Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How long have you been gardening and working with plants? You definitely have the knack for it!
I started gardening and working with plants in 2016, about one year after I moved to Germany. At that time, we lived with my FIL, who loves gardening very much. He has a small house in a pretty remote location, where he escaped from his wife. His major gardening works were all done there.

DH and I also liked to stay there during the weekend, so eventually, I wanted to try gardening, too. My FIL told me that I can use the garden in Cologne, as he didn't have time for that small garden. He also bought me six strawberry plants and told me that strawberry is always a good start for amateur gardeners.

That's how I started my adventure in the gardening universe. I did invest a lot of time but I learned quickly as I was kind of soaking in reading and hands-on practices. After we moved out in 2018 and had our own garden, there were even more trial-and-errors. Some were ridiculous when I examine them now.

Gardening has allowed me to embrace new challenges and step outside my comfort zone. I also realized that it's fine to be different. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today is DD's 20-year-old birthday, and the day I am a mother for 20 years. I got up early and planned to 'renovate' her favorite light jacket, that she 'customized' from cutting up a hoodie years ago.

I usually didn't pay too much attention to such teenager creativity, as long as they feel comfortable and not cause troubles for others, it's totally fine for me.
12417.jpg

My skill using the sewing machine is very limited, but it won't prevent me from trying. Besides, it's always good to have a motivation to keep practicing. For any place I can't do properly with the machine, hand sewing is never out of date. My goal is simple - let the pockets work again, hide those broken edges, and try to add a snap button.
12418.jpg

My small fuzz remover also worked hard.
12419.jpg

The right side already looks much better. :D
12416.jpg

For the tricky places, I just used hand sewing.
12413.jpg

It's not something fancy, but an optimal solution under current constraints! :lol:
12420.jpg

The small light outside the shop is ready, too. Instead of ordering an expensive light box, I found a normal entryway light with a matte white glass cover. So I ordered the stickers and got a similar (and better, imo) effect with a much lower cost.

12317.jpg

Staring at my grapes, I suddenly felt that I should use the same protection for my sweet corns.
12397.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hens' breakfast this morning with the commercial feed underneath - I once wrote an small story about this.
12496.jpg

Whispers in the Garden: Ep1. Henhouse at Dawn

It was another sunny morning, and the garden came alive with the cheerful chirping of early birds, hopping from branch to branch. Inside the cozy henhouse, the lively conversations of the hens filled the air.

"Oh, how my feathers flutter with memories of the old days when we could freely wander in and out of the coop," sighed Emma, a gentle and nostalgic hen, her voice filled with longing.

"Yes, indeed. But let's not forget the frightful fate of those two poor souls from the neighboring coop who encountered a mischievous weasel last autumn. Oh, it sends shivers down my feathers!" clucked Beatrice, a cautious and observant hen, with a shudder.

"Patience, young girls. It’s for our safety," advised Matilda, a wise old hen with a regal air. "Let's divert our thoughts to the delightful breakfast that awaits us. It's the most helpful meditation in the morning, I guarantee."

The eager anticipation grew as they discussed their breakfast desires.

"I have faith that Phaedra will bring us a feast," chirped Gigi, a spirited and hopeful hen. "I can't wait to peck into something extraordinary!"

"Oh, how my beak craves the savory taste of shrimp shells!" exclaimed Bella, an excitable and adventurous hen, hopping with excitement.

"Bananas! It feels like forever since I last savored their sweet succulence," added Penelope, a gentle and whimsical hen, her feathers ruffling with delight.

Millie, always seeking excitement, yearned for a more diverse breakfast after some balanced-but-boring weekend meals. "Anything will do, as long as it's not just monotonous feed."

The eldest hen, Hazel, expressed her longing for peas. "Oh, the delightful burst of green goodness in my beak—it feels like an eternity since I've tasted them!"

Ruby, the confident and bold young hen, declared, "I, on the other wing, am dreaming of juicy apples, their crispness and refreshing sweetness."

