Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I see how this part of the garden looked like in April and now, kind of shock. It's not fair, I know, after all, winter just left and everything looks awful.
messageImage_1693162822521.jpg

Now, all the transplanted plants (from divided perennials) are properly established, and we have sufficient rain in both July and August - it's totally different view.
10878.jpg

And the flower bed I just arranged two weeks ago -- as expected, the plants adapted well. We have one more lovely corner that offers flowers, herbs, berries, and veggies.
10861.jpg

As most of the plants are perennials, they will show their true beauty from the next growing season, I believe.
10848_0.jpg

The only annual is this spot - small-flower marigold; the flowers are small, but the plant itself is very bushy.
P8270616.JPG

Summer raspberry propagated from a basal shoot with a certain amount of roots - although it is still small and young, it flowers and generously offer three raspberries already. :D
10855.jpg

Not just happy updates, here comes some miserable victims - Dahlias, murdered by voles again. As Dahlia is safe for the chickens, it became their weekend treat. Not only Dahlias, but also two pumpkins, two MUMs, and one tomato. I arranged the traps and got three.

No choice, I will keep doing this trap thing for another while.
10430.jpg

I also did some pruning - one of the compost heap is almost full, and the summer heap is always packed with tons of green materials.
10876.jpg

The naked stems will stay in the hoop tunnel and be used for plant supports for the next growing season.
10875.jpg

We had our brunch in the garden shed this morning, and both dogs stayed with us.
10882.jpg

DH and I transplanted one young cherry tree and two peonies in the evening. I still have several roses to move to the new spot tomorrow. When I was a newbie gardener, I planted six roses in the west facing side - so they suffered a lot during high summer days through the years. It's time to move them to where they can enjoy full sun in the morning, and some shades in the afternoon.

Don't know why, but I feel that this year passes so fast.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Monday for cooking!
But I did enjoy some quiet and inspiring moments in the garden before serving my family. Lilies are at their end - I harvested half of them today, and the other half tomorrow, I guess.
10940.jpg

@digitS' Steve, the double oriental Lilies (Lotus Lilies) are still fragrant, but much better than those single petal varieties like 'Stargazer,' which I totally can't bring them indoors. Besides, the double oriental lilies are either pollen free or very little pollen. I would purchase more bulbs for next year, they are ideal cash crops in summer.
10941.jpg

I got a pretty dark colored Dahlia and I love it!
10930.jpg

From these two buckets, I can arrange at least another two luxurious bouquets.
10931.jpg

I collected some more tomatoes and beans. Whatever in the hoop tunnel would be gradually removed, so I can add new compost in it.
10932.jpg

My first and the only Kajari melon - growing in the container in the greenhouse - finally some orange color appears! The other melons growing outdoors or even in the hoop tunnel didn't make it. This is the only one I got for this year, but it looks very very appealing. I guess it will be up to 1.5kg.
10929.jpg

The weather is pleasant in the morning, so I walked the dogs with DD to the bus stop. DD went to school, and we three had a good walk.
10891.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And, here comes the cooking part!

Fried-Noodles for DD and I, with mussels and garlic chives
10937.jpg

Fruity yogurt
10938.jpg

Food for two dogs - rice, zucchini, beans, pork, pork heart, pork Kidney, chicken liver, mussels, fish, and plain yogurt. It's an one-pot dish, simple but flavorful.
10939.jpg

10936.jpg

Food for cats - they have beef, lamp liver, pork kidney, pork heart, sardine, mussel, yogurt, fresh cat mint, and unseasoned bone broth.
10943.jpg

As we shared most of the ingredients, preparing food like this is more cost-effective for me than buying canned or packaged food from the shops, also with much less packaging wastes.
10935.jpg

I also made some chili ketchup, yummy!
10944.jpg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And, here comes the cooking part!

Fried-Noodles for DD and I, with mussels and garlic chives
View attachment 60102
Fruity yogurt
View attachment 60103

Food for two dogs - rice, zucchini, beans, pork, pork heart, pork Kidney, chicken liver, mussels, fish, and plain yogurt. It's an one-pot dish, simple but flavorful.
View attachment 60104

View attachment 60105

Food for cats - they have beef, lamp liver, pork kidney, pork heart, sardine, mussel, yogurt, fresh cat mint, and unseasoned bone broth.
View attachment 60106
As we shared most of the ingredients, preparing food like this is more cost-effective for me than buying canned or packaged food from the shops, also with much less packaging wastes.
View attachment 60107

I also made some chili ketchup, yummy!
View attachment 60108You and your lucky pets dine like kings and queens! You make the most healthy and delicious looking dishes.
( Love your two beautiful dogs!)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another ordinary day, I spent some time harvesting in the garden. They are so pretty.
11071.jpg

11124.jpg

I do enjoy working outside when the weather is mild, and the working bench is very helpful. As usual, water used for rinsing was immediately went to different areas for other plants.

