Phaedra's Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's a wise choice to get three days off, and I feel much better with more sufficient rest.

After moving in this property for 6 years, we finally hired a company to cut our hedge. It just simply went wild, and DH has no way to properly cut a hedge which is already close to 6 meters. šŸ¤­

Right side is before, and left side is after XD
25220_0.jpg

The hedge is more or less done, and we are so surprised that how much brighter it is now. Today will be the second day of their work, and they will also cut two dead trees in another side of the garden.

While they were working on the hedge, I also finished some cutting back work and sent 6 bags of debris to the compost. After a pretty wet year, perennials established pretty well.

Asters are now in a monster shape, I have to take some as cut flowers for releasing more space. Other shorter plants have a hard time to compete with them.
25219_0.jpg

But they are so pretty and low maintenance. I did cut them half in the summer, which resulted in a much more robust and bushier form. They are still something close to 80cm height, but need no additional support. The number of flowers is also more impressive than previous years. I should have done the same to MUMs - I didn't, and now most of the MUMs are a bit too leggy.

25221_0.jpg

25222_0.jpg

Another interesting experiment this year - I sprinkled seeds that I don't want to grow seriously any longer in front of one chicken coop. Some are growing very well, including beetroots, lettuce, and chicory (I heard it's a bit bitter, DH and DD won't try them, so...). I will take some more photos today and update again. Overall, it's a very interesting experiment, and I will 100% do that again and again in the future.
25239_0.jpg

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some recent food I made for the cafe:
Pumpkin cheese cake
25159_1.jpg

Without cookie crust, difficult to handle, but people who don't like cookie crust love them.
25160_1.jpg

Strawberry cheese cake, with cookie crust
25183_0.jpg

I am surprised that fresh strawberries are again available at the end of Oct! They are from local, soft, and as juicy as the summer varieties - not those green-house type of giant and not so delicious ones.
25228_0.jpg

Rose Panna Cotta, served with rose whipped cream, fig cooked in honey whisky, and fresh melon
25246_0.jpg

Dark Chocolate Panna Cotta, served with cinnamon and caramel cream, fresh persimmon, roasted almond, and a pinch of Maldon sea salt flake
25242_0.jpg

Chocolate Almond Tart
25201_0.jpg

Coffeehouse Ramen - a successful item that attracts more people (even from the neighboring towns) to the cafe. I added this and a few more made-to-order items like Waffles, Croiffles, and Pancakes as autumn/winter special offer.
25147_0.jpg

Croiffles - baking Croissant dough with a Waffle iron, very delicious and highly recommend!
25194(1).jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it brings me smiles seeing you continuing to do so well, plus finding your balance and what you need.

now i also wish i could pop in for breakfast or brunch. i'd take one of those pumpkin cheesecake pieces for sure. heavy crusts don't appeal to us. for once we have no cookies or desserts in the fridge. still chocolate squares and nuts around - so yes, we're still a bit nuts. :)

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pumpkin cheese cake
View attachment 69936
Without cookie crust, difficult to handle, but people who don't like cookie crust love them.
View attachment 69937

View attachment 69939
I am surprised that fresh strawberries are again available at the end of Oct! They are from local, soft, and as juicy as the summer varieties - not those green-house type of giant and not so delicious ones.
View attachment 69938

Rose Panna Cotta, served with rose whipped cream, fig cooked in honey whisky, and fresh melon
View attachment 69940

Dark Chocolate Panna Cotta, served with cinnamon and caramel cream, fresh persimmon, roasted almond, and a pinch of Maldon sea salt flake
View attachment 69941

Chocolate Almond Tart
View attachment 69942

Coffeehouse Ramen - a successful item that attracts more people (even from the neighboring towns) to the cafe. I added this and a few more made-to-order items like Waffles, Croiffles, and Pancakes as autumn/winter special offer.
View attachment 69943

Croiffles - baking Croissant dough with a Waffle iron, very delicious and highly recommend!
View attachment 69944
So good to see a post from you, Phaedra. I've missed your photos of delectable goodies, flowers, and critters, but very glad that your cafe is keeping you busy, and not a bit surprised by its success. That strawberry cheesecake looks yummy and beautiful at the same time. You are an artist with food!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pumpkin cheese cake
View attachment 69936
View attachment 69937

View attachment 69939
View attachment 69938

View attachment 69940

View attachment 69941

Chocolate Almond Tart
View attachment 69942

View attachment 69943

View attachment 69944
I love how beautifully you display all of your dishes! šŸ˜ I think I'll have the croiffles for breakfast with my coffee this morning!

Latest posts