The hens engaged in playful banter and exchanged laughter.

"Oh, dear, you underestimate the magic of apples. They are meant to be savored during our enchanting afternoon tea, with each bite turning into a delightful experience," giggled Hazel, imagining the joy.

As they continued their discussions, Gigi interrupted with excitement, "Hey, did anyone catch the whisper of distant music? Oh, I hope the gate opens soon! I don't want to rush back, leaving a tantalizing meal unfinished, just to lay a boring egg."

The mischievous Millie couldn't resist teasing, "Indeed! Each time I leave to lay an egg, whatever delectable vanished in a blink. Greedy munchers, you all are!"

The hens chuckled, well aware of their shared desire for delicious delights.

With Agatha taking charge, she commanded, "Listen, listen! The gate next door is finally creaking open. Let's form a charming line, ladies."

Excitement filled the air as breakfast was served, and the hens pecked and nibbled with joy, creating a symphony of clucks and trills.

"Oh, divine! Shrimp shells and cucumber, just as I dreamed last night!" exclaimed Bella, her heart fluttering with delight.

Agatha proudly clucked, "I stumbled upon a marvelous fish head, a hidden treasure for sure!"

As the feast continued, the hens shared their discoveries and surprises.

"Where did you find a fish head? I didn't see it, but look, there's something soft and chewy here—a delightful surprise!" shared Penelope, hopping with excitement.

Charlotte, a curious and eager hen, couldn't resist, "Excuse me, let me squeeze in! I can't resist the allure of that soft and chewy treat."

The hens savored their breakfast delights, their joyful clucks filling the air and creating a harmonious symphony of contentment. The sun beamed down on the henhouse, casting a warm and radiant glow on their happy faces.

And so, the day began with the delightful whispers of the henhouse, a prelude to the enchanting tales that unfolded amidst the vibrant garden. From the chattering squirrels to the melodious songs of the birds, from the gentle rustling of leaves to the delicate whispers of flowers, the garden buzzed with secret conversations and hidden wonders.

-----

But I didn't start Ep2 since then. :p

Maybe I should write something about these two?
12516.jpg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hens' breakfast this morning with the commercial feed underneath - I once wrote an small story about this. View attachment 60684

Whispers in the Garden: Ep1. Henhouse at Dawn

It was another sunny morning, and the garden came alive with the cheerful chirping of early birds, hopping from branch to branch. Inside the cozy henhouse, the lively conversations of the hens filled the air.

"Oh, how my feathers flutter with memories of the old days when we could freely wander in and out of the coop," sighed Emma, a gentle and nostalgic hen, her voice filled with longing.

"Yes, indeed. But let's not forget the frightful fate of those two poor souls from the neighboring coop who encountered a mischievous weasel last autumn. Oh, it sends shivers down my feathers!" clucked Beatrice, a cautious and observant hen, with a shudder.

"Patience, young girls. It’s for our safety," advised Matilda, a wise old hen with a regal air. "Let's divert our thoughts to the delightful breakfast that awaits us. It's the most helpful meditation in the morning, I guarantee."

The eager anticipation grew as they discussed their breakfast desires.

"I have faith that Phaedra will bring us a feast," chirped Gigi, a spirited and hopeful hen. "I can't wait to peck into something extraordinary!"

"Oh, how my beak craves the savory taste of shrimp shells!" exclaimed Bella, an excitable and adventurous hen, hopping with excitement.

"Bananas! It feels like forever since I last savored their sweet succulence," added Penelope, a gentle and whimsical hen, her feathers ruffling with delight.

Millie, always seeking excitement, yearned for a more diverse breakfast after some balanced-but-boring weekend meals. "Anything will do, as long as it's not just monotonous feed."

The eldest hen, Hazel, expressed her longing for peas. "Oh, the delightful burst of green goodness in my beak—it feels like an eternity since I've tasted them!"

Ruby, the confident and bold young hen, declared, "I, on the other wing, am dreaming of juicy apples, their crispness and refreshing sweetness."

