One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks @Dahlia, year after year consistent production with out major problems.

It’s that time of year where we’ll dip Sockeye’s. Today was the opener and a lot of people showed up. That’s usually not an issue if there’s fish in the stream. Today wasn't one of those days. Last week we 3 days in a row with 3,000 3,500 and 3,900 fish coming into the river. Today i only caught a pair. If i i keep after it, within the coming week i’ll get what i want; a total of 35 fish!

Waiting for “the time” at roughly 5:30 this morning. People starting to show up; it’s 3/8th of a mile from the bridge to the mouth of this stream and when i left folks were lining both sides most of the way back to the bridge!
These 3 Alaskan women drug that sled with gear and cooler all that way.
As i left the parking lot which was full and pull onto the road i notice the cars lining both sides of the road ditch for quite a ways.

It’s a good time, mostly.

Attachments

• IMG_3060.jpeg
    IMG_3060.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3059.jpeg
    IMG_3059.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3062.jpeg
    IMG_3062.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 40

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks @Dahlia, year after year consistent production with out major problems.

It’s that time of year where we’ll dip Sockeye’s. Today was the opener and a lot of people showed up. That’s usually not an issue if there’s fish in the stream. Today wasn't one of those days. Last week we 3 days in a row with 3,000 3,500 and 3,900 fish coming into the river. Today i only caught a pair. If i i keep after it, within the coming week i’ll get what i want; a total of 35 fish!

Waiting for “the time” at roughly 5:30 this morning. People starting to show up; it’s 3/8th of a mile from the bridge to the mouth of this stream and when i left folks were lining both sides most of the way back to the bridge!
These 3 Alaskan women drug that sled with gear and cooler all that way.
As i left the parking lot which was full and pull onto the road i notice the cars lining both sides of the road ditch for quite a ways.

It’s a good time, mostly.
I've always had a bit of a fascination with Alaska, a place sort of like where I live, but on steroids - the ULTRA wilderness. Was a big Jewel fan in my youth. I used to read endless travel books about it, and dreamed of going there someday. Seeing your photos reminds me of that time in my life, how dreamy the place really is. Given that I don't like travelling so likely will never go, it's nice to be able to enjoy your life in action photos of the astounding beauty there.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, here’s another dose of Alaskana for you. People have been netting these Salmon for hundreds of years and the State monitors the escapement so that the runs thrive. We get the rest; if you can catch them.
What a difference a day makes, today was the quietest day people wise ive seen in a long time. Probably due to how few fish were caught yesterday?
Any way, i brought home 17 today and they sure look like a mess in the cooler bag but they clean up real well once i get home (10min away) and clean them.
3rd picture is a nice one! And those are his fillets in the next picture. These fish are 2 meal fish for us and im allowed 35 per year. We’ve got it worked out perfectly to have Salmon on Mondays every week of the year; if the Lord has my name on enough of them.
After the filleting they are covered and chilled while i clean up the huge mess and re-assemble everything for tomorrow.
Then they go thru the vacuum sealer and what you see in the laundry basket is roughly half of the fish we hope to put up. This season is open till July 31st but ive never had to chase them more than 3-4 days to get what we want.

And here’s the Garden tie in. Nothing goes to waste, all the carcass’s go in the Hydroslate drum which gives up all the gooey goodness i want each year. The eggs are bagged with a good dollop of Molassas and a teaspoon of 20% Borax which cures them. Then they too are sealed in bags as bait for the next Salmon that arrive; the Silvers!

With all the “garage sale” delt with except the dirty cloths hanging on the fence, 5hrs after getting home; im done for the day. 😊

I included a shot of the nets i use which are 40 inch and 50 inch diameter. The actual net is gill net and when the fish swim in and are gilled we hoist them in the boat, bonk em, bleed em and toss them in the cooler bag. It’s both exhilarating and tiring.

