What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally, the larger tomatoes are ripening more than 1 every 15 days, or whatever the plants had in mind a couple of weeks ago. It is almost scary the number of green fruit several have loaded up with in recent days. They better not all ripen at once but, then again, they haven't much more time.

Have you ever lost interest in garden production because so much has been brought home from the store while you wait? DW is the person who loves to shop, and loves fresh food. I thought that she might do that this year with the sweet corn and was pleased that it didn't happen. We were just as happy as usual when ours was ready for the kitchen.

I have likely made a mistake with the location of our melon plants in '24. Delayed. But, DW began to  buy melons as soon as they showed up in the stores. I remember telling her that the firsts may not have been from N America, it was so early in the year. With all of my emphasis on garden melons over many, many years — she is happy to see them, wherever they come from.

I used to be somewhat surprised by our steady diet of broccoli. Not only did we grow it but it continued to have appeal in the produce aisles during the Winter. It was a mainstay in our diet. For the first time, we are contentedly growing gai lan this year instead of broccoli. We decided to go that route in the Spring because I know, as soon as the growing season ends ;), we will be right back to buying broccoli at the store.

Steve, when am I gonna set up that 12 month growing system right at the foot of the back steps?

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As someone who sells seeds, I appreciate your willingness to support good quality seed producers! 😌
That said, saving tomatoes seeds is only a messy, stinky affair if you're doing lots of tomatoes; with a single cherry tomato, you can just smear it on a piece of computer paper, let it dry, and that's it. It is very easy on a small scale.
And saving tomato seeds is fun! For years all I did was smear them on a paper towel and rub off the gel, and it worked just fine. In fact I have some in the freezer from 15 years ago and they are still viable-- so I concur with heirloomgal that it can be very simple to save seeds from a favourite tomato.

Until recently I was like SPedigrees, shunning any lengthy method for processing tomato seeds-- but now I ferment the seeds as it evidently limits passing on seed-borne disease. And weirdly enough it has become one of my favourite late summer activities. This year I am only planning on saving seeds from a few varieties, one of which is a lovely little orange cherry tomato called Honey Nail. I cut them in half and if robust seeds are present I scoop them out into a little bowl; the rest of the tomato becomes part of my salad for lunch. Then the seeds go in a small jar with a loosely fitted lid. I keep the jar on the counter where I will see it every day, and I try to shake or stir it a couple of times a day. By day 3 or 4 the seedy solution will begin to show signs of fermenting, with a white film forming over the top. At that point I fill the jar halfway with water, put the lid back on tightly, shake it around, and then slowly pour off the water. The good seeds are heavier than the water and they sink to the bottom of the jar; unviable seeds float, and are carried away down the drain. After a couple of rinsings all that is left are nice clean tomato seeds (and if by chance there is still gel attached to the seeds they will remain in the jar on the counter to ferment for a few more days). I spread the pristine seeds out on a saucer and let them dry for a week or so before putting them away. It's a wonderful pastime. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Cucumbers! Surprisingly, the Martini Hybrids are very productive, the Cucumber Ashley, Very tasty but less productive.
This has taught me that I only need one 12 ft fence for cucumbers next year, Once the Munchers start producing I will be busy pickling, so I won't need more.
DH absolutely HATES store bought cucumbers, but loves the ones I grow.
I believe that you have to eat them fresh, or they start tasting like the store bought ones.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And saving tomato seeds is fun! For years all I did was smear them on a paper towel and rub off the gel, and it worked just fine. In fact I have some in the freezer from 15 years ago and they are still viable-- so I concur with heirloomgal that it can be very simple to save seeds from a favourite tomato.

