Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I started summer pruning and prepared those stems for the compost.
9342(1).jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The collections are having progress. :D
9353.jpg

We have good amount of rain, just lacking the warmth.
9352.jpg

Sunflowers are growing actively, although the sunlight hours are not as many as the first half of July. I removed some of them and cut the stems into pieces for composting.
9357.jpg

9358.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The collections are having progress. :D
View attachment 59210

We have good amount of rain, just lacking the warmth.
View attachment 59211
Sunflowers are growing actively, although the sunlight hours are not as many as the first half of July. I removed some of them and cut the stems into pieces for composting.
View attachment 59213
View attachment 59214
Phaedra, your pictures are so amazing! You could add blank note cards with your beautiful pictures printed on the outside to your future shop!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The rainy and windy days remain, so I could only work during the pauses, mostly pruning. However, I had a lot of seedlings and cuttings waiting; I finished most of them this morning.

Let me share the charming Calla Lilies 'Captain Rosette' - my 2023 favorite variety in the cut flower patch. I am keeping them in the pots (to avoid them from voles) and feeding them every several weeks. Hopefully, I can multiply them successfully in some more years.
9365.jpg

Newbies that are waiting to be transplanted or turned into cuttings, checked.
9371.jpg

Petunia cuttings, my first trial - 9 among 10 survived and rooted well. I changed them into 7cm nursery pots. I plan to have them growing in the window box of my shop.
9366.jpg

I cut and prepared the upper parts of potted basils into cuttings right after taking them home. They usually root within two weeks in the water and can be transplanted into areas with some shades before they are further established.

9368.jpg

One of the Azaleas I divided from one pot and prepared as a Bonsai -

One day, I shared a lesson I learned from plants with DH. Through the years, I am no longer the person I used to be. Parts of me died and are forever gone, but meanwhile, parts of me are sprouting, growing, and trying to embrace what is brought into my journey.

This Azalea reminds me again about that lesson.
9370.jpg

Another hour of manual hard work - pruning for the next batch of compost

I am thinking of the 'support species' in the Permaculture that people use to cut back and let them become nutrition for other fruit trees. It isn't easy to carry such a method in our garden, but some plants, like Forsythia, might play a similar role. They produce so many new shoots and easily become monsters. However, those green woods are wonderful materials for adding to the compost.

I also cleaned up some sunflowers these days and cut the stems into smaller pieces. Well, with all those green, brown materials and chicken manure - I am confident about a self-sufficient compost supply for next year.

9364.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...I am thinking of the 'support species' in the Permaculture that people use to cut back and let them become nutrition for other fruit trees.

commonly called "Chop and drop." :) in an arid climate it's very very useful to have any kind of shade and windbreak but also to have any kind of organic matter helping to hold in moisture and also for the humic acids which help offset the alkaline nature of many arid soils.

life supports life. we just help it along as best we can and try to pay attention... :)

It isn't easy to carry such a method in our garden, but some plants, like Forsythia, might play a similar role. They produce so many new shoots and easily become monsters. However, those green woods are wonderful materials for adding to the compost.

they're so pretty in the spring with those bright yellow flowers.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have picked some harvest today and felt so content.
9383.jpg

I love our runner beans!
9384.jpg

The lemon balm leaves I collected on Monday are fully dried, so I ground and stored them in a jar. Then, I picked again some sage, mint, and raspberry leaves.

I harvested more scallions, too. It's really nice to have an outdoor working bench where I can directly clean the veggies and immediately recycle the water.
9389.jpg

9385.jpg

Life is quiet and pleasant.
9388.jpg

9390.jpg

Latest posts