpkin or squash.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Easy way to make your own butter from cream. Just mix the cream until it seperated out the water. Then cheese cloth to squeeze out the water add a touch of salt . Form the butter in any shape and that’s it , refrigerate. It tastes better than any butter on the market.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am a lousy maker of crusts. DW does much better :). The one problem with hers is that she knows that I like the crust. Sooo, she makes sure that it is real thick on the edges. That’s okay :D. I’m not about to mention it or I may be back to my cardboard crusts!

The idea of adding vodka to the crust dough has been suggested by many sources, including on TEG. Thinking about it - it makes sense, especially for pumpkin pie crusts and those baked before filling. Rapid evaporation … One problem is that I avoid having booze in the house. Secondly, vodka is way down on my preferred choices for mixed drinks. Probably bourbon would be just fine especially with pumpkin and spice :).

Steve
:sick Bourbon or Jack Daniels yuk. If your drowned that stuff in apple juice I would detect it

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Easy way to make your own butter from cream. Just mix the cream until it seperated out the water. Then cheese cloth to squeeze out the water add a touch of salt . Form the butter in any shape and that’s it , refrigerate. It tastes better than any butter on the market.
When my kids were little we made homemade butter just by shaking heavy cream in jars for a very long time. Added some salt and it was fabulous!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree home made butter is the fabulous. I can’t believe the butter offered in the market place passes as butter.
We have a market that I can't get to. But luckily I have a friend that can, the farmers get there once a week and sell their own butter it's a completely different colour and texture altogether. It's yummy

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
these days if you use margarine instead of butter you may find your crusts too soggy from too much water. a lot of margarines have a lot of water added to them. we've now switched to using butter since the price of margarine has gotten so rediculous. you can find some bulk margarines at the food supply stores and bakery supplies that doesn't have water added to it but you need to make sure before using it. Mom used to make cookies with margine and all her recipes were built around using it and then then started not working out so well and then they got worse so we switched to butter and she's having to relearn some recipes and adjust again. like darn, i hate eating those rejects...!!!!!
*waddles away*

my brother gave my Mom a box of Little Debbies Pumkin Spice rolls. they're horrible, there's absolutely no pumkin in them at all. i did eat them but i'd never buy them myself.

Libbies uses the Dickenson pumpkin or squash.
I gave up on margarine a long time ago then gave up on store butter about 6 years ago.

That's a shame about the pumpkin spice rolls . I wish companies wouldn't cut corners and spoil their produce