Coffee

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
images

Fresh, HOT and READY coffee is all brewed for anyone who wants some plus there is tea bags and hot cocoa packets right by the coffee so fix a cup or glass and enjoy the stillness and quiet of the morning while waiting for it to get your brain functioning again for the day.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
images

Fresh, HOT and READY coffee is all brewed for anyone who wants some plus there is tea bags and hot cocoa packets right by the coffee so fix a cup or glass and enjoy the stillness and quiet of the morning while waiting for it to get your brain functioning again for the day.

*blinks morse code saying We are here!* ...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely Full Moon through the kitchen window when I arrived there this morning. It was 16°f (-9°C) but, of course, just a little bbbbelow room temperature and the furnace soon had my lazyboy immediate environment warmed up. Oh, we are so spoiled :D.

I remember hovering around the wood stove ... i mean open fire, pulling my deer skin tighter over my shoulders, flipping another pinecone in to hurry up the flame ...

Nah ;). French toast and an apple, time for the herbal tea. A little bit of a sinus headache maybe from imaging the pinecone smoke. Think that I will take these dang reading glasses off and rub some methyl salicylate above the eyebrows 🥴 .

Steve

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I dk. I never had a hushpuppy 😳
Nor have I, but I did once have a couple corn fritters which the internet says are very similar, if not the same, as hushpuppies. The fritters were a deep-fried cake-like thing made from corn meal, flour, leavening, eggs, and milk, whereas fried corn meal mush contains only a single ingredient (unless you count water as a 2nd) aka corn meal. The fritters I had were rolled balls, but I've seen pictures where they were molded into patties.

There is a Puerto Rican snack food called sorullitos which are a mix of corn meal and grated or shredded Gouda or Edam cheese, rolled into small cigar-shapes, and deep fried. I make these about every 20 years at the same time I make doughnuts. That's about as often as I can deal with a vat of liquid grease, so I use it to make two different concoctions. I'd make a very poor southern lady!

This is the recipe:
Sorullitos:
2 cups salted boiling water
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup grated cheese (gouda)
Olive oil

Mix cornmeal with boiling water
Cook over moderate heat until mixture separates from bottom & sides of pan
Remove from heat
Add grated cheese and mix well
Shape into teaspoon sized balls
Roll balls into shape of small cigars
Deep fry at 375 degrees until golden brown
Drain on paper towels

(Dipping sauce: mayonaise & ketchup mixed )

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Forgive me for being an ignorant Yankee, but how is that fried cornmeal mush different from an oversized hushpuppy?
As far as I know of Hushpuppies are round and deep fried where as far I'm concerned FRIED cornmeal mush is patty form and pan (griddle) fried.
@Pulsegleaner I also am a Yankee (originally from Central New York) but I am a transplanted Yankee.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
not here, we have none of those. i just keep worms (and their ecosystem of creatures including tiny spiders, wood lice and whatever else appears in the buckets) and that is good enough for me.
Flowerbug, I have read that worms do not like it if you put hot spicy pepper scraps in the compost bin. In your opinion is there any truth to that?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
As far as I know of Hushpuppies are round and deep fried where as far I'm concerned FRIED cornmeal mush is patty form and pan (griddle) fried.
@Pulsegleaner I also am a Yankee (originally from Central New York) but I am a transplanted Yankee.

i think hush puppies also have sometimes a savory component added (i've had them with onion and garlic in them).

Latest posts