Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ooh, November. I've been told that this march towards the bottom of the scales of temperatures and darkness ends sometime after another several weeks.

I will believe it when I see it ...

This has been shared before but, since it is worth considering, I will put it out there again ;). Some scholars believe that when northern Europeans were all but entirely livestock herding societies, this time of year represented a return to Winter settlements after the seasons of pasturing the herds at higher elevations. The Winter quarter had been, for the most part, abandoned through the warmer months. Families came together once again after having been separated.

It was a reintroduction and especially important to the children for whom, it was such a change in their short lives. But first, there was a need to vanquish the spirits that may have occupied the settlement site through the long months. A celebration of coming together and sharing but at the same time, kind of scary and a reflection on the past during the long hours of darkness with longer hours yet to come.

So, you see, a hamlet may be home but the settlement must be settled and the community was still a step away from being a town where fences were there to guard the ground from animals for gardening not corral them. Of course, they may have been a bit of a combination as gardeners began to bring civilization to communities. But anyway, Halloween could serve as the transition time. So, enough of this silliness! Up too late, where's breakfast?

Steve 🤠

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ooh, November. I've been told that this march towards the bottom of the scales of temperatures and darkness ends sometime after another several weeks.

I will believe it when I see it ...

This has been shared before but, since it is worth considering, I will put it out there again ;). Some scholars believe that when northern Europeans were all but entirely livestock herding societies, this time of year represented a return to Winter settlements after the seasons of pasturing the herds at higher elevations. The Winter quarter had been, for the most part, abandoned through the warmer months. Families came together once again after having been separated.

It was a reintroduction and especially important to the children for whom, it was such a change in their short lives. But first, there was a need to vanquish the spirits that may have occupied the settlement site through the long months. A celebration of coming together and sharing but at the same time, kind of scary and a reflection on the past during the long hours of darkness with longer hours yet to come.

i like the idea of a feast too which also can use up some of the harvest or gatherings of the season at hand which may spoil if not consumed. better to eat it and store it in tummy or body fat instead of having it go to waste.

my order remains for pumpkin pie no matter how you make it. is pie a changed word from pile?

So, you see, a hamlet may be home but the settlement must be settled and the community was still a step away from being a town where fences were there to guard the ground from animals for gardening not corral them. Of course, they may have been a bit of a combination as gardeners began to bring civilization to communities. But anyway, Halloween could serve as the transition time.

i find the combination of gardening and civilization as interesting there...

in the longer term view of things it may turn out that our current concept of civilization just isn't working or even possible. putting too many people in close quarters (with the many problems that creates) is too destructive for all the other species we share this planet with...

So, enough of this silliness! Up too late, where's breakfast?

not made yet. :) i've returned to my previous bad habit of not being hungry or motivated enough to even make oatmeal.

the sun is up, the ground is covered in a heavy frost that is sparkling in the light breeze. bluejays are flying around making their squeaky wheel calls and the flies are on the windows because the change in temperatures makes them go in and out of their hiding places for the winter.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So this morning i swung into one of our fu-fu coffee joints, and picked up a 20 oz mocha! Completely out of character for me but i wanted something to occupy my mind as i made one last attempt to catch a fish with a fly rod. I was going to a sorta secret stream known only to about 200,000 locals which was roughly an hour North of me. It was barely daylight when i left and directly i noticed what the locals would say “the mountain was out”! Now don’t get me wrong, Denali is pretty awesome but the new kinda wears off after so many years. To gain a perspective, bear in mind the mountain is still over 200 miles from where i took this picture! I‘m especially fond of the Alpine-glow, which we normally see later in the season!

When i arrived at my destination the kiosk was in-operable so i got to park for free. It was nice to have the place to myself and i enjoyed the short walk to the stream. Just me and a couple birds; no campers, no Bears and apparently no fish or maybe they just out smarted me. It’s cold enough that the line was freezing in the guides and my fly’s turned into ice cubes. This trip was more about trying out a couple new rods and i was pleased with how it went. If there’s a fly fisherman in our midst; i fished a flesh fly and a pink squirrel on the way up the stream and an egg pattern and a black nymph on the way back down.

Attachments

• IMG_1508.jpeg
    IMG_1508.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1511.jpeg
    IMG_1511.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1509.jpeg
    IMG_1509.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 75

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready! Having scrambled eggs this morning before I go feed and go back to work on the burn pile. It’s 34F with high of 60F I slept like a rock last night, tired will do that to me. LOL Grass is white, everything is frosted.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... If there’s a fly fisherman in our midst; i fished a flesh fly and a pink squirrel on the way up the stream and an egg pattern and a black nymph on the way back down.

i stream fished with someone who fly fished while i used lures (and a much smaller pole because we were always walking small streams with a lot of cover growing around and over them).

lovely pics. :)

as far as i was always concerned fishing was rarely about catching fish, but just getting away from the desk job and walking in the streams which we did for several seasons so i got to see and walk about every stream of the Keweenaw Peninsula north of the Portage Canal. we did catch some nice brookies, rainbows and browns but usually didn't keep them.

sometimes we also did lake fishing from a canoe so i also got to see a lot of small lakes in the area.

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
images

There's at least 1/3 of a pot remaining (well that is until I go get my 2nd cup here in a few; FH stopped at our local DG last night and got me a small bag of Cafe Bustello seeing how he doesn't like it when I don't have coffee) so grab a cup or glass for Iced Coffee but there's also tea bags and Hot Cocoa too!