Ducks 4 in '24

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Last Friday DH took me to lunch, with his office mate, and we stopped at the same garden bc they had a "Garlic" sign out. They had put out about 20 more bulbs, so I bought another 7 bulbs, still $1/bulb.
Here is one link to current online costs, and the prices here are for ONE BULB. $32.95/bulb (original price) EVERYBODY is about the same price--I checked them out.
Starting to get tomatoes in. Here was a huge beefsteak which DH and I had with lunch, and there are enough other fruit for BLT's for dinner tonight. Can you tell that DH harvested this?!?
There were also a couple of big Martini hybrid cucumbers. In anticipation of a beef roast for Sunday dinner, I took out a couple of bones and a package of "soup bones" , which have some meat on them, and started them in crock pot saturday morning with garlic powder and onion powder. Thick broth before I added potatoes and carrots mid sunday morning, and let the roast defrost saturday night, adding That at noon.
The beef roast was falling apart, no need for steak knives. I had fished out the meat Sunday morning to cool off and feed to Eva, and I packaged up the bones to add Back to the crock pot for pressure canning Monday morning.
We Really need to have some winter beef soup and beef stew, with broth as the base!!
Tomato, beefsteak for lunch, 09-10-24.jpg
Beef broth and cucumber, 09-09-24.jpg

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

BTW, there is a native 3 ft tall goldenrod, it's called a "Zigzag Goldenrod," and I have seen one on a local gardening program, Grown locally.
Also, you have to, have to, HAVE TO weed these. Over the centuries invasive plants and flowers, that is, those plants and flowers without local natural enemies to feed on them, try to take over and must be pulled out by hand.
It.can.be.done.
One of these is a native of Great Britain, Queen Anne's Lace, but it spreads like crazy here bc nothing eats it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, this IS the most humane method for a quick death.
Invasive doesn't mean a plant or animal is a bad plant or animal.
I took an Environmental Biology class some 22 years ago, and the definition has not changed since then.
INVASIVE (def.):
1) non-native (or alien) to the ecosystem under consideration and,
2) whose introduction causes or is likely to cause economic or environmental harm or harm to human health.
{More to read: https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/what-are-invasive-species)
They have NO natural predators and animals who Might predate on them have refused to do so, therefore they overpopulate and compete with local animals and plants, sometimes creating extinction of a native species.
THEREFORE, it is important to consider eating/eradication of an invasive species.

I am always interested in creative ways to do so.
IF this crab is edible and tasty, just like the Asian Carp is edible and tasty AND healthy, I am ALL FOR dropping them in boiling water and serving them up in a restaurant.
Another invasive species comes to mind, the Asian Pear. They were sold to US homeowners with the promise that insects would not attack them, but first they were a solution to pear fire blight.
They were right, insects DIDN'T eat them, but birds carried their seeds to local and adjacent forests and NOW, there is a danger that ...
"Now, Callery pear are growing in almost any roadside or old field in Illinois. The fast-growing Callery pear really is a threat to young forests and tree plantings, where it can overwhelm young tree seedlings and rob them of light and space, and to prairie and grassland communities, where young seedlings can quickly dominate the landscape.
outdoor.wildlifeillinois.org › articles › new-invasive-plants-on-the-illinois-landscape
There is a concerted effort to eradicate the Callery Pear from native forests, cut them down before they produce seeds and, as anybody knows who has chopped down a tree, to make sure that suckers and waterspouts don't reproduce the plant, in the same way that my old red apple tree has regenerated into a productive member of my fruit tree population.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
HOW CAN I BUY THEM?
I did a search to see who is selling these seeds.
NONE of the seed companies I have heard of are selling it, at least Not for 2025.
Other sites say they will sell to you.
Personally, I'm not gonna buy ANYTHING gardening from Temu, not really interested in buying seeds from eBay or Amazon.
This is the only site selling them with any credibility, IMHO.
Not sure Why the big garden seed catalogs don't carry them. It could be a licensing issue, OR, a "wait and see" situation. Anyway, I DID a search bc, like YOU, I have a certain amount of trust from seed catalogs that I have purchased from in the past. Although I haven't bought anything from them, I understand that this is a joint multinational company.

IMG_1068.JPG

Purple Tomato seeds for home gardeners​

Home Gardener seed sales will open December 2, 2024 for the 2025 season.

Growing tips for home gardeners.

Home Gardener seed sale press release.
Jennifer Nelson announced last Spring that she bought the seeds and was going to report back about viability, etc.
At THAT TIME, she said that the seeds for the Purple GMO tomatoes were $2/seed
The above post has the video with her report. She is a University of Illinois Graduate from the College of A.C.E.S.
and she mentions in the above program that she did her dissertation on plant genetics, meaning that she has at least a Masters in Ag, though she could have received a PhD--dunno--but she has freely admitted plant failures in the past, so I trust her advice on this new tomato.

Last edited: