What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Send it SOUTH...to me...

i would have if i could have. it will take a few days for things to dry out well enough that we can mow and i can get back to weeding. i'm rapidly losing my window of purslane not dropping seeds so tomorrow i'm going to get muddy in the morning for several hours at least. if it remains cool and breezy enough maybe i can get most of what needs to be done finished. the horseshoe garden still needs a lot of attention too, but it is a much simpler garden to do and smaller so i can finish it up in a few more hours, but it's a big weedy mess so i can't just scrape it and be done with it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dunno, sometimes I leave the purslane if it chokes out other weeds.

oh yes, it does that and a single plant can cover a square foot or more of space, but i really don't want all those billions of tiny black seeds to fall. i think i have about another week or two before it gets really bad and i hope to be done with most of the purslane weeding by then in all the gardens, but it is likely to take me three or four more days to finish the two gardens i'm working in now and then i have to get back to the other gardens i didn't quite finish.

I know what you mean about keeping the seeds out of the soil bc they are riny and disappear until the next season.

if i miss the window the next best thing is to dig a deep hole in the garden and skim the surface layer of soil into that hole and bury all those seeds so they won't easily resurface. that's a part of my fall garden cleanup routine for gardens that have gotten out of control plus it is also a bit of a dig of shame for not having gotten it done when it should have been done. the weed seeds go in the bottoms of whatever holes i do have to dig - they can stay down there for eons and hang out with the worms and tell stories...

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Weeded a TON of burdock stuck to bindweed!!! :rant:rant:rant
Two weeds from hell.

Myself, I tackled the blackberry brambles that keep trying to expand their real estate from the hill in back down into the mowed areas. I wore gloves, but my arms look like I was attacked by a horde of angry feral cats. I won the battle, but the war will continue.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@SPedigrees ,

At the grocery store this weekend, I saw a lady wearing a long-sleeved chambray shirt. I tried to see if the buttons were on my side . But, I think it was a man's shirt. If so, it was exactly like the ones I wore, with my leather gloves, every workday, Winter or Summer, for my job at the Rose Greenhouse.

Honestly, blackberry brambles require more — gauntlets.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Two weeds from hell.

Myself, I tackled the blackberry brambles that keep trying to expand their real estate from the hill in back down into the mowed areas. I wore gloves, but my arms look like I was attacked by a horde of angry feral cats. I won the battle, but the war will continue.
I asked for these for Christmas, 2023:
They are made from recycled plastic water bottles and they Do protect my arms.
~$20 + S&H
Lots of patterns.
Youngest DD asked for a pair for Christmas and I just ordered them. ;)
They plant a tree with every order.
I also got a 2nd pair with a small discount, so I order those for Eldest DD. Dunno what pattern, it will be a surprise.
Shipping by end of week.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS' Wild blackberry brambles are a nightmare . If I don't keep after them they March right across the pastures. .
I get the big tractor out and mow mow mow. Keeps them from becoming overgrown. Other area I have no choice but to spray early in the season. The birds in this case spread seeds faster than I can keep up.

Every season those blackberries pop up in the crown of many garden plants, constantly cutting them out.
Any ideas how to eliminate them without killing the garden plants would be grateful?

When tackling blackberries I use my 3’ battery op hedger , starting with outer edge and work my way in , then continue chopping the downed runners small enough to mow with my mulcher mows them to smithereens. Some canes are 2” thick. Then I spray cut ends. No sore arms & legs. You would think someone would make chainmail for this reason. I never come out completely unscathed. Wounds here and there seem to be painful at times.

Last edited: