Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Once we bought a spider plant for the living room in my FIL's house, and we brought it back after he moved to the nursing home.
11796.jpg

After its blossom this year, many daughter plants showed up. I put each of them in the mini pot (5cm) and let them stay somewhere without direct sunlight. After some weeks, it looks like they are doing fine and keep growing.
11778.jpg

I decided to check if they root, and they did!
11777.jpg

11776.jpg

The mother plant also needs a bigger 'apartment.'
11794.jpg

So, the mother and daughter plants all got their new place to grow. I also got four rooted geraniums from summer pruned cuttings.
11788.jpg

Napa cabbages are developing the hearts, look delicious to me.
11767.jpg

Zinnias are happy about the warm weather.
11779.jpg

Bees are happy, too.
11780.jpg

The summer heap so far maintains a good temperature, and we will turn it next week.
11786.jpg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The shop is 70% ready, and the display fridge arrives just in time.
View attachment 60356
View attachment 60359
I baked a loaf this morning, as it can always offer charming smell. Fresh toast and coffee, better than any fragrance.
View attachment 60357

This is in fact a small display area for my other products like bouquets and other handmade stuff, but it can be also used for providing two seperate seats or a longer table for more people.
View attachment 60358

Window seat and its view
View attachment 60360

It will be a nice place to enjoy coffee and read the sky (or books).
View attachment 60361

Still some works to do, but I am already amazed by how different this space is now. I wish, it is a warm and lovely spot in this corner of town.
Lovely! I take it your shop also doubles as a cafe?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I worked about two hours in the garden this afternoon, majorly cleaned up the raised beds and replenished a thick layer of compost.

Autumn raspberry, very lovely color and pleasing flavor.
11857.jpg

Homemade compost is never perfect (and not need to be perfect) but very helpful.
11810.jpg

I also dug out two snapdragons that I pruned about two weeks ago. I want to keep them in the greenhouse to overwinter. It's interesting to see how new basal shoots grew from the bottom. Anyway, I guess this is a sign of a happy and thriving snapdragon.
11799.jpg

After growing Crocosmias, I felt in love with them. This is a common variety here called 'Lucifer.'
11783.jpg

The cyclamen I bought last year - it stayed indoors until this spring. Now it's time for their new dresses.
11808.jpg

11803.jpg

11805.jpg

I want to see their flowers much more than cook them.
11802.jpg

My favorite corner now, so adorable!
11801.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The thunderstorm didn't come (yet), so I harvested some veggies. In fact, it's a lot of food. :love
12018.jpg

Scallions grew from seeds.
12010.jpg

I picked more than expected, well, maybe it will really rain a lot and I don't want them crack...
12008.jpg

The San Marzarno tomatoes are reaching the best status for making ketchup or sauce.
12007.jpg

Well, I believe pollinators love my garden. :D
12009.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Due to the curiosity, I dug out two calla lilies and wanted to see how their bulbs grew. Most of them are growing in the pots because I was not sure if voles love them like tulips and dahlias.

The answer is no, at least in my garden, voles showed no interests in them (too many other more delicious choices?). Anyway, the two I dug out grew in the pots. I did feed them from time to time with the diluted seaweed extract, but that was all. Most of the foliage are still pretty ok, so I just picked two were comparatively consumed.
12276.jpg

To my surprise, the bulbs grow very very well!
12275.jpg

Besides the original bulbs (the color is deeper), there are many new bulbs growing next to them. Can I say, calla lily is easy to naturalize? :)
12274.jpg

I kept refilling beds with homemade compost and directly sowing leafy greens.
12236.jpg

To prevent blackbirds from murdering my seedlings....
12399.jpg

Meanwhile, we are building the 3-bay compost area, which is easier for us to turn each heap at least once.
The 3-Bay area can be used for some gardening tool storage. As the center one won't be used until next growing season, it's now a temporary outdoor warehouse.
12409.jpg

The earliest MUMs this year, they are the granddaughter plants propagated from the 2021 plants. It's very easy to keep their circle of life going on.
12407.jpg

The very early Aster - those are propagated from this spring division.
12406.jpg

Aster from the division (left), MUMs from the cuttings (right) - both are waiting to show off their beauty soon.
12408.jpg

At the other side, the new flower bed that was built one month ago is full of colors. Along the journey, I am learning while enjoying what they offer every day. Those plants just nourished me.
12404.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Due to the curiosity, I dug out two calla lilies and wanted to see how their bulbs grew. Most of them are growing in the pots because I was not sure if voles love them like tulips and dahlias.

The answer is no, at least in my garden, voles showed no interests in them (too many other more delicious choices?). Anyway, the two I dug out grew in the pots. I did feed them from time to time with the diluted seaweed extract, but that was all. Most of the foliage are still pretty ok, so I just picked two were comparatively consumed.
View attachment 60623
To my surprise, the bulbs grow very very well!
View attachment 60624

Besides the original bulbs (the color is deeper), there are many new bulbs growing next to them. Can I say, calla lily is easy to naturalize? :)
View attachment 60625

I kept refilling beds with homemade compost and directly sowing leafy greens.
View attachment 60627

To prevent blackbirds from murdering my seedlings....
View attachment 60633

Meanwhile, we are building the 3-bay compost area, which is easier for us to turn each heap at least once.
The 3-Bay area can be used for some gardening tool storage. As the center one won't be used until next growing season, it's now a temporary outdoor warehouse.
View attachment 60628
The earliest MUMs this year, they are the granddaughter plants propagated from the 2021 plants. It's very easy to keep their circle of life going on.
View attachment 60629
The very early Aster - those are propagated from this spring division.
View attachment 60630
Aster from the division (left), MUMs from the cuttings (right) - both are waiting to show off their beauty soon.
View attachment 60631
At the other side, the new flower bed that was built one month ago is full of colors. Along the journey, I am learning while enjoying what they offer every day. Those plants just nourished me.
View attachment 60632
How long have you been gardening and working with plants? You definitely have the knack for it!

Latest posts