baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready.

IMG_7305.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was 3-2-1 a couple of minutes ago, @baymule . I have been up nearly an hour. It is 37⁰f (3⁰C) at the nearest thermometer online. Already out and scratching the top of the car and finding the smallest amount of frost.

@Shades-of-Oregon , Dad and I visited Enterprise for a few night stays at a motel — I was 13 and there was a possibility of moving to Kamiah Idaho, a few miles upstream after jumping Hell's Canyon. I was disappointed that we didn't make the move ;). From one corner of Oregon and the Rogue Valley to the other corner .... and, beyond.

Well, I'd better go decide if I turn sprinklers on before 4AM and try to combat the frost again. In a way, it's good that this is the 3rd dodge, if it is. The plants can toughen a little each time. Strange also that a WS station not all that far away recorded the warmest average morning lows through September in 140 years.

dizzy digitS'

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would this be any good. It the Madagascar.
I thought that was supposed too be the best in the world

those are a different variety, different flavors. vanilla has a lot of different notes to it, the synthetic stuff only has the one. someone who has sensitive taste buds and smell will notice the differences. also i don't care about vodka versions (i don't like vodka) or making my own but sometime i may get into it. not any time soon though...

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
those are a different variety, different flavors. vanilla has a lot of different notes to it, the synthetic stuff only has the one. someone who has sensitive taste buds and smell will notice the differences. also i don't care about vodka versions (i don't like vodka) or making my own but sometime i may get into it. not any time soon though...
That's interesting. I haven't had the insight to tell the difference. We don't have so many choices here

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom wanted the heat turned on this morning. it was 66F in here. yes, my feet are a bit cool, i have two layers of socks on (the 2nd layer is for picking beans though and i forgot to take them off) and i have my old-man-sweater on, but i've not yet gotten out the winter hat.

the heat ran for a bit, it's off now, sunny and 77F today.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's interesting. I haven't had the insight to tell the difference. We don't have so many choices here

the choices are limited by $$$ and time for me. i don't have the time to research this more at the moment. i'll be happy with what i have and leave it at that until the winter gets fully underway.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished my 2nd breakfast of scrambled eggs and cherry tomatoes with melon slices.

Enjoying the coffee after 3rd morning of frost mitigation/running sprinklers. As long as it is so light, I can give short sprinkling and it amounts to about the same as a total week's worth of H²O and luck has been with me this week. Once in a past year, it was so cold that freezing still happened and the sprinkler water coated the plants with ice. A useless effort.

Micro-climates. That might mean, under a tree or against a building. I thought that it was quite revealing when a WS meteorologist essentially complained about the amount of asphalt, concrete and the number of buildings at their airport and the effect on temperature readings.

It's interesting seeing the Wunderground volunteers' readings. An important one for me over the years, and close to home, shows about the same degrees as my best guess here – with a thermometer under the carport roof. Eight blocks away, another volunteer had what might be called hard freezes. Then, the sun shows up and the hard frost location stays the same for another hour while others rise. Equality is gained later in the day. Visiting the locations reveals the differences. Both homes are against a low hill, southside. One home is in a somewhat narrow "cove," the other in a broader one: something like this.
/¯\___/¯¯\. The small cove receives shorter direct daily sunlight.​
digitS', who lives above them about 150ft and about a mile away
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS' I use Wuderground weather reports every morning, directly reflects my area up 640’ higher than Portland. I live in what’s called the banana belt . We get really different weather than sea level zones in the Portland area.

High 64F low 43F rain cloudy all day. It so dark outside it looks like dusk.😟

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Somebody yesterday did a challenge of throw away 100 things, so I worked in the house and found 113 things. Today, I gave the rabbit a new bed and added the old to the compost bin. I pulled a lot of weeds and old plants and put a lot of things in the shed for the winter. We might get some rain today, but very little. I am getting ready to plant some garlic. I am not planting very much.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can tell the difference between synthetic vanilla ("vanillin") and real vanilla extract. I don't like vodka either, but in vanilla extract I don't really notice it, if that is what is used. If I were making my own, I'd use brandy.

Latest posts