Your Weather 2023

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This was the view south from my deck about mid-day. The evergreens aren't 200 yards away. "Visibility" at the nearest airport has been less than 1 mile for several days now.

zthumbnail.jpg
The sunflower in the picture is rather novel
;)
. It's in the neighbor's backyard, about 30' in front of that roof. That is the roof of my greenhouse (sunshed) and the peak must be over 10' above the ground. The Sunflower is growing in what was my compost pile about 5 years ago when I gardened on both sides of the back fence -- in the previous neighbor's garden. That continued until he passed away and I migrated north. It could be thought of as something of a tribute to Ken.

:)
Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zrain.png
Actually, she said no such thing. You just Were Not Listening!

It rains. For some reason, I was up at 2, no rain. Fortunately, I fell asleep about 4 & slept another hour. Up just before "sunrise" but it was dark with clouds outside but still, no rain.

The rain started about 7AM - light but it has continued for over an hour. If it continues and we gain a quarter of an inch this time - it will be the first time since June 8th, when we had .28".

Steve :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
SULTRY...feels like I just took a shower when I went outside to do garden work.
High on Saturday, 82
High on Sunday, 78
Go figure...

sometimes you may think it is nature toying with you but more likely it is just your brain toying with itself. :)

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had some rain over night, which is most excellent. You can almost hear the garden breathing a sigh of relief. I still need to water everything deeply so I will do that first thing, since the plants are already wet (and the soil needs to dry out before I can do any planting or weeding today). 🌦️

P.S. Just stepped out my door, and was greeted by Slugzilla. They sure seem to appear in great numbers at the first sign of moisture.

Attachments

• IMG_20230823_075749214_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20230823_075749214_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked everything & watered all 3 gardens yesterday... and again today, for pots & some of the cooler-weather vegetables that were showing stress. Wow! Record high temp today, so didn't stay out long.

Given all the water they want, hot-weather veggies really grow fast! The gourds and yardlong beans are growing so fast you can almost see the vine tips reach out. The water spinach & chard love this weather too. The beans are not especially fond of it though; I've given them extra water.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today it was 87* which is very hot for us here in the bay area. Our summers usually hover around 67*.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be 77* so that's a big difference.

Picked up a used AC on Marketplace for the front rooms. It makes a difference. We already had a window AC in our bedroom. Now just need to try to not have them on at the same time or too often so that our electric bill doesn't go way up.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we got well watered yesterday again (the squall line that went through us had some heavy hail in there but we did not get much of it) so it will be a muddy mess for weeding. i can do some weeding from the crushed rinsed limestone pathways but overall i won't be able to reach far enough in to get whole gardens weeded.

we now have some overnight lows in the next week's forecast down into the low 40sF and daytime highs of 67F.