Coffee

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Think of it as having great value. Which, it does.

Growing plants will benefit from the finished compost in the Spring. It loses quality into the air. Most living organisms won't make much use of it through the upcoming months but any depletion before they do will be loss.

Steve
I picked a bad time to work with this. I did not think anything had composted down, so when I turned the barrel over I was really surprised.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about covering it with soil where it is ... or, just frost-killed plants from the garden, @Gardening with Rabbits ?

... pancakes flipping ;).

Screenshot_20231024_085412_Chrome.jpg
No hunting for the witch needed this Fall :D

digitS'

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
the north didn't need grits as much since it had oatmeal as a nutritional equivalent.
I don't think of oatmeal and grits serving the same purpose. Although I like both, grits to me are more an equivalent of cream of wheat or white toast, in that they are bland, easy-to-digest counterparts to an otherwise greasy breakfast. Oatmeal doesn't really have that same smooth, grease-absorbing nature. All of these things have nutritional value, but I think taste (and texture) reigned supreme when choosing a breakfast accompaniment.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Imma little disappointed that DW cares not at all for cornmeal mush. It's not that I like it so well but, for a change?? No, cornbread is part of my game along with biscuits.

Steve
I was never acquainted with corn meal mush until introduced to it by my late husband's southern roots. Back in the day I used to cook up potfuls of various hot cereals, many of which I can't even remember now, if they still exist. There was ralston, maltex, creams of wheat or rice, oatmeal, and corn meal mush. I was familiar with corn bread and so had a round container of corn meal on the shelf, but learned after the fact that it could also be boiled as a hot cereal. What I haven't seen mentioned on this forum yet, is fried cornmeal mush. I learned to make that, with the suggestion and instructions from hubby, even later, one day when we had leftover corn meal mush.

Often I would offer leftover cooked cereals, topped with maple syrup, to the horses. That was always a big hit!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good morning! Coffee is ready! Today and tomorrow I’ll be pulling T-posts out of the front fence row. Neighbors have a bull dozer coming and I’m getting in on that! In a few hours Bulldozer Man can clean fence row, that would take me all year to hack and cut by hand!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was never acquainted with corn meal mush until introduced to it by my late husband's southern roots. Back in the day I used to cook up potfuls of various hot cereals, many of which I can't even remember now, if they still exist. There was ralston, maltex, creams of wheat or rice, oatmeal, and corn meal mush. I was familiar with corn bread and so had a round container of corn meal on the shelf, but learned after the fact that it could also be boiled as a hot cereal. What I haven't seen mentioned on this forum yet, is fried cornmeal mush. I learned to make that, with the suggestion and instructions from hubby, even later, one day when we had leftover corn meal mush.

Often I would offer leftover cooked cereals, topped with maple syrup, to the horses. That was always a big hit!

for some reason i've always liked goopy things even if they are bland. a little butter and brown sugar or cocoa can rescue about anything, but of course maple syrup is really nice if i can get it.

fried slabs of most of them are also ok, but i don't really care once it is cooked if it is heated up a lot after that. just warm is ok and in the summer cold is sometimes ok too. i'm pretty sure that as a kid warmed up leftovers from italian american dishes was a frequent breakfast and i really like all of them and they can be kind of goopy if the pasta gets mooshy.

later on the super sweet cereals came along and i'll admit that i really do like the Fruity Pebbles or Cocoa Pebbles or a bunch of the others but the amount of sugar in those is like asking for trouble, plus they don't really stick too well and i'm hungry again too soon.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. Bananaananaaa pancakes were leftover, reheated. A Bartlett pear with several more on the table. One more ripe banana but you will have to wait for the green ones. A choice of Gala or Golden Delicious apples. A cut up pineapple in the fridge with a small carton of late-season raspberries – yes, all from the fruit aisle.

Rain and windy outdoors but we are assured that the rain will finish off with snow. Kind of miserable out there, so here is a relaxing song in appreciation of the season past.

Steve

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I’m
So a flavorful marinade is in order for grits?

Imma little disappointed that DW cares not at all for cornmeal mush. It's not that I like it so well but, for a change??
Steve
My daddy used to make cornmeal mush. It was always a big production with fat polish sausages and Karo syrup to go over the crispy, fried mush. I loved it!

Latest posts