The hens engaged in playful banter and exchanged laughter.

"Oh, dear, you underestimate the magic of apples. They are meant to be savored during our enchanting afternoon tea, with each bite turning into a delightful experience," giggled Hazel, imagining the joy.

As they continued their discussions, Gigi interrupted with excitement, "Hey, did anyone catch the whisper of distant music? Oh, I hope the gate opens soon! I don't want to rush back, leaving a tantalizing meal unfinished, just to lay a boring egg."

The mischievous Millie couldn't resist teasing, "Indeed! Each time I leave to lay an egg, whatever delectable vanished in a blink. Greedy munchers, you all are!"

The hens chuckled, well aware of their shared desire for delicious delights.

With Agatha taking charge, she commanded, "Listen, listen! The gate next door is finally creaking open. Let's form a charming line, ladies."

Excitement filled the air as breakfast was served, and the hens pecked and nibbled with joy, creating a symphony of clucks and trills.

"Oh, divine! Shrimp shells and cucumber, just as I dreamed last night!" exclaimed Bella, her heart fluttering with delight.

Agatha proudly clucked, "I stumbled upon a marvelous fish head, a hidden treasure for sure!"

As the feast continued, the hens shared their discoveries and surprises.

"Where did you find a fish head? I didn't see it, but look, there's something soft and chewy here—a delightful surprise!" shared Penelope, hopping with excitement.

Charlotte, a curious and eager hen, couldn't resist, "Excuse me, let me squeeze in! I can't resist the allure of that soft and chewy treat."

The hens savored their breakfast delights, their joyful clucks filling the air and creating a harmonious symphony of contentment. The sun beamed down on the henhouse, casting a warm and radiant glow on their happy faces.

And so, the day began with the delightful whispers of the henhouse, a prelude to the enchanting tales that unfolded amidst the vibrant garden. From the chattering squirrels to the melodious songs of the birds, from the gentle rustling of leaves to the delicate whispers of flowers, the garden buzzed with secret conversations and hidden wonders.

-----

But I didn't start Ep2 since then. :p

Maybe I should write something about these two?
View attachment 60686
Yes, I'd love to hear what your two dogs talk about! I now have serious chicken envy after reading your delightful "conversation of the hens." I love chickens and often wish we had gone forward with our plans to build a hen house a couple decades ago.
Your bountiful breakfast bowl for your hens reminds me of the feasts I used to prepare for our ancient old pony in her later years: pelleted alfalfa topped with all sorts of goodies: carrots, apples, bananas, oatmeal with molasses drizzled over. There is something so satisfying about feeding a gourmet diet to the animals that share our lives.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another hardworking day - I dug out gladiolus corns, cleaned them a bit, let dry, and store them in the tool shed until their foliage die down.
12599.jpg

Then, DH and I dug out three roses and one hydrangea from this very first flower bed we built when we moved in. We plan to rearrange this area with the rest of old pavers and turn here into an outdoor dining space. This might be the most even ground in our garden, and we should be able to make it during this weekend.
12600.jpg

The last puzzle of the hardware renovation in my shop was also done - the heater and the skirting board.
12601.jpg
I used this IKEA pegboard to hang menu, posters, and some other small products - they are cost-effective and can save a lot of work from drilling holes on the walls.
12604.jpg

Yesterday, we bought two 'ugly veggies and fruit' bags from Lidl. Each bag charges 3 Euros.
12606.jpg

These were what we got for spending 6 Euros - to be honest, a lot of food.
12607.jpg

After some cleaning up, they are totally pretty. I am happy to grow our own food, but I am also happy to save some when we can.
12608.jpg

Very little of the 'not that perfect' veggies and fruits went to the compost, like the cherry radish leaves; some of them became hens' brunch (with shrimp shells and chicken skin);

12580.jpg

12579.jpg

We had heavy rain in the past two days, so I didn't do much in the garden. Autumn is already here, and there are all kinds of Christmas products in the supermarkets, kind of ridiculous.