Ducks 4 in '24

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Finished tying up the last 6 beefsteaks, need more pruning but all yellowish leaves are gone and no fruit is on the ground. Meager grape harvest. Discovered one new grape growing, BUT I pulled up one/two of it's stems. :hit
I won't prune the grapes yet bc I need to see if I can root some of the new growth and keep it alive over the winter.
I let the stupid blackberries take over. ALMOST killed my yellow knockout rose, killed another one, but that one was iffy, anyway.
Gotta go back and saw them down and the bindweed AND the poison ivy growing there. Guess that cardboard I have been saving will need to go down around the two surviving roses. The rest of the bed can be poisoned with 2D4 since I didn't garden there this year.
I have green fingers from handling tomato stems.
Found one cucumber a day from getting too big and bitter, so I ate it.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Finished tying up the last 6 beefsteaks, need more pruning but all yellowish leaves are gone and no fruit is on the ground. Meager grape harvest. Discovered one new grape growing, BUT I pulled up one/two of it's stems. :hit
I won't prune the grapes yet bc I need to see if I can root some of the new growth and keep it alive over the winter.
I let the stupid blackberries take over. ALMOST killed my yellow knockout rose, killed another one, but that one was iffy, anyway.
Gotta go back and saw them down and the bindweed AND the poison ivy growing there. Guess that cardboard I have been saving will need to go down around the two surviving roses. The rest of the bed can be poisoned with 2D4 since I didn't garden there this year.
I have green fingers from handling tomato stems.
Found one cucumber a day from getting too big and bitter, so I ate it.
I guess there is no real cure for bindweed is there?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Time and patience and a battle plan. Oftentimes I throw it into the garbage in the garage. Sometimes I burn it.
I cleared almost all of it from the back of the garage, now a gardening bed with asparagus, cucumbers and tomatoes in 2024.
I took my spade, a bucket and a wheelbarrow. I kept digging deep until I got all of the runners, threw them in the bucket for the trash, then put back the soil and moved on to the next patch.
My health and knees got me behind, but it could be worse.
If you throw bindweed in the lawn it will rehydrate and grow, so no lawn fertilizer, although many weeds make Great lawn fertilizer bc Should they grow you knock them down when you mow and they can't get a foothold.
I don't believe people who grow morning glories. MOST of them Are bindweed, white or blue flowers.
FORTUNATELY, I haven't had any hives in 3 months!! :weee :weee :weee

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
you have to put the bindweed roots on the fence to dry out completely so they can't regrow plus it acts as a warning to any that think of trying to come back... i've tried that with some thistle and other roots to deter them too... no it really doesn't work for scaring them off, but i like to think it does. :)

so far there's not too much poison ivy i've had to deal with in recent years, but i do have to keep an eye out for new patches starting up from the birds dropping seeds along the fences and trees. i noticed several weeks ago i have a new vine trying to grow in the south hedge cedar trees so i have to get in there sometime in the next few weeks to remove that and i put that in the trash.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Friday I went shopping and I stopped at the little 2 acre farmette on South Prospect. You could miss it if you don't know where it is and you pay on the honor system.
As you know I needed to buy more garlic bc I didn't care for last year's harvest very well. Online garlic has gotten Really pricy.
Joy was sparked when I found that they were selling some kind of porcelain garlic for $1/bulb!!! :weee:weee:weee
I considered buying all 12 that were left but I thought that maybe somebody else might want to buy the last 5 bulbs, so I only bought 7.
I missed my fall planting vegetable window, so this week I will be transplanting my 3 blueberry bushes in the north section of the big garden AND this garlic...ALL OF IT.
The bulbs are big and beautiful! Just a reminder--grocery store garlic is grown in China OR California and will die if you plant in the Fall in the Midwest. Better for cooking or growing stalks for cooking--ask @Phaedra how to do that.
I dug out and sawed off the tall weeds, including burdock, that have taken hold in my big garden two days ago and yesterday I moved all cut burdock to be burned in the Inner Sanctum, and the rest of the weeds plus saplings along the street fencing out to the north pasture burn pile.
Garlic for Fall 2024 planting.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess there is no real cure for bindweed is there?

persistence... i found six morning glory plants growing in the pathway i was hoping we'd finally gotten all of the seeds to sprout from the years ago when we let morning glories flower on the fence. i think it's been about 10 years by now. making progress... not nearly as many as the hundreds i used to have to weed from that pathway and along that fence (the rocks make any kind of weeding difficult).

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thursday and today I worked on the North Pasture. I had a 21yo, not really a kid bc he works hard for money, anyway he took my chain saw and chopped down the tops of several trees growing along the east fenceline. Didn't have time to move them, so I dragged all but one out with my Godmower, to the burn pile, which was a little sparse after the initial burn. I also mowed about 1/2 of the ~3 acre pasture, which was closed off for almost a week so I could access through the east street gate. I found about 20 burdock growing along the north fenceline, just the east part of it, so I had left my lopper out and I had 5 piles of sticks along the east side, and burdock and some sapling sticks along the north fenceline. Today I moved all of the piles to the burn pile. There were 2 tow wagons full and I backed up to dump them in the center. DH took the tractor out to mow the rest of the north pasture and to move the biggest limb, and, unfortunately, we had to drag out the ponies apple tree. I saw yesterday that it had fallen over, probably the ponies ran into it--wouldn't be the First time they did that!
It looks like the center was dying, but it still produced this year and the boys had plenty of apples. The trunk still had plenty of leaves, too.
My boys couldn't understand Why we were putting their tree out to burn. :eek:
Family wants to know if I will plant them a new apple tree next year.
Of COURSE I will!
I may research to find out a hardy variety that likes our zone and climate, and I will need to create a 2 x 4 fence around it, but my Johnagolds were producing 2nd year, so I am hopeful.
Still, it is sad to see this one go.