Worried About Dad

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We must remain active as long as there is strength. Physically, intellectually. It's better than just sitting on the couch, and then meet her husband (or wife) in the kitchen, look at each other and simultaneously to ask: "Who are you ?!"

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are plenty of evidences of and reasons for leg weakness to be found in my back.

What I have been wondering about is if physical therapy would help with balance. I don't know but imagine so ... or, I imagine that there are physical therapists who are convinced that they can help.

It may be time to introduce some more "helpful" people into my life. I'm not so bull-headed as to imagine that all those services that make modern life possible are devoid of people behind them. Let's just start with the highway district people who keep me on the road. The water department people who provide me with a glass of water. The farmers and transportation people who bring me the coffee I can put in that water to make my drive a little more pleasant.

Noting these helpful people is not to ignore the legions of others, including those I know, so far, nothing much about.

:) Steve

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Of course, a doctor and a teacher - is the most common profession on this planet. Even among those who are not a doctor or a teacher. But nonetheless.
Daily walking barefoot strengthens the legs and the entire body. The best option - it is walking on the ground, sandy beach, grass, wood floors and other natural surfaces. If this is not always available, you still go in home every day at least 3 times a day.
Chinese doctors say that if you regularly massage the singular point in the arch of the foot (Yong-Chuan), the blood flow will improve significantly.
Point Yung-chuan is just behind the toes in the middle of the foot feet. You can simply press the point 20 times without a break (first on one foot, then on the other) without much force. Make a massage every morning and evening. There are also "wet method": the legs put your feet in a basin of water (temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit), when they turn red, start with your thumbs at the same time to press the point- Yong-Chuan 80 times without a break. Then rub the foot for 3-5 minutes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to be able to reach ... okay ... oh, ouch! Oooh.

Not much feeling in the left foot ... I hadn't thought of foot massage for a problem originating in the back. Do you think methyl salicylate cream helps, @Larisa ? I know that it helps with joint pain but the feeling of heat is discomforting, especially midsummer. My feet always feel cold these days, however.

Better, I think ... the attention is part of it.

Steve :)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Talked to dad last night he manged to use up all his paint without falling. My dad has this strange quirk if he opens a can of paint he has to use the whole can. He will not store unused paint or throw it out. He just keeps painting things till paint is gone. My mother and him have had big fights because he painted something with no thought to color of paint.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, have you ever tried acupuncture? I don't know anything about it but seems to me that if it's been around for hundreds of years there may be something to it. I mentioned it to a nurse practitioner and she said everything is connected so you never know. Just a thought. My husband and I recently had 2 sessions for our allergies. It seems to have worked on his and some of his pain has also diminished.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am so sorry--prayers sent. My mother is in a rehab facility (89yo) because she has to live alone and still thinks she can handle things. She took a fall backwards two weeks ago in the downstairs family room (cement floor underneath the tile) and was in the ER, then the hospital, then a rehab facility (discovered sleeping ALL of the time), BACK to the ER, then a hospital room, NOW getting better in another rehab facility. The blessing is that her teacher retirement health insurance pays well. My middle DD worked for a rehab facility and tells me that the first 90 days will be paid for, then they'll send her home. If she has NO relapse in 30 days, but has one on the 31st day, she can go back and the next 90 days will be paid for.
I know that you cannot reason with your father. I will be 59yo in December and I have stopped taking stupid, unneccessary chances. I PAY to have my hay put up in the loft--I did it myself up to last year--I PAY to have my gutters cleaned out, and the big job filling in in front of my horse's shelter, where there is currently a LAKE!--will be done by my new help, a neighbor, a runner (30yo) and his good friend (22yo), strong and looking for extra cash jobs.
I might paint my own house only as far as I could reach from the ground!! I had to remove something from my garage gutter a few years back, and I drove my truck to the side of it, because I KNEW that I could reach it standing on the truck bed.
My "mentor", George Morris, who is still jumping horses at almost 80yo, wrote a few years ago to STOP carrying ANYTHING that you can put in a wheelbarrow, or transport in a truck or tow wagon. I do lift animal feed, but I make sure that I drive my truck back to the barn to empty it, instead of putting 50 pounds on my shoulders to carry there. I store cat food and dog food in metal cans in my basement. I put the feed in a wheelbarrow, pick it up and let it flip flop down the basement stairs INSTEAD of carrying it there.
DH has had recurring heart issues, and I CANNOT AFFORD to get hurt, even with two DD's who live 10 miles from us.
Btw, it is incredible that my mother survived. She had passed out on a Sunday night, broke the dishes she was carrying---she couldn't make two trips, or leave them until the morning, of course--then dragged herself to the phone to call the next door neighbors. Although I was unaware of any of this on that Sunday night, and I AM grateful to the neighbors, I cannot understand why they put her on the couch and stayed with her all night, then waited until 7AM on Monday morning to drive her to the ER. These are newer neighbors, maybe for the last 15 years and younger than me. She has another neighbor across the street who has lived there for the same number of years, about 50 years, than my family has since the houses were built about the same time (both single owner homes.) My mother refers to the younger neighbors as "a son and daughter." This is her normal behavior.
There is something fishy about this, but I haven't been able to leave home to check on her bank account, which I have access to. Apparently, she asked them to bring her checkbook to pay bills. I NEED to find out soon if "Steve" wrote himself a personal check from her account. Could be wrong--what do YOU'ALL think? Maybe you could pass my story along to your dad.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have as friend who was in a very serious motorcycle accident that really left him in bad shape. He cannot walk a step without a cane. We would all be more comfortable if he would use a walker but he's a tough guy.

He swears by acupuncture.

I've enjoyed physical therapy. There was only a few months at a time but ... I enjoyed it! Something has to be said for that.

Steve
Edit: not that Steve

Latest posts