We will have rain for the coming days, so I gave the plants their final soaking before transplantation.
11073_0.jpg

With the carrot leaves, some spinach, and basils, I made Pesto. I prefer simple recipe, so my Pesto has only salt, virgin olive oil, herbs, and leafy greens.
11138.jpg

Pesto, ham, gouda cheese -- 5 mins in the oven (preheated to 180 degree C)
11139.jpg

Before serving, sprinkle some fried onion on the top, heaven! It's cost-effective and super delicious.
11137.jpg

There are flowers everywhere in the house. :D
11077.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another ordinary day, I spent some time harvesting in the garden. They are so pretty.
View attachment 60144

View attachment 60145

I do enjoy working outside when the weather is mild, and the working bench is very helpful. As usual, water used for rinsing was immediately went to different areas for other plants.

We will have rain for the coming days, so I gave the plants their final soaking before transplantation.
View attachment 60146

With the carrot leaves, some spinach, and basils, I made Pesto. I prefer simple recipe, so my Pesto has only salt, virgin olive oil, herbs, and leafy greens.
View attachment 60148
Pesto, ham, gouda cheese -- 5 mins in the oven (preheated to 180 degree C)
View attachment 60149

Before serving, sprinkle some fried onion on the top, heaven! It's cost-effective and super delicious.
View attachment 60150

There are flowers everywhere in the house. :D
View attachment 60151
Yum that pesto looks tasty! I want to come over to your house for lunch! 😍

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another cold summer day, the temperature before noon time was only 9 degree C. I 'renovated' this last standing planter, kept soaking indoor plants, and cleaned the greenhouse a bit. I removed the ivy from the pot, as some stems grew into the center pot and took too much nutrition away. However, I will relocate them for other purposes.
11176.jpg

An outdoor working bench is really helpful, I love it! Those small tables were washed and would be used in my shop.
11179.jpg

Then, lunch time - I made rice noodle soup, very tasty. All the veggies - french beans, basil, and swiss chard were harvested from the garden.
11178.jpg

The interior of the shop is 90% done, totally different from the original spooky space. The kitchen set will be installed next Friday, and then I can finally move many things into it.
11177.jpg

One of our cats, Nikko (Sunlight) did this funny gesture today, and it reminded me about our dog, Bobo, also did this once.
11174.jpg

I also did some sewing practice today (almost forgot everything!). I usually bought heavily discounted pillowcases from Zara. There weren't too many choices during seasonal sales, but I always got some very good quality and pretty ones with very low prices.

Like this one I got last week, 2.99 Euro.
螢幕擷取畫面 2023-08-31 153705.jpg

My initial idea is to collect pretty ones and use them for patchwork, but in fact, they can be used for many things.
11173.jpg

Aren't they lovely?
11169.jpg

My sewing skill is level 0.2, but it's enough to make something pretty for the household. I only used half of the pillowcase, and it's absolutely a steal.
11168.jpg

Who also loves Tiramisu?
11175.jpg

2023 August is becoming a part of history, and tomorrow is another new day.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another cold summer day, the temperature before noon time was only 9 degree C. I 'renovated' this last standing planter, kept soaking indoor plants, and cleaned the greenhouse a bit. I removed the ivy from the pot, as some stems grew into the center pot and took too much nutrition away. However, I will relocate them for other purposes.
View attachment 60198
An outdoor working bench is really helpful, I love it! Those small tables were washed and would be used in my shop.
View attachment 60199
Then, lunch time - I made rice noodle soup, very tasty. All the veggies - french beans, basil, and swiss chard were harvested from the garden.
View attachment 60200
The interior of the shop is 90% done, totally different from the original spooky space. The kitchen set will be installed next Friday, and then I can finally move many things into it.
View attachment 60201

One of our cats, Nikko (Sunlight) did this funny gesture today, and it reminded me about our dog, Bobo, also did this once.
View attachment 60202

one of those pictures does not belong and that contains the key to why it happens. i will let you think of this and see if you know why... ;)

Latest posts