Coffee

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having my coffee and lots of discussions with DD. DS and his new wife should be home later today. DD and I both have some nice organic purple garlic we have planned on planting next month. Her husband will do the work for her and go get some compost and have her box ready to plant garlic. He wants one of my compost barrels I have. There is somebody in town that sells vinyl boxes 2.5 wide x 5 feet long. I am thinking that maybe that is what I should do. Buy 2 of those and fill the boxes this fall and be ready for spring. Spread compost where the pole beans will be. Neither one of us will have a lot of time for much of anything next spring. I have some kind of new weeds that came with the manure. I will have to take a picture. I am not sure what it is. I never had it in my yard before. Easy to pull up though. This is the shirt I ordered for her.
shirt.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am getting beds ready to plant garlic. I need your opinion about timing. I am borderline 5b/6a, LITERALLY on the border of the two. About 30 minutes north of me there is a nursery. I looked into buying garlic from them 2 years ago, in August. They said I missed it bc they had harvested theirs in July AND they let it see the sun for a month then replant. In August. Zone 5b.
I didn't take good care of last year's garlic, so I had to buy more. I found some lovely porcelain garlic, dunno which???, but it was for sale at a 2 acre plot, middle of town (Savoy), and I think a church runs it. You bag up and pay on the honor system, but the bulbs were $1/each--couldn't beat that price, plus I consider this Local Garlic.
This is about 20 minutes north of me. zone 5b.
QUESTION:
WHEN do YOU think I should plant it?

Attachments

• Garlic for Fall 2024 planting.jpg
    Garlic for Fall 2024 planting.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 3

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Having my coffee and lots of discussions with DD. DS and his new wife should be home later today. DD and I both have some nice organic purple garlic we have planned on planting next month. Her husband will do the work for her and go get some compost and have her box ready to plant garlic. He wants one of my compost barrels I have. There is somebody in town that sells vinyl boxes 2.5 wide x 5 feet long. I am thinking that maybe that is what I should do. Buy 2 of those and fill the boxes this fall and be ready for spring. Spread compost where the pole beans will be. Neither one of us will have a lot of time for much of anything next spring. I have some kind of new weeds that came with the manure. I will have to take a picture. I am not sure what it is. I never had it in my yard before. Easy to pull up though. This is the shirt I ordered for her.
Regarding Your question, I would rake up grass clippings, spread them out on your garlic bed, let them dry for a few days, just like they dry out on your lawn, and use THAT for working in for your composting. It won't burn out your garlic, and you only want the garlic to set roots and throw up some green, and then cover with straw.

Latest posts