Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240703_065104_Chrome.jpg
The first Lacewing that I have seen in their customary place, was hanging out under the light beside the backdoor, yesterday. Yes, I know that the  bug above is a Praying Mantis. And, also yes, I have seen a few Lacewings on windows. Only a few Ladybugs, including only one juvenile – he was hiding in a hose fitting of all places!

Why do I always think of Ladybugs as "he?" I guess it is because I want to think of males as having some important and beneficial role in gardening :D. I'm glad that it is true at times with Humans.

Steve

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Got our garlic harvested and is curing in the old stone tool shed. Little locusts are eating everything we’ve got but the ducks and chickens are working tirelessly to eliminate them. If nothing else, it’s saving us $ on poultry feed!
Happy 4th! I am going to read up on what happened to the “founding fathers” (who were VERY young men) after we won our independence. I understand the cost to them was extremely high. Gratitude to them for our freedom ❤️

IMG_9264.jpeg

IMG_9269.jpeg

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now the heat wave continues ... It's like, every 24 hours – the thermometer will jump 10⁰ from where it was.

Exhaust fan running full tilt, assisted by 3 more fans in various rooms. No cooking so open window is in kitchen. AC standing by. Thankfully, it is 57⁰f (14°C) in our neighborhood at 5AM.

Kix and Cheerios in the bowl with the bananananannna. Oolong in the cup. Should we admit that as kids, we wanted to grow up so as to control cold cereal purchases??

Screenshot_20240707_044328_Chrome.jpg
But, I have to move some compost this morning ...

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now the heat wave continues ... It's like, every 24 hours – the thermometer will jump 10⁰ from where it was.

Exhaust fan running full tilt, assisted by 3 more fans in various rooms. No cooking so open window is in kitchen. AC standing by. Thankfully, it is 57⁰f (14°C) in our neighborhood at 5AM.

Kix and Cheerios in the bowl with the bananananannna. Oolong in the cup. Should we admit that as kids, we wanted to grow up so as to control cold cereal purchases??

View attachment 66946
But, I have to move some compost this morning ...
DS and I were having a discussion about what kind of a mother I was to him and DD. He remembers I did not buy Cocoa Puffs he wanted. LOL

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is 89 right now and past noon and I am having my second cup of coffee. I was out doing some weeding and gave the rabbit her jug of ice. I will go drink a bunch of water in a few minutes. I made rhubarb lemonade that I have been drinking.

My flowers are blooming here and there. I have a delphinium that is a blue/purple that is about chin high on me. I planted delphiniums in 2016 and never really took care of them. I have pulled weeds around plants so they can spread and get water to them. Shasta Daisies are starting to bloom, but they look kind of smaller than usual. the bee balm is about to bloom and a couple of hollyhocks. I have a few coneflowers left that will bloom. I have morning glories climbing and a lot of bachelor buttons and cosmos that are about to bloom that I started from seed, but I have some plants blooming that I bought.

I have a few strawberries that I have ate, some lettuce, a few green onions, radishes and raspberries. The pepper plants look awful and I am not sure they are going to come out of it. There are bell peppers on that are fairly good size that are supposed to turn red. I might just pick the green bells and pull the plants. I have started kale, cabbage, Swiss chard and some Chinese cabbage that will need room and more lettuce.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
DS and I were having a discussion about what kind of a mother I was to him and DD. He remembers I did not buy Cocoa Puffs he wanted. LOL

Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, both crack addict level cereals, but i pretty much liked them all including the Grape Nuts and Shredded Wheat (which we called bales of hay, but it is hard to find plain ones any more - as a hot cereal we poured coffee or hot chocolate over them).

breakfast this morning was bran flakes doctored with hot chocolate mix. normally plain is fine for me but today i wanted something different.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
as a hot cereal we poured coffee or hot chocolate over them
😯 Well, if the boxes with the envelopes of too sweet milled oats and powdered milk hadn't yet showed up on store shelves.

Good Gravy, I think back on what is there now and what was there when I was a 🧒 . Corner grocery stores and no soopermarkets. Think about the limits if they wanted to include fresh produce. The "health food" stores had veggies and vitamins. Soopermarkets killed the farmers' markets for a long time but people realized their value and wanted them back.

It's 59⁰f (15⁰C) in my neighborhood. That's a blessing – a hot day is ahead of us.

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, both crack addict level cereals, but i pretty much liked them all including the Grape Nuts and Shredded Wheat (which we called bales of hay, but it is hard to find plain ones any more - as a hot cereal we poured coffee or hot chocolate over them).

breakfast this morning was bran flakes doctored with hot chocolate mix. normally plain is fine for me but today i wanted something different.
My favorite cold cereals as a kid were Captain Crunch (the regular flavor, not the berry flavor) and Lucky Charms. When I was feeling healthy, I'd eat a croissant dipped in hot chocolate. (The hot chocolate packets that you are supposed to add hot water to, but instead I'd add whole milk! ) 😋