Your Weather, 2024

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Temperatures going ⤴️ . The Weather Service say that we may see 2 new records and 1 tied next week.

It's 53⁰f (12⁰C) right now in our neighborhood after a high yesterday of 86⁰ (30⁰C). No records there but as the mercury climbs, we sure better hope that those overnight temperatures continue to drop below "room temperature." It sure helps.

I suspect that many may be envious of the ability to open windows during mornings during hot spells. I'm taking full advantage of it with a big fan running to exhaust in one window and 2 more helping to move air through the house. Beginning at 4:30, but it will all be closed up in a few hours with AC on in the afternoon. Trial run yesterday including DW and me in living room with the curtain up to keep the refrigerated AC air from escaping into the kitchen/dining area ;). Silly on that day and we were soon chilled. It is a little chilly in here right now but I ain't closing any of that pleasant outside air out at 5:30AM.

Better be stirring around and shed some calories!

Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Heat wave arriving that will last about five days or so. Vulnerable plants have been protected, including covering the lower portion of a few pole bean plants with a white sheet to cool the roots (Yellow Sunshine, Herrenbohnli, and a couple of Blue Jay bush bean plants too). I would really hate for the bean blossoms to abort. We also have a front door planter made of brick that bakes in the sun. For that we installed a clothes line-type set up, so I can pin sheets to filter the hot sun. A long length of wide-weave burlap is just the thing for tenting the raspberries; without it the berries will turn white, and the crop will be ruined. Our hydrangea gets covered too (we find that if the leaves get sunburned it's irreversible, and looks awful for the rest of the season), and a new planting of cucumbers and annual flowers has sheer curtain fabric suspended over it using Loop Hoops to create a touch of shade. Let's hope that's enough to keep them comfy through the worst of the heat. 🤞

Attachments

• IMG_20240704_103536378.jpg
    IMG_20240704_103536378.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20240704_103731779.jpg
    IMG_20240704_103731779.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20240704_074530917.jpg
    IMG_20240704_074530917.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Heat wave arriving that will last about five days or so. Vulnerable plants have been protected, including covering the lower portion of a few pole bean plants with a white sheet to cool the roots (Yellow Sunshine, Herrenbohnli, and a couple of Blue Jay bush bean plants too). I would really hate for the bean blossoms to abort. We also have a front door planter made of brick that bakes in the sun. For that we installed a clothes line-type set up, so I can pin sheets to filter the hot sun. A long length of wide-weave burlap is just the thing for tenting the raspberries; without it the berries will turn white, and the crop will be ruined. Our hydrangea gets covered too (we find that if the leaves get sunburned it's irreversible, and looks awful for the rest of the season), and a new planting of cucumbers and annual flowers has sheer curtain fabric suspended over it using Loop Hoops to create a touch of shade. Let's hope that's enough to keep them comfy through the worst of the heat. 🤞
Pretty good set-up. Looks like you're well prepared for the coming inferno.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
flood watch for tonight and tomorrow. last beans i planted are sprouting and popping up. don't think i'll need to water those. it rained three times yesterday, not a huge amount but enough.

to say the least, i won't have to mow tomorrow as i may have to row instead.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was 101 here yesterday. I think Portland OR broke a record for heat temps. Gonna be as hot today, and then down about 10 degrees. My garden has to be watered twice a day and things are getting sun burned. No, I didn't use shade cloth.

I was at the Food Bank yesterday and good thing I brought my cooling towel for my neck. It was so hot going out to the cars getting the clients' information and then pushing a 173 lb net cart out to them. (117 lbs of food on average). So many of them can't lift the huge filled banana box, so I do. (it averages 48 lbs and I can barely put it into their trunk or the side door). But I cannot not dead lift 48 lbs.

Next shift tomorrow will be cooler.

Latest posts