A Sub for Early Girl

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Plus there's

Beliy Naliv

Buckbee's New 50 Day

Marshall's right that's how you'd do it. Only problem would be growing enough seeds to get enough F2 plants to work with to select from to pollinate and select for pairings to make the F3 generation.

http://store.tomatofest.com/Early_Annie_p/tf-0155.htm Early Annie is exactly that variety you mentioned about determinates that produce once and are done. I like my indeterminates too. I like to pick and pick and pick and grow extra plants so I have enough for canning. With a determinate like that I'd be afraid if your busy when they come in or weather hits, or an infestation, or something else heck even a couple of tomato worms could put a real hurting on your plants and your done.

Id rather have a really meaty indeterminate anyway so I can make salsa one day, various sauces another, and just crushed or stewed and canned another. That's how we do it. Granted we make REALLY big batches each time of each different thing but it helps to only have to prep certain ingredients for that day vs a lot of different things which would have to be added at different times and cooking temps. No thank you.

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dont grow many really early varieites, but I have grown a Russian variety called Azoychka..It is a heirlloom with fruits that are yellow/orange in color, and the fruit has a wonderful, sweet, citrusy taste .Meaty.. Good acid balance of flavor. Around 3 inches, 8 to 16 oz for me. It was pretty productive. Was one of my earliest at around 66 days.

I know someone who is growing Mrs Maxwell's Big Italian. It is an early season heirloom about 69 days... Fruit is 3-4 inch, dark pink beefsteak, around #1 to #2 . Supposed to have really great flavor. She ordered her seed's from Tomatofest..If they do well for her, she will save seed and give me some for next season..

Others I know that have grown some earlies and gave great reviews..Pink Honey, (aka Rozovyi Myod, a russian variety), 1-3 # fruits with a sweet flavor, It is on my grow list for this year.

Korol Sibiri,(King Of Siberia) early, 7 ounces, yellow heart shape type, few seeds excellent taste

Grushovka, Break O Day, Moskovich, Anna Russian, Matina

Illini Star: Not a heirloom, but new open pollinated variety. Indet., Reg. leaf, Large yields of 6-8 oz. red tomato with excellent sweet flavor..

HTH

Ginny

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps this doesn't need to be a "sticky"

but

I intend to bring up this thread again and hope others will continue to contribute their experiences.

Steve

I just realized that Jared's "Beliy Naliv" is a tomato variety :D. Semi-determinate . . . I wonder how they determine that . . ?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never quite understand what a sticky topic is :p

Is there some part of it even i can understand that may be important?

(seeing how my brain works yet?) Lol!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, if it is the most commonly-grown tomato variety in the US.

In every region! That's what the nursery industry tells us.

So, we gotta take her down . . . Okay, we don't but there are lots of people who value those qualities. Burpee and others have made a ton of money off of her! There are non-hybrid alternatives. I'm just real proud to be looking for 'em and have little doubt that a lot of other gardening folks are too ;).

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i know Early Girl is very popular over here at most greenhouses, but i seem to skip over getting a few if i buy started plants. i've been getting more of the heirlooms when i see them or looking for the local guy's plants that he sells at my local feed store that are organic.

though i like determinate plants i was looking over the Amishland seed site and noticed they had a few heirloom tomatoes that grow as if they were determinate but produce as if they were indeterminate! i have those on my list for next year. the one i was mostly interested in was the Amish Mayberry, but that is more like a large red/pink cherry than the medium sized EG. they also had the Mikado Pink/Turner's Hybrid that is more a medium size.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
determinate tomato plants usually grow smaller and don't usually need staking up for support. they also have a short production life-once they produce their tomatoes they are done for the season. i've found these can grow nicely in containers or compact spaces.

indeterminate plants tend to grow tall and continuous over the growing season, sometimes needing to be pinched back to keep them in check, need to be staked for support, and continue to produce as long as conditions remain favorable.

i'm sure i will be corrected on this or someone will have more to add.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you.

Gonna go look up my choices for this year.....

Yup - all 4 are indeterminate. If all goes well... I'm gonna have a LOT of 'maters. :D

Latest posts