Your Weather, 2024

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't want to mow in the rain today. clouds/storms sort of heading this way which would make it potentially rainy by the time that Mom gets done with her section... my preference is to mow tomorrow when no chances of rain are in the forecast. Mom says i can do what i want. yeah, right... :)

i think a metal umbrella strapped to the handle bars of the lawn mower would make a brilliant idea... a really brilliant idea if lightning visits...

on the upside it would be cooler in the rain, but the downside is that it's not good for the lawnmower and it is also a bleeping mess...

[later edit]

of course we mowed... it did not rain. :)

Last edited:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Flooding struck here yesterday, brought on by the remnants of Hurricane Beryl, and inundated towns to my north already devastated by last summer's flooding. This weather event occurred on the exact anniversary of last year's historic flood. So terrible to see farms again losing their crops. One place dug out their potatoes, rescuing 2/3rds of the crop, but more farmers are looking at their crops underwater and ruined. The rich soil in river valleys is perfect for growing, but also prone to catastrophic floods, especially in recent times.

Some home owners had managed to remove infrastructure (furnaces, hot water heaters, and the like) from their basements, so they fared a bit better this time around. (I've always said that a cellar should not be used to house anything that can be damaged by water, since it is below the water table, and yet my own house has all these vital systems below ground.)

Thankfully I was spared, with only a few heavy downpours and thunder storms, that amounted to nothing other than a needed deep watering for my outdoor plants.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we are getting rained on and i'm glad even if i did water all the gardens yesterday as there are many flowers, shrubs and trees that can use a good drink out there and they didn't all get watered.

having finished planting the last garden yesterday this will also make sure those bean seeds are well hydrated and plumping up for their sprouting.

i have a book to read (at last!) and inside chores to keep me busy for the day...

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Still a very wet summer, and without heatwaves from the south, the average temperature is around 20C most of the time.

It just rains so much, that our rain barrels are always full. But the perennials are very happy, especially those growing in the new flower beds or border areas. We have covered those beds/areas with homemade compost in spring, so now they have everything they need to thrive.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it has rained four or five times since yesterday, three short squalls today, enough to make things wet and even a few small puddles and then gone, the driveway dries off, the puddles soak in and then i reopen the garage and let it air out again. with the garlic curing it smells like bologna... :) yum... (now i want some of that too...)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mornings outdoors here feel like indoors on better days, @heirloomgal .

4:30 and it is 69⁰f (21⁰C) outdoors. It was 78f (26C) in the house by the time I gotta round to checking it – focus entirely on my stumbling route to open windows and turn on fans for my first mobile adventure. It takes some inner air turbulence to cool walls and furniture even after I can gain a breezy interior.

Record 106°f (41⁰C) yesterday – we are told. So far, not a drop of July rain in 2024. Air quality remains at halfway point between good & unhealthy. I'm feeling lucky for "moderate." Will run sprinklers this AM starting SOON!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zweather.jpg

Latest posts