Phaedra's Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kind of dream comes true! A small jar of wild strawberry jam!
23772.jpg

Remember that I divided a huge clump of wild strawberry plant into something like 15 plants? I transplanted them in one small raised bed (80*60cm) that was filled with homemade compost before the weather warmed up this spring. And, look at them! They are bearing a lot of fruits, and some of them are XXXXL size wild strawberries. 🤭
23778.jpg

I already harvested some earlier and make the jam with another variety of strawberry. This morning, I just picked a lot again and made a pure wild strawberry jam. And then, I cut back most of the leaves (too dense, and the ventilation will be a problem soon) and gave them feed for a rest.

23771.jpg

ProCut Red
23773.jpg

My 'office' yesterday morning~
23776.jpg

23743.jpg

23774.jpg

Wow, the wheat (from the bio-diversity seed package) look awesome!
23777.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Kind of dream comes true! A small jar of wild strawberry jam!
View attachment 67418
Remember that I divided a huge clump of wild strawberry plant into something like 15 plants? I transplanted them in one small raised bed (80*60cm) that was filled with homemade compost before the weather warmed up this spring. And, look at them! They are bearing a lot of fruits, and some of them are XXXXL size wild strawberries. 🤭
View attachment 67419

I already harvested some earlier and make the jam with another variety of strawberry. This morning, I just picked a lot again and made a pure wild strawberry jam. And then, I cut back most of the leaves (too dense, and the ventilation will be a problem soon) and gave them feed for a rest.

View attachment 67420

ProCut Red
View attachment 67421
My 'office' yesterday morning~
View attachment 67422

View attachment 67423

View attachment 67424
Wow, the wheat (from the bio-diversity seed package) look awesome!
View attachment 67425
That wild strawberry jam looks amazing! Last summer I made wild salal jam. It tastes just like blackberry jam without the seeds! It was fabulous! I plan to make it again later this month when the berries are ready.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't make a post for such a long time?

Things are going fine, I just didn't have time to take a lot of photo every day in the garden. But the beauty is, while you were busy, plants just kept growing. We still have the critter issues, so a lot of potatoes are gone. Well, no time for doing anything about it. Maybe just wait, until the eco-system finds its own balance.

The rest is still very much abundant - I don't harvest a lot once, instead, just pick what we want to eat in a few days. We had a comparatively dry and hot weather for two weeks, however, the temperature will drop a lot from now on, and the rain is coming back....
24547_0.jpg

It seems old-story, I give up to keep everything tidy after mid-July. Why bother? It's also fun to find food in different kinds of 'jungle' :lol: The only concern is, whatever you trim and cut back can quickly report to the compost heaps and turn into something more helpful later.

Not even mention that now my cafe keeps me busy, like a full time (and need some overtime) job.
24548_0.jpg

This year's success includes peppers, okras, chilis, and zucchinis. Two varieties of sweet corn also look pretty promising.
24550_0.jpg

24551.jpg

I didn't have time to do summer sowing, so there won't be much to expect this autumn or winter. However, some perennials are doing very nice this year, I can see how well they established earlier.

Another lesson I've learned from my cafe journey - it's pretty like gardening. Some customers are like perennials, some are annuals, some are in-between. It's never a yes or no choice - diversification is good for a healthy and happy garden. It's totally the same for running a neighborhood cafe.

24512_0.jpg

I plan to take a few more days off in October and do the cleaning works, how about you?

Last edited:

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't make a post for such a long time?

Things are going fine, I just didn't have time to take a lot of photo every day in the garden. But the beauty is, while you were busy, plants just kept growing. We still have the critter issues, so a lot of potatoes are gone. Well, no time for doing anything about it. Maybe just wait, until the eco-system finds its own balance.

The rest is still very much abundant - I don't harvest a lot once, instead, just pick what we want to eat in a few days. We had a comparatively dry and hot weather for two weeks, however, the temperature will drop a lot from now on, and the rain is coming back....
View attachment 68451

It seems old-story, I give up to keep everything tidy after mid-July. Why bother? It's also fun to find food in different kinds of 'jungle' :lol: The only concern is, whatever you trim and cut back can quickly report to the compost heaps and turn into something more helpful later.

Not even mention that now my cafe keeps me busy, like a full time (and need some overtime) job.
View attachment 68452

This year's success includes peppers, okras, chilis, and zucchinis. Two varieties of sweet corn also look pretty promising.
View attachment 68453

View attachment 68454

I didn't have time to do summer sowing, so there won't be much to expect this autumn or winter. However, some perennials are doing very nice this year, I can see how well they established earlier.

Another lesson I've learned from my cafe journey - it's pretty like gardening. Some customers are like perennials, some are annuals, some are in-between. It's never a yes or no choice - diversification is good for a healthy and happy garden.

View attachment 68455

I plan to take a few more days off in October and do the cleaning works, how about you?
I love the cheery cherry tomato pic you shared! Congrats on your shop being such a success! I would love to stop in if I lived nearby!

Latest posts