Your Weather 2023

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our poor summer.... gave me the illusion that I lived in Scandinavia....
9527.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our nighttime temperatures for the week are supposed to be about where @Phaedra 's are through her day. Daytime, more like 30°C. It's good to move out of the higher temps but ... where's today's rain?

It looks like it has fallen in several locations N & S. The prediction of 70% for the day has dropped to 30% for the afternoon and then to nuthin'! I was in the distant garden before 7 AM and it looked like it might have received more than that .16" that fell at home yesterday but I gave it the usual 3 hours of water while shucking the sweetcorn and taking melons to 2 nearby households. Three hours is what I consider minimum and the little rainstorm was just of added benefit. If it had poured rain on my way home, I'd have been delighted ;).

Steve, still with fingers crossed 🤞

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a very nice day today of low-to-mid-70s (cloudy and a breeze) and four hours of weeding for each of us before we got too tired to do any more. it was also supposed to rain and we just picked up a light rain from the larger storm that is going through this area to the north of us. i'm not sure if that will be all that we'll get (it looks like we may just miss the part i'm seeing and hearing now but we'll see if that expands to hit us) but it's ok, the soil still has plenty of moisture.

ah, ok, yes we did get some more.

my hands are cold and i'm hiding under my binkies to get warm again.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we got hammered pretty good by some storms which surprised me. some hail but not too much. however, we were pretty close to tornado weather as there was hail and strong winds that changed direction rather quickly. i think the town to the southeast of us might have gotten an even harsher version a little while ago when yet another line of storms came through but at least this time they went both north and south of us and did not get us.

chances of rain later again.

so far 1 & 1/4 inches of rain in the gauge (3.2cm) for today.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank goodness we received 1/2" of rain a few days ago, because now we have quite a heat wave anticipated for a full week. Daytime highs around 32C (90F), but feeling several degrees warmer with the humidity. Night time lows will only drop to 20C (68F), so not much relief there. Good chance we will be sleeping on the hide-a-bed in the basement for a few days. So much of the garden has gone from crispy to completely desiccated, and this next stretch will likely finish off some more. I will be covering some of the more vulnerable plants with white sheets, to keep their roots from getting scorched. We may try to add a layer of wide weave burlap over the top of the fall-bearing raspberries as well, since they are just starting to fruit and are rather sensitive to intense heat. I'll try to water a few sections of the garden each day too, but it is impossible to keep up-- and the soil is so dry that watering has less and less of a positive effect anyway. Hopefully this will be our last intense heat wave of the summer.