Your Weather, 2024

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We are enjoying almost 2 straight weeks of mid 70-s to mid-80's, unHEARD of in the first 1/2 of August.
AND...mostly dry, but it's been raining.
It is So Nice to have the fans running, not the AC.
When we went to Alaska on the cruise last year we rented an SUV and drove 90 miles north into Yukon territory.
I am pretty sure that this is Their normal August weather.
You would know better than me, @heirloomgal !

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had a warm day yesterday but at least there was a breeze.
The other day it was really hot and the sky was covered in what seemed too be one dirty cloud in various shades of grey

We are getting grey skies a lot, and sometimes a blue sky and sun. Bizarre weather in all

It's 5am now and raining.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The weather patterns have been extreme since global warming. We have had some odd ball weather the past few years never seen here before in this region. I have lost a few plants since and my growing zone has changed due to the weather change. Even this summer is had demonstrated an odd amount of dry lightening storms starting hundreds of wildfires.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The weather patterns have been extreme since global warming. We have had some odd ball weather the past few years never seen here before in this region. I have lost a few plants since and my growing zone has changed due to the weather change. Even this summer is had demonstrated an odd amount of dry lightening storms starting hundreds of wildfires.
Thankfully we haven't had these lightning and thunder storms. But the weather is extremely unpredictable.
These potatoes I'm trying to grow might have been affected.

I noticed that a lot of black dust like substances in the water collection outside, we had orange/rust that was last year and again another dust like substance.

There's no dust on these potato plants but they don't seem to be growing at all apart from the leaves
1000002654.jpg

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Marie2020 Leaves look healthy pretty nice plants. Bummer they are not doing well . It’s disappointing when so much work, planning and expectations for our garden plants just flop for no reason.
I’m sure is nothing you did sometimes plants are just duds.

Another wildfire started last night. A semi truck hauling condensed cardboard caught on fire by the highway and the dried grass near the side of the road spread thruout the ground to the hills and now burning over 175 acres over night. Smoky skies again. Thank goodness it’s not near us. But the smoke is following a ‘wrap around wind current’ directly at us. That’s a new one . Thank the lord for these brave firefighters. Saving homes, businesses .🙏🏽

Last edited:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess this is sort of weather related. Because of increased solar activity, the northern lights have been visible here the last couple nights. It's probably a familiar sight to Alasgun, but it's somewhat of a novelty here in the lower 48, or at least in the northernmost states.