This Bug, That Bug

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ack!

No, I have low tolerance for anything abusing plant garden partners.

We have had such a long relationship with lilies. We have given so many things (and people) the name. I was just reading about the etymology of the word. It is very old and may be related to the word "flower."

Grasshoppers, on the other hand ... I understand that they have decimated some gardens in Colorado this year.

Steve
Would you like me to send over my grasshopper and ant's exterminator
1000002403.jpg

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yes we have barn swallows to and swifts that are killer catchers during the day. At dusk the bats come out the are interesting to watch their acro-bat-ics. The hummingbirds also hare always near by …lots of feeders out for them. We do have a lot of moths at night.

Pink spotted hawk moth. They are awsome.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today for the first time in all my years of gardening , while coming across all types of insects thruout the years, I saw something I’ve never seen before let alone thought about it… bumblebees mating. They were on a flag stone path my dogs almost stepped on them. It turn out that the male bumbles hangs out near a nest this time of year , drawn in by a queen - attracting scant pheromone, since that’s the male bumblebee only mission in life . The pheromone is used to mark promant rocks , objects, trees. Different species have preferred heights snd different scents, sometime the same route is used for the same species every year.

I snapped a pic and for some reason I found the pic funny. I guess it’s something you gotta see for yourself. Any hoo… How many gardeners or anyone actually come across bumblebees’s mating on their walkway. I always thought the nest/boudoir was a safter place than risk getting stepped on. They are everywhere every year around here, now I know why. Even though I’ve never found a ground nest. They seem to survive all the winter's and mowing etc. and the first bees out in spring.

He looks like a private moment is interrupted,
IMG_2965.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My experience with bumblebee nests is that not being seen is probably very much intended.

If you see a bumblebee somewhere that there are no flowers, watch them for a moment. They will disappear that quickly if they are headed home. Lawngrass is the only place that I have noticed them "going to ground." Landmarks? Perhaps it is scent. Nothing to me indicates that anything is going on down there.

Today, I saw just about the biggest Harvetman (Daddy Longlegs) that I have ever seen. Interesting how bees seem to emerge full grown. Maybe it's true with all flying bugs. Spiders of the same species are out and about in all sizes.

Steve

Latest posts