Attachments

• IMG_3079.jpeg
    IMG_3079.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3078.jpeg
    IMG_3078.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3077.jpeg
    IMG_3077.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3080.jpeg
    IMG_3080.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3075.jpeg
    IMG_3075.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3073.jpeg
    IMG_3073.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3074.jpeg
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3070.jpeg
    IMG_3070.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Winding down another successful dipping season i took some pictures to help you get a better perspective of how this goes.
After yesterday i only needed 16 and had them in under an hour! It was a banner day. In these first 4 pictures im walking downstream lining the canoe and keeping those nets out of the numerous overhanging branches.
Then i get to flat water and can paddle the last 1/3 mile. At the mouth im greeted by a raft of Gulls and a nice sunrise.
My buddy Conner showed up and got 11 to add to his Mom & Dad & Sisters haul. Due to the family size they are allowed 85 of these bad boys! They took home 41 today and we were all back home within 3 hours. Those in the net bag are Connors.

Attachments

• IMG_3093.jpeg
    IMG_3093.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3092.jpeg
    IMG_3092.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3090.jpeg
    IMG_3090.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3089.jpeg
    IMG_3089.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3086.jpeg
    IMG_3086.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3085.jpeg
    IMG_3085.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3095.jpeg
    IMG_3095.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3100.jpeg
    IMG_3100.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3102.jpeg
    IMG_3102.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 37

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As we came in i took some shots of the rest of the action. Once the initial flurry com’s down we know a lot of the people and those we don't know personally we recognize from year to year. Makes for pleasant conversation.
First 2 pictures are friends one of which lashed 3 canoes together which might get a little crowded when a strong run occurs.
Next 2 pictures are of folks lining the banks and these people use nets with up to 20 ft. Handles. Lot of work! Next 2 are Connor and family with they’re haul of 41 fish. Glad i only had to clean 16 today!
My barrel isn’t running over but i’m certainly done adding anything to it for the year!
The last picture is both my knuckles which are beat bloody from trying to hold wet, slimy, highly excited Fish and bonk them into submission. Some days it’s a wee bit like a gladiator sport.
Thanks you Lord we always enjoy the Salmon!!

Attachments

• IMG_3113.jpeg
    IMG_3113.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3112.jpeg
    IMG_3112.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3110.jpeg
    IMG_3110.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3106.jpeg
    IMG_3106.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3107.jpeg
    IMG_3107.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3098.jpeg
    IMG_3098.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3100.jpeg
    IMG_3100.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3114.jpeg
    IMG_3114.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 32

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Winding down another successful dipping season i took some pictures to help you get a better perspective of how this goes.
After yesterday i only needed 16 and had them in under an hour! It was a banner day. In these first 4 pictures im walking downstream lining the canoe and keeping those nets out of the numerous overhanging branches.
Then i get to flat water and can paddle the last 1/3 mile. At the mouth im greeted by a raft of Gulls and a nice sunrise.
My buddy Conner showed up and got 11 to add to his Mom & Dad & Sisters haul. Due to the family size they are allowed 85 of these bad boys! They took home 41 today and we were all back home within 3 hours. Those in the net bag are Connors.
Are some of those salmon "silvers"? We were once anchored out next to a fisherman who was catching lots of silvers. He brought one over to our boat and asked if we wanted it! We said hell yes and traded some ice cold beers for it. We promptly cooked it on the grill immediately and it was the best fish I ever had!

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, these are all Sockeye (reds) Silvers will start showing up in our streams within 2 weeks. They are good eating too but around here the preference is Reds, Kings then Silvers. Now that i no longer have the ocean boat, Kings are a thing of the past.☹️

In theory maybe but these nets are large and somewhat un-gainly. Most of the folks use nets 5ft diameter and those fish are gilled when they swim into the nets. When they “run up the river” they are moving at a pretty good clip. It’s not uncommon to have a fish move your net 5 feet! Another consideration is our tide swings! Tomorrows high is over 35ft. Then a minus 4 ft tide, we are right up there either number 2 or 3 IN THE WORLD for tide swings! This all plays a big part in the fish movements.
One person had 4 in the net at once today. 7 at a time was last years record. I’ve never gotten 2 at a time and happy with that. It’s totally crazy when they are running and multiples also multiply crazy. Im pretty adventurous but prefer a mellow approach.

Surprisingly few fish are caught in the shallows.

After a nice long, hot bath i’ll massage my poor hands with Lavender and Peppermint oil and fix dinner. And; it’s Monday so it’ll be Salmon!😃

Last edited:

Latest posts