Until recently I was like SPedigrees, shunning any lengthy method for processing tomato seeds-- but now I ferment the seeds as it evidently limits passing on seed-borne disease. And weirdly enough it has become one of my favourite late summer activities. This year I am only planning on saving seeds from a few varieties, one of which is a lovely little orange cherry tomato called Honey Nail. I cut them in half and if robust seeds are present I scoop them out into a little bowl; the rest of the tomato becomes part of my salad for lunch. Then the seeds go in a small jar with a loosely fitted lid. I keep the jar on the counter where I will see it every day, and I try to shake or stir it a couple of times a day. By day 3 or 4 the seedy solution will begin to show signs of fermenting, with a white film forming over the top. At that point I fill the jar halfway with water, put the lid back on tightly, shake it around, and then slowly pour off the water. The good seeds are heavier than the water and they sink to the bottom of the jar; unviable seeds float, and are carried away down the drain. After a couple of rinsings all that is left are nice clean tomato seeds (and if by chance there is still gel attached to the seeds they will remain in the jar on the counter to ferment for a few more days). I spread the pristine seeds out on a saucer and let them dry for a week or so before putting them away. It's a wonderful pastime. :)
I grew Honey Nail last year, the production was lunacy.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cucumbers! Surprisingly, the Martini Hybrids are very productive, the Cucumber Ashley, Very tasty but less productive.
This has taught me that I only need one 12 ft fence for cucumbers next year, Once the Munchers start producing I will be busy pickling, so I won't need more.
DH absolutely HATES store bought cucumbers, but loves the ones I grow.
I believe that you have to eat them fresh, or they start tasting like the store bought ones.
You might want to try 'Liso Calcutta' gherkins @ducks4you , I think you'd like them and they are even easier to grow than cucumbers but very similar in taste. I found out about them through @Zeedman and I'm so glad I tried them. Fantastic food imho!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have you ever lost interest in garden production because so much has been brought home from the store while you wait?
I find it's generally the opposite! I have ceased to munch my corn anymore for seed saving purposes, but saw some beautiful fresh corn at the grocery store today so I bought 1/2 dozen anticipating that wonderful taste of all the fresh corn I've eaten from my own garden this summer. Wow, unrealistic expectations. The flavor was flat, one dimensional and the kernels were really, really shallow. I almost wanted to pitch all those cobs, say to heck with the seeds, and go raid the garden instead!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Branching Out , Mei Qing Choi has been our standard Fall greens crop. Some seedlings are already up and growing and will be transplanted out when there is a break in the hot weather.

Steve
I started seeds of gai lan Green Pearl in 1 1/2" soil blocks on August 4th, and today they will get planted out. It's always fun to grow a crop that is new to us. I think I will direct sow a row of Green Pearl alongside the transplants, to see how that goes. Seedlings of lettuce, Mizuna, Pac Choi, and other Asian greens will be tucked in as well. So thanks for the inspiration digitS'-- if all goes well we'll soon be eating these greens from our fall garden.

Attachments

• IMG_20240822_074718847.jpg
    IMG_20240822_074718847.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240822_074822669.jpg
    IMG_20240822_074822669.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240822_074840052.jpg
    IMG_20240822_074840052.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The bottom shelf of the fridge is almost full of cucumbers. I didn't expect so many from such a small planting and there doesn't seem to be the slightest break in production. And, it won't be too long and the second planting of cukes will be producing. I can happily eat one each day and DW does as well but we aren't keeping up. The 2 of us just don't eat enough pickles to justify any canning.

The beefsteak tomatoes are finally ahead of us and beginning to "pile up" in the kitchen. So, it's not just being overwhelmed by cherries. Pepper plants are kicking them out both in the greenhouse and outdoors. I can do a little better on all of those :). Still a good supply of greens. There are a few corn plants out there but a lag in ripening.

Steve

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The bottom shelf of the fridge is almost full of cucumbers. I didn't expect so many from such a small planting and there doesn't seem to be the slightest break in production. And, it won't be too long and the second planting of cukes will be producing. I can happily eat one each day and DW does as well but we aren't keeping up. The 2 of us just don't eat enough pickles to justify any canning.

The beefsteak tomatoes are finally ahead of us and beginning to "pile up" in the kitchen. So, it's not just being overwhelmed by cherries. Pepper plants are kicking them out both in the greenhouse and outdoors. I can do a little better on all of those :). Still a good supply of greens. There are a few corn plants out there but a lag in ripening.

Steve
Overabundance is beginning to re-shape my 2025 planting plans. As much as I love yellow summer squash, I'm becoming "squashed out" and re-thinking my plans to grow it again next summer. My alternative plan was cucumbers, but recalling my enormous cuke harvest of 2 years ago has made me think twice. I did pickle all that i couldn't eat, but it was a huge task that doesn't fit with my efforts to simplify my life. I did eat all of those pickles with the help of my visiting sister who also took about a 3rd of the jars home with her, but I find myself disinclined to repeat that endeavor.

So, after browsing the seed catalogs, I've decided to go with beets next year. I like them, they're easy to freeze, and can also be pickled. I love pickled beets but many that I've bought lack as much sugar as I like. So I guess laziness has guided my 2025 gardening plans.

Tomatoes are filling my kitchen counter space, but I've been freezing most, and eating the rest. In mid-winter I'll be enthused about turning the frozen harvest into spaghetti sauce. So tomatoes will remain on the agenda probably forever.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, reading @SPedigrees , I am again exposed to our wonderful world of diversity in Tastes. I might once have thought, maybe as a toddler, that tastes are all the same as mine 🧒 .

Summer squash, I am squash out before I begin. Pickled cucumbers, I like them but even the gherkins are a little too much for me. Pickled beets? As much as I like beet greens, pickled? Oh no!!

Steve, avoiding congestion in the canning supplies aisle