Garden Master
Reaction score
zcompost.jpg
And, One for @flowerbug

zDay12.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Raisins in the Cheerios and Kix this morning. How's that for pathetic? Early August and I'm having dried fruit for breakfast ... oh, there is a cut up Santa Claus melon in the fridge. That's available for a 2nd breakfast and, probably, some zucchini bread. Oolong tasting good.

Shopping for local fruit has to be on the schedule! First, I have to water everything. I will start as soon as it is light enuf to see.

Early August? Back-to-School coming up. Got your Halloween costume picked out? Turkey ordered? Need to get to that Christmas shopping. Happy New Year Everyone

! Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee! I’d take one of @Phaedra’s lovely creations to go with my coffee. Dont care which one, they all look fabulous. I’d be happy with crumbs! The morning sun is peeking over the pine trees, a glowing red ball, making promises of a lot of heat for the day. I’ve been working outside as much as possible, but have to come in around noon, it’s just too hot. Couple of days ago I mowed the middle field with my tractor until 3 PM, didn’t finish, I need to get back on it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a few things crossed off my list. I put up a new mailbox. The mail lady hit the other one during hurricane Beryl. She called next day, apologized and wanted to pay for it. I told her don’t worry about it. I finally bought a new one, and today finally put up the new one. I looked at some cut hay before it was baled and didn’t want it because it had Panic grass in it. My sheep won’t eat it green, growing in the field, they sure won’t eat it as hay.

Then I carried a couple of boxes out to the shed. There was boxes of nails, screws and other hardware in the boxes. I put away the contents. 2 more boxes done!

I cleaned out under the bathroom sink cabinet. A mouse had got in it and left a poop trail. I washed the towels, vacuumed out the cabinet and cleaned it.

I made 2 lemon chess pies, took one to a neighbor. Relaxing a little now.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@baymule out of curiosity…I wonder what lemon chess pie’s are and look like? Sounds yummy.
I had ducks for a time and made lemon meringue pies. I used duck egg whites for the meringue , really easy abundant , very high topping , nice and light. No one knew the difference they were not chicken eggs .👍

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Been looking at the several dozen eggs in my fridge, btw, no flock right now, and thought I'd make a dozen HB eggs on Wednesday.
So...I go to the porch and say, what smells like meat?!?!?
I had left them to burn and explode in the kitchen. Took me 15 minutes to clean up the mess, on the floor, on the stove, even shells on the kitchen table, more time to clean the pot, BUT, I tried again Thursday and kept an eye on them, so DH and I have been enjoying them.
DH was tempted to eat them with toast for BF, and he doesn't usually Eat breakfast...with coffee.
I just made another dozen, hope to make deviled eggs to go with the roast for dinner for us and DD's.
3 HB eggs with My coffee this morning. :love

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been looking at the several dozen eggs in my fridge, btw, no flock right now, and thought I'd make a dozen HB eggs on Wednesday.
So...I go to the porch and say, what smells like meat?!?!?
I had left them to burn and explode in the kitchen. Took me 15 minutes to clean up the mess, on the floor, on the stove, even shells on the kitchen table, more time to clean the pot,...

wow! i'd not heard that was possible by boiling them on the stove, but i did one time nuke some eggs in water for a long time and got exploded eggs when i took them out of the water. also a big mess plus some burns on my hand and stomach where the bits of eggs and shells stuck to me. there was a line on the wall at that height of eggs and egg shells that stuck too that i had to clean up. royally stunk up the place.

at the time i was the only person in the entire residence hall so i wasn't making anyone else sick by the smell and i didn't go up on the other floors to see how far the stink went, but it was pretty horrid. the kitchenette was in the basement.

it was an interesting place to live for the years i was there. DHH on MTU campus. because i was working for the Housing Department at the time they paid part of my wages by room and board. the downside was that during the summer when they had the Summer Youth Programs i'd have to move from whatever room i was in down to another room. in the later years i was lucky to finally have a room down on that wing anyways and so i didn't have to move again each summer.

it was a rather strange place too to be at night when nobody else was there. kinda spooky. walking by the laundry room one night in the basement it was dark except for the emergency lights and right at that time the ice-machine released a bunch of ice cubes. scared the bejeepsus out of me!

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DD taught me to drain the hot water for the eggs and put them in a metal bowl with a the ice from a full ice cube tray. The shells come off easy peasy. Once they start to boil, it only takes 10 minutes.
The wednesday eggs went to war under duress. The explosions were their last hurrah.

Latest posts