Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So a flavorful marinade is in order for grits?

Imma little disappointed that DW cares not at all for cornmeal mush. It's not that I like it so well but, for a change?? No, cornbread is part of my game along with biscuits. Beef broth is ready for beef & barley and aaallll the veggies. I don't think I'll put dumplings on them, that's the easy way with the biscuit dough. Cornbread should accompany.

The morning French toast and pears are finished and a second breakfast of Post Honeycomb with raisins and banana ... I think that the sun is finally showing up from behind the rain clouds. If it's just gonna dry out now I bet the tree leaves are gonna drop like crazy! Maybe I can disappear them with the lawnmower by afternoon. But, right now, it's time for a cup of coffee :).

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Compared with cream cheese frosting, Ganache made with expresso and dark chocolate is a much more perfect match for banana cake/bread, in my opinion.

So, I will call this combination complete and ready for selling in my Café .:love
View attachment 61585
I like how your new coffee mug looks with this scrumptious serving!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20231022_122057_Chrome.jpg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I LOVE grits and don't understand why no one here in the north eats them! New Englanders eat cream-of-wheat and mashed potatoes willingly, so I've never understood why not also grits? I guess it's just avoidance of the unfamiliar.
Pennsylvania is the closest state to me where grits are on the breakfast menu at roadside cafes.
Cuisine wise, there may also be a classist thing involved. For a lot of the 18th to 19th century, maize was considered "lower class" grain, for animals and the poor. If you ate corn, it meant you were too poor to afford wheat flour. When people said "Indian corn" they didn't just mean that's who gave it to them, they were also using "Indian" in the sense of "fake, bogus, or inferior" (as in "Indian Giver" or "Indian Summer"). The whole pellagra thing when corn first was introduced to Europe didn't help (since the Europeans who brought it forgot to tell anyone about nixtamalization.)

In the South, a lot of the corn based cuisine came from giving it to the slaves (hence the old southern saying "We grow the wheat and they give us the corn.") It's re-gracing probably has quite a bit to do with many plantations also using house slaves for their cooks, who could introduce their families to the potentials of the grain.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love grits! We put butter and salt on the grits and usually had soft boiled eggs and toast or maybe bacon with it. My kids do like grits. DD starts to grave them when pregnant. I am still drinking coffee this morning. A very foggy cold morning. I have a fire in the woodstove. I took old bedding out of the rabbit's hutch and gave her new straw and a handful of hay to eat. She is having fun. I picked her a few green things. I dumped all the old bedding in my compost barrels. I dumped the 3 barrels yesterday and hauled finished compost to the garden. I put the compost back that was not finished and some leaves and other rabbit manure and straw back in the barrels. The barrel that I had dumped last spring and turned and put back in fished really ell and full of worms.

Should I just leave the finished compost in a pile, or spread it out on the garden, or turn it under in the ground? I have it in the garden right now.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
HEY! @Pulsegleaner !
I already SAID that I love grits!!
Now that I think of it, there may be a reverse of this. I won't pretend to be deeply knowledgeable about Southern cooking, but would I be right that it doesn't make much use of oats or rye (beyond adding rye to the whisky, of course). Rye tends to thrive in cooler places (that's actually why people started growing it, it could be planted earlier and colder than wheat could.) and the same is true for oats, I think. So those tend to be grown, and eaten in the more northern parts of the country. At that would fit in, the north didn't need grits as much since it had oatmeal as a nutritional equivalent.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Should I just leave the finished compost in a pile, or spread it out on the garden, or turn it under in the ground?
Think of it as having great value. Which, it does.

Growing plants will benefit from the finished compost in the Spring. It loses quality into the air. Most living organisms won't make much use of it through the upcoming months but any depletion before they do will be loss.

Steve