DUCKS for THEE in 2023

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sad news, about a week ago eldest DD's cat, "Purrkins" passed away.
There was something REALLY physically wrong with him. He stopped eating after having had a fall a few months ago that left him limping and uncoordinated .
Then, he was just laying under a chair with jerking motions. The Vet couldn't make it out in timne, but ALL agreed that there wasn't much to be done.
He came to us 1/2 dead and maybe he was sick the whole time.
DD was devastated, but I reminded her that earlier in the year, when they were out of town and I went to their house to feed the 2 cats, that Purrkins had sought me out to be petted and to purr.
He was a shy cat, but he may have been hurting the whole time.
DD gave him 8 years that he never would have had, out of kindness.
She was the only one that he truly loved.
I found a spot in one of my beds for him to be buried.
2nd best animal friend to go this year.
We will miss him. 😢
View attachment 61641
Poor little Purrkins. May he rest in peace now that his suffering is over.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I missed this photo. When you plant the seeds package different flowers will sprout and flower at different times.View attachment 61642

cosmos are great bee food for mid-to-late summer and into the fall until the frosts take them down. plus we've never had the deer eat them completely - they may nibble to experiment but they don't seem to come back to forage them again after that. since they are an annual harvest some of the seeds as a back up. once you have a good patch of them going you'll have all the seeds you'll ever need.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sad news, about a week ago eldest DD's cat, "Purrkins" passed away.
There was something REALLY physically wrong with him. He stopped eating after having had a fall a few months ago that left him limping and uncoordinated .
Then, he was just laying under a chair with jerking motions. The Vet couldn't make it out in timne, but ALL agreed that there wasn't much to be done.
He came to us 1/2 dead and maybe he was sick the whole time.
DD was devastated, but I reminded her that earlier in the year, when they were out of town and I went to their house to feed the 2 cats, that Purrkins had sought me out to be petted and to purr.
He was a shy cat, but he may have been hurting the whole time.
DD gave him 8 years that he never would have had, out of kindness.
She was the only one that he truly loved.
I found a spot in one of my beds for him to be buried.
2nd best animal friend to go this year.
We will miss him. 😢
View attachment 61641
Poor Mr. Purrkins, such a beautiful kitty. But so wonderful that your DD gave him 8 years of love. :hugs

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DD's were gone this weekend, so I had to feed their remaining cat, "Troll Bridge."
I left them a 30 pound present.
I honestly DON'T remember growing a pumpkin that looked like this one. I think the seeds are a result of crosspollination. Still, biggest one I have ever grown. The smaller one, still on the single vine, is also pretty big.
Looks just like Musquee de Provence! Gorgeous! :ep ❤️

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ducks Frost Alert has turned into Ducks FREEZE ALERT!!! :eek:
Thu 26
PM Showers
78°/64°

Fri 27
PM Thunderstorms
79°/44°

Sat 28
Mostly Cloudy
59°/48°

Sun 29
Rain
53°/32°

Mon 30
Partly Cloudy
43°/26°

Tue 31
Mostly Sunny
43°/23°

Wed 01
Sunny
44°/27°

Thu 02
Partly Cloudy
48°/33°

Gonna have to harvest E V E R Y T H I N G by Sunday afternoon.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to get cat food yesterday, down to less than 1 cup and that won't feed 6 cats.
I stopped at the Lutheran Church in town that sells pumpkins every year and picked up 5 pie pumpkins, $3/each. I LOVE buying from them every year bc it is their fall fundraiser and they are always So nice! :hugs
The pumpkins made it to the side entrance cement steps. DH thought I had created an arrangement. No, that's just as far they made it. Today they will be moved to the front porch floor and I plan to process them this weekend.
Now family wants a pie.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are the pie pumpkins, at writing NOT moved, and my meager sweet pepper harvest, which should have all been red bells. They are all Eva approved.
Pie pumpkins and peppers, 10-25-23.jpg

DD is instructed to use them all up asap, and maybe I will need to cut up a freeze a few for cooking.

Latest posts