Partly Cloudy
50°/35°

Thu 02

Partly Cloudy
53°/37°

Fri 03
Partly Cloudy
56°/38
Weather channel is saying we'll get our first frost Saturday night! It's late October! Oh, please let these long, warm, gorgeous autumns last forever 🙏🙏🙏

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Agreed!!
Yesterday I harvested 20 more cucumbers--simply bowled over that they have produced for me--AND enough green beans to blanche and freeze 3 quarts worth AND a handful of carrots.
DH has laid dibs on those carrots. We had a vegetable tray with Sunday's dinner. I had decided to boil the leftovers for lunch this week. DH also had his eye on the carrots and the ranch dressing.
Hoping These carrots taste better.
I plan to grow carrots next year in pots. We got very dry and I couldn't pull them out until we had a heavy rain. I scattered a LOT of carrot seeds and only got about a dozen.
Gotta be a better way!!
I also only harvested 6 ripe tomatoes. It's been chilly and the tomatoes have stayed cold and green.
Next week is our "Indian Summer" with temperatures up around 80, so I should get more.
Only canned 2 1/2 pints of tomatoes yesterday. I put the cucumbers on the porch, the others are in the fridge and today I plan to make sweet pickles.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks', pelleted carrot seed works really well for me. They are sown so shallow and take so long to germinate that drying out becomes a good possibility. The clay around the seed holds moisture well.

Also, corn starch in water has also worked fine. I can't do it the  proper way that the farmers use for a gel seeding. It still works just to put a trail of gel down and sprinkle seeds on it. If I put the seeds in the gel, the drops contain too many seeds and too much thinning is needed later.

Steve, with arid conditions advice

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sad news, about a week ago eldest DD's cat, "Purrkins" passed away.
There was something REALLY physically wrong with him. He stopped eating after having had a fall a few months ago that left him limping and uncoordinated .
Then, he was just laying under a chair with jerking motions. The Vet couldn't make it out in timne, but ALL agreed that there wasn't much to be done.
He came to us 1/2 dead and maybe he was sick the whole time.
DD was devastated, but I reminded her that earlier in the year, when they were out of town and I went to their house to feed the 2 cats, that Purrkins had sought me out to be petted and to purr.
He was a shy cat, but he may have been hurting the whole time.
DD gave him 8 years that he never would have had, out of kindness.
She was the only one that he truly loved.
I found a spot in one of my beds for him to be buried.
2nd best animal friend to go this year.
We will miss him. 😢
Purrkins,, 2015-2023.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you thin your carrots @ducks4you ? Or did only 12 of the seeds you planted sprout?
Carrots thinned themselves. I need to find a better way. The ones I harvested were tasty, just meager.
Then, again, DH reminded me that his mom never could grow them.
I am in good company.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
DD's were gone this weekend, so I had to feed their remaining cat, "Troll Bridge."
I left them a 30 pound present.
I honestly DON'T remember growing a pumpkin that looked like this one. I think the seeds are a result of crosspollination. Still, biggest one I have ever grown. The smaller one, still on the single vine, is also pretty big.

Attachments

• Pumpkin for DD's, 2023, #1.jpg
    Pumpkin for DD's, 2023, #1.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Pumpkin for DD's, 2023, #2.jpg
    Pumpkin for DD's, 2023, #2.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Pumpkin for DD's, 2023, #3.jpg
    Pumpkin for DD's, 2023, #3.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 63

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Carrots thinned themselves. I need to find a better way. The ones I harvested were tasty, just meager.
Then, again, DH reminded me that his mom never could grow them.
I am in good company.
In this part of the world several of us grow “Bolero” carrot seed, from Johnny’s seeds. I’ll till 4-5 inches deep in the fall AND spring then trowel the bed smooth and use a dibble board for proper spacing and depth. Then use a little seeder to keep thinning to a minimum. Once i started paying that level of detail Carrots became something to brag about.
This is what a 3x12ft. Bed will generate, dibble board spacing is 3 1/2 inches by 1/2 in deep. Stored properly, we’ll be eating the last of these about the time i lift next years crop!

Attachments

• IMG_1289.jpeg
    IMG_1289.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Latest posts