Your Weather 2023

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we did get some nice rains last night. i slept through most of it. the weather change got my usual left hip/lower back to ache and woke me up. today's high is forecast to hit 79F and chances of scattered rain.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Storms that pass through at night are generally weakening; but not last night. The front rolled through after sunset - and intensified. I was visiting my brother (about 10 miles North of me) and we watched the storm from his screen porch. Thankfully we missed out on the hail, but plenty of lightning & rain.

We thought we had missed out on high winds too... but they came just as the storm was almost past. There was a thump just outside, which turned out to be a large branch from one of his big trees that was blown over from the other side of the house. :eek: We thought we heard a tree come down too, but it must have been one of his neighbors. At home, none of my trees were damaged... and fortunately the EAA avoided the worst winds.

The sub pump started running again today. We might finally be getting close to our normal precipitation now, good news for the local farmers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Imagine, if you will, what it is like to be a meteorologist at a weather station -- checking instruments, looking at the history, inputting data and reading computer models. Maybe they are outside during an early hour of the day and setting off a weather balloon to disappear into the sky.

"Things" have been very much the same for weeks and week. Then, it looks as though there is something new on the horizon ... Here is what is on today's forecast discussion page:

"The latest model guidance has slowed down our incoming moisture arrival and now the disturbance is packing a bigger precipitation punch than we saw just last night. ..... Moving into Sunday and Monday: As precipitation amounts continue an upward trend, one useful tool to see how "extreme" an event is with respect to climatology (EFI) has continued to get excited about the QPF for Sunday into Monday. Within a 5 week climatology period, this data set would suggest that there is an increasing potential (from 2 to 5 and now at 8) for an extreme event to unfold. Now, we take into consideration how dry it has been for the last 4 of the 5 weeks and an influx of the Monsoonal moisture pushing northward..."

A QPF is simply a Quantitative Precipitation Forecast. What they believe it will amount to :). Rain. :)

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just what we didn't need yesterday... more rain. Now the flooding has invaded the small city 20 miles north of here where I buy my groceries and conduct other errands. As there is another small city/town with conveniences (and a good farmers market) 20 miles to my south, I think I will head there instead of the northern city. All I know about last night's flood is that at least 20 people & pets were rescued by boat, many roads are washed out/ closed, and a shelter for now-homeless flood victims opened at the high school. A river runs right by the vet clinic where I take my animals, and I hope they are not flooded.

It's hard to believe that not so many miles to our north, eastern Canada is on fire for want of rain. A shame we can't send them some.

One thing is for sure, our local meteorologists are not bored!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@SPedigrees , we moved out of various drought designations during the Winter months with snow. But now ... And, compared to your weather ... Where is the balance? This is for the month of July at my nearest airport Weather Station?

precipitation.png
6/100th of an inch of rain will not wet a concrete sidewalk. It produces some water on a car that amounts to so little, it doesn't run off the hood.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
and i was looking forwards to finally being able to get out and get some weeding done today and it started raining a while ago. yes, the rains are appreciated, but now i'm another day behind... tomorrow's forecast is clear... so far...

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nice sunny day here today, but I just almost cannot believe the forecast - heavy rain for tomorrow and the next day. OK weather gods, we've had enough rain already. The skies here are like a water faucet that won't shut off.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it has been a good soaker today and i'm glad for it as we certainly could use it. i don't think it has stopped raining since this morning.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is 80* today! Which is a heatwave for us. Good thing we have a window ac unit that keeps our bedroom very pleasantly cooled. It's where I read and watch tv so spend plenty of time there.

Mary

Latest posts