Show off your beautiful Dahlia collections .

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind comment.
Well you are spot on with perennials and I agree dahlias are more of an annual. 👍
I have been to Swan Island. How can your tell..😄 Have you?

There are many growers in your neck of the woods too. And of course I keep the names of all my plants. I would imagine you do too with all your lovely fields dahlias too.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tree Dahlia ‘Dahlia imperialis’ .
This dahlia grows up to 12-15’ tall with cane like stems almost like bamboo stems. Very strong stems and spreads quickly. Needs a lot of space and protection from the winds. Prefers bright indirect light early morning full sun.

The history of tree dahlias.
Like the ancestors of common garden dahlias (Mexico's national flower), the tree dahlia (Dahlia imperialis) orginated in the mountains of Mexico annd Guatemala . Botanists accompanying the Spanish conquistadors made collections of New World plant life, discovering tree dahlias in the process.

Showing dahlia buds
IMG_3502.jpeg

Tree dahlia flowers.
IMG_3500.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been to Swan Island. How can your tell..😄 Have you?

There are many growers in your neck of the woods too. And of course I keep the names of all my plants. I would imagine you do too with all your lovely fields dahlias too.
Wow, first of all, I knew nothing about tree dahlias. Since we almost never get through a Winter without sub-zero Fahrenheit temperatures, I wouldn't be able to leave any dahlia species in the ground. I see the hardiness zone rating is 8 or above for tree dahlias.

No, I have not been to Swan Island but imagined that you would be inspired and not have too far to travel for one of their open house days.

And No. I could look back at receipts for purchases, mostly from Swan Island ;), but I am not that oriented to flower gardening. DW remembers dahlia names better but I rather looked at flower growing as  work with something of a career in it, including the farmers' marketing seasons. That ended in 2020 and flowers have now been limited to a few beds of this and that. Mostly unmarked roots were ready for another growing season in 2020 but instead were sold to someone willing to market that season. The beds of flowers in our distant garden went to veggies and, now, that entire garden is part of our gardening history :).

Steve

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Learning about your flower and garden history is the beauty of sites like this . That’s is how I learned of tree dahlias.
So much is shared on these sites it a real learning curve every day. 👍

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fairly certain this one is called Strawberry Ice, a large dinner plate dahlia. The creamy shell pink and yellow tones always draw me in for a closer look.

Attachments

• IMG_20240905_172550005.jpg
    IMG_20240905_172550005.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240905_172524028.jpg
    IMG_20240905_172524028.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Branching Out . That looks like an informal decorative style dahlia. Very interesting with beautiful soft pink color with yellow undertones. Very much like its name . Strawberry Ice.
thank you for posting.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@BranchingOut Very beautiful dahlia’s . I’ve never seen a dahlia with two tone colors and stripes on the same flower. . Every flower is different. Thank you for posting. 🤩