Phaedra's Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had a surprise health inspection yesterday! And it was right before opening (the busiest time for me, I was in the middle of whipping up some buttercream...)

I wasn't worried though, because I always clean the café thoroughly before closing, so it's ready to open right away the next day. The inspector, Ms. Y, has been coming since our place looked like a scary dungeon, so she's pretty familiar with us by now.

After looking around and finding everything in order, she asked if she could take two puddings to the lab for testing (didn’t know they did that). Or if we wanted to wait until next time. I said, go ahead, these puddings are made with just eggs, fresh milk, sugar, and vanilla—nothing to hide. She went back to her car, got two sealed jars, and packed up the puddings.

After she finished the inspection report and gave me a copy, I jokingly asked if she wanted a pudding (hahaha). She said she'd rather have a slice of chocolate cheesecake, and asked if the cranberry one was new because she’d never heard of it before.

22366.jpg

Haha, sure thing, no problem, I even threw in a cup of hand-brewed coffee. We actually had a great chat, but when she left, I was in a mad rush to finish the buttercream and get back to the shop as regulars started arriving.

One regular came in to redeem a free coffee from last time. I asked if she wanted to try anything new today. She initially chose a cinnamon roll but then changed her mind when she saw the chiffon cupcakes.

Both are good, but I'd pick the chiffon cupcake too. :lol:

Another news this week, I've got a catering order (paid already) - a small buffet for 10-15 persons for this Saturday - the dishes have to be vegan and Taiwanese style. I didn't expect my first catering order will be so challenging, haha. Well, but it's not an issue for me, many Taiwanese vegetarians follow even stricter rules - No Five Pungent Vegetables Vegetarian - they need to avoid the five pungent vegetables, which are onions, garlic, chives, leeks, and scallions. Thankfully, they are not such type of vegetarian, otherwise I might not take the deal.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
are your eggs generally safe there? they can be tricky at times here. if you were using your own eggs from your place it may be an issue if they come back and say salmonella...

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
are your eggs generally safe there? they can be tricky at times here. if you were using your own eggs from your place it may be an issue if they come back and say salmonella...
Yes, I only use store-bought eggs for making sweets for the cafe. I don't want any unnecessary troubles.

Besides, our own eggs are almost not enough for our daily use, hahaha, yes, we three are like snakes and can eat really a lot of eggs.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Harvest day, I picked about 10 iceberg lettuces as they are growing in a raised bed facing west - soon, it will be too hot for them. I transplanted some dwarf sweet corns as succession.
22471.jpg

One of the many experiments - when wild strawberry plants grow in a favorable condition, their fruits will be much, much bigger. Besides, I grow them with normal strawberry - it might be a result of cross-pollination. Maybe later I will have a hybridized variety? :D
22491.jpg

Snap peas at the left and sweet peas at the right
22484.jpg

Snap peas are extremely expensive here but not fresh. It's luxurious to pick and fry them immediately.
22475.jpg

Such a lovely green - not available in any store
22470.jpg

I also cut back the fava beans - we eat the tips, and hens enjoy the rest. I don't need beans, but just keep the plants alive for their nitrogen fixing function.
22472.jpg

It seems the first heat wave will arrive next week, finally. Pumpkins, zucchinis, and peppers are all waiting the warmth they need badly.
22473.jpg

The first yellow lupine, it's a dwarf variety.
22492.jpg

Gorgeous foxgloves
22488.jpg

22487.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
2024.06.22 Vegan Birthday Party - my first catering order

Everything from scratch, including the menu design - Then I realized that I was trained very well from my over 20 years of working - deal coordinating and negotiating, scheduling, planning, and presenting - I did care about details.

I thought it would be challenging for making a vegan buffet, no dairy product, no egg. However, it's easier than I imagined.

22504.jpg

22508.jpg

22509.jpg

22507.jpg

22506.jpg

22511.jpg

22505.jpg

22443.jpg

I will say, the food I prepared look lovely.
22502.jpg

I even printed the name of the dishes :D
22501.jpg

It's an interesting experience, and I love it.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Harvest day, I picked about 10 iceberg lettuces as they are growing in a raised bed facing west - soon, it will be too hot for them. I transplanted some dwarf sweet corns as succession.
View attachment 66731
One of the many experiments - when wild strawberry plants grow in a favorable condition, their fruits will be much, much bigger. Besides, I grow them with normal strawberry - it might be a result of cross-pollination. Maybe later I will have a hybridized variety? :D
View attachment 66732
Snap peas at the left and sweet peas at the right
View attachment 66733
Snap peas are extremely expensive here but not fresh. It's luxurious to pick and fry them immediately.
View attachment 66734
Such a lovely green - not available in any store
View attachment 66735
I also cut back the fava beans - we eat the tips, and hens enjoy the rest. I don't need beans, but just keep the plants alive for their nitrogen fixing function.
View attachment 66737
It seems the first heat wave will arrive next week, finally. Pumpkins, zucchinis, and peppers are all waiting the warmth they need badly.
View attachment 66738
The first yellow lupine, it's a dwarf variety.
View attachment 66736
Gorgeous foxgloves
View attachment 66739
View attachment 66740
Your gardens and your baked creations always amaze me! You are very talented!

Latest posts