DUCKS for THEE in 2023

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Had to get cat food yesterday, down to less than 1 cup and that won't feed 6 cats.
I stopped at the Lutheran Church in town that sells pumpkins every year and picked up 5 pie pumpkins, $3/each. I LOVE buying from them every year bc it is their fall fundraiser and they are always So nice! :hugs
The pumpkins made it to the side entrance cement steps. DH thought I had created an arrangement. No, that's just as far they made it. Today they will be moved to the front porch floor and I plan to process them this weekend.
Now family wants a pie.
Oh I also want a pie! :drool

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
INGREDIENTS
15 oz pumpkin puree--that means you can use 1 can of pumpkin, or measure out fresh
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
2-3 large eggs
1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or mix your own)
½ teaspoon salt
1 pie crust

INSTRUCTIONS

Prepare your pie dough and place it in a 9" pie plate. Chill until ready to bake.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix until combined.
15 oz pumpkin puree, 14 oz sweetened condensed milk, 2 large eggs, 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, ½ teaspoon salt
Pour into prepared pie crust and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake an additional 35-40 minutes. Watch the crust and cover the edges if necessary. The pie should be mostly set when it is done, with just a slight jiggle in the center.
Cool at room temperature for 2 hours and then chill until ready to serve.
Store in the refrigerator wrapped loosely in plastic wrap for up to 3-4 days or freeze for up to 2 months.

Pie dough for 2 crusts, so use ~1/2
flour: shortening (or butter):water (iced)
3:1:1
Add the water slowly. If it's humid your won't need all of it, if it's low humidity, you will
Keep the pie crust cool until needed. I always roll it out betwen 2 pieces of wax paper, then transfer

People that don't like pumpkin pie LIKE this one better than one with milk and sugar. Don't know why, just what I have seen over the years.
I LOVE all kinds of pumpkin pie recipes.
This one is so easy.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
INGREDIENTS
15 oz pumpkin puree--that means you can use 1 can of pumpkin, or measure out fresh
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
2-3 large eggs
1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or mix your own)
½ teaspoon salt
1 pie crust

INSTRUCTIONS

Prepare your pie dough and place it in a 9" pie plate. Chill until ready to bake.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix until combined.
15 oz pumpkin puree, 14 oz sweetened condensed milk, 2 large eggs, 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, ½ teaspoon salt
Pour into prepared pie crust and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake an additional 35-40 minutes. Watch the crust and cover the edges if necessary. The pie should be mostly set when it is done, with just a slight jiggle in the center.
Cool at room temperature for 2 hours and then chill until ready to serve.
Store in the refrigerator wrapped loosely in plastic wrap for up to 3-4 days or freeze for up to 2 months.

Pie dough for 2 crusts, so use ~1/2
flour: shortening (or butter):water (iced)
3:1:1
Add the water slowly. If it's humid your won't need all of it, if it's low humidity, you will
Keep the pie crust cool until needed. I always roll it out betwen 2 pieces of wax paper, then transfer

People that don't like pumpkin pie LIKE this one better than one with milk and sugar. Don't know why, just what I have seen over the years.
I LOVE all kinds of pumpkin pie recipes.
This one is so easy.
I'm trying this recipe tomorrow! Wish me luck!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i love pumpkin anything. :)

one we've been doing recently is cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and pumpkin puree and any spices desired. all to taste...

for me it is about 16oz of cream cheese to 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and 1 can of pumpkin puree and a lot more spices than Mom can tolerate so i have to tone those down for her.

the method is to whip the cream cheese first (don't warm it up IMO just have a good mixer) and then add the SCM and then fold in the puree and spices.

no crust. we don't do crusts (@digitS' can have all ours :) ) but we do use graham cracker crusts for ones we give to other people.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here we go! I precooked the crusts for 10 min first. I doubled the amount of pies, cause I've never used condensed milk before and it seems like it's pretty sweet, so I used one can for 2 pies. 🤞 So curious to try this. I don't have pumpkin pie spice, so I ground up some cloves and grated some nutmeg, threw in some cinnamon and winged it. In they go.
3C54929E-59A1-4BDD-9D0E-A011ED30745A.jpeg

@flowerbug I've never heard of pumpkin pie filling with cream cheese in it, is that your family's recipe?

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here we go! I precooked the crusts for 10 min first. I doubled the amount of pies, cause I've never used condensed milk before and it seems like it's pretty sweet, so I used one can for 2 pies. 🤞 So curious to try this. I don't have pumpkin pie spice, so I ground up some cloves and grated some nutmeg, threw in some cinnamon and winged it. View attachment 61745

@flowerbug I've never heard of pumpkin pie filling with cream cheese in it, is that your family's recipe?
How do the pies taste? They look good!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How do the pies taste? They look good!
They were really good, perfect amount of sweetness. What I really liked was how fast they cooked up, way faster than when made with cream. Texture was just right. We don't normally eat pumpkin pie without chilling overnight in the fridge but we couldn't help ourselves and tried it at room temp. The real test will be how they taste tomorrow!

Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i love pumpkin anything. :)

one we've been doing recently is cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and pumpkin puree and any spices desired. all to taste...

for me it is about 16oz of cream cheese to 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and 1 can of pumpkin puree and a lot more spices than Mom can tolerate so i have to tone those down for her.

the method is to whip the cream cheese first (don't warm it up IMO just have a good mixer) and then add the SCM and then fold in the puree and spices.

no crust. we don't do crusts (@digitS' can have all ours :) ) but we do use graham cracker crusts for ones we give to other people.
Walnuts and maple syrup make a more than passable pie crust! Similar in application to a graham cracker crust; not pretty but very good!

Latest posts