Dracaena and Dracaena. But which is which?

melankaya

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello!

I have these two dracaenas but I am not sure which is which... The smaller one with nine leaves was suggested to be a dracaena marginata and the other, well I'm not too sure. Dracaena fragrans massangeana, someone said- but those leaves are broader, and these are rather narrow and palmy I'd say.

Could you take a look please, and help me out if you can?
I have a link but the site won't let me post it :-(

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Not a dracaena expert by any stretch, but the palmy looking one looks like the marginata that my sister has. May find out that she's wrong about it's name, though! Have no idea what the other is.

melankaya

Sprout
Reaction score
yaaaay a reply!@ There is hope again :p

Thanks! Thats what some other people said too, but then confused me by suggesting both were marginatas and my mind refuses to buy that :-(

Thanks for the reply though!

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong... but it looks like the large leafed one is Dracaena Aletriformis. I recently bought some seeds to try to grow some and it looks a lot like the pictures I researched. I would agree with other one being Marginata. I've only been growing different types of Dracaena for a short time... so I am also not an expert. (Also a picture of the one little Aletriformis I have coming up will not help you because it is less than a 1/2" tall!) But those are both very good looking... :)