What are You Eating from the Garden?

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I picked my only ripe squash yesterday. The others are still in infancy. Not sure why this one was so far ahead of its siblings, but I picked it, microwaved it, and ate it, with butter, salt, and pepper!
SummerSquash21Jul2024a.JPG

SummerSquash21Jul2024b.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cucumbers. We are beginning to have a steady supply.

I wanted to enjoy my morning and did not want to hurry out to run the trimmer in the backyard. It has become quite a task with the new veggie beds and leaving lawn grass where I can't reach it with the mower. I showed up out there just before 11AM on what is supposed to be a record high day 😬!

Coming in after an hour ... it was so nice to start my lunch with my favorite Beit Alpha cucumber, sliced by DW and straight out of the fridge ... cooled off with a cucumber :). Lunch was store-bought raviolis with 2023 pasta sauce (ingredients from the garden), Gai Lan, Gatorade and then a cup of coffee.

Green Man(1).JPG
Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just reading the ingredients for your dinner makes my mouth water. Yummmm.

it was really easy since the bbq pork was already made last week.

the bbq pork loin was done in the crockpot with about 30 large cloves of garlic and a little water to start. that went for most of a day until we pulled it apart and put in the onions and bbq sauce (brown sugar, ketchup and some mustard). we used about a gallon of ketchup (it was an entire large pork loin). we cooked the bbq sauce and onions in the microwave for a while because it wasn't going to all fit in the crock pot.

i just picked about a sink and a half of green peppers plus a few Beaver Dam and other peppers which might be hotter than the green peppers (they should have all been California Wonder but i don't think they all were). i did not pick all the Beaver Dam peppers because we don't have the room in the refridgerator or freezer for everything at this moment. we'll be giving away maybe a third of the peppers as rejects (too small or wrong shape that Mom doesn't want to deal with). so i'll be cleaning up the ones that Mom does want to use and the hot peppers i'll have Mom make up a dish of stuffed peppers from those for me.

my brother will be coming for lunch so we gotta get some of those peppers done and stuffed and into the oven soon.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Night's Dinner was,
  • amaranth "greens"
  • green beans
  • corn!
  • a couple of egg rolls.
May not be best to suggest it to your mother, @flowerbug , but all the usual ingredients common in stuffed peppers can go in a casserole with the peppers chopped. This became a common approach because Giant Marconi tended to do better in our garden than bells. In 2024 this is not so true since many of the bells are in the greenhouse bed. They are beginning to revel in that location by providing baskets of bells each week. However, there are also Italian types, so casseroles remain on the menu.

Overnight temperatures in the 50's (low teens Celsius) are not appreciated by peppers.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Night's Dinner was,
  • amaranth "greens"
  • green beans
  • corn!
  • a couple of egg rolls.

yum! :)

i was supposed to have a few egg rolls from our favorite chinese restaurant last night but plans changed.

May not be best to suggest it to your mother, @flowerbug , but all the usual ingredients common in stuffed peppers can go in a casserole with the peppers chopped. This became a common approach because Giant Marconi tended to do better in our garden than bells. In 2024 this is not so true since many of the bells are in the greenhouse bed. They are beginning to revel in that location by providing baskets of bells each week. However, there are also Italian types, so casseroles remain on the menu.

we've already got three caserole dishes ready to bake and Mom didn't care about the dish that i wanted to make with the hot peppers so i've stopped cutting up and cleaning out peppers until i know how many rounds she wants to actually make today. i thought it was going to be at least three rounds through the oven but now it sounds like she doesn't want to even do the 2nd round... but i've already cut up enough for that... oops... :)

yes, i've done the chopped up versions and layered versions before but Mom is stuck in what she wants so suggestions or variations aren't on her menu... she doesn't actually eat many of the peppers themselves so i understand that she doesn't want them cut up and put in. i usually end up eating the peppers that she takes the stuffing out of and eats.

Overnight temperatures in the 50's (low teens Celsius) are not appreciated by peppers.

we're not due for any of that here i don't think. i saw some blooms getting ready while picking this round of peppers so there will be at least one more round eventually.

Last edited:

Latest posts