Coffee

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the points brought up on that video of Brits sampling American pies is that meat pies are common in England but rather scarce here in the US. We have Shepherd's pie (although typically ground beef is used in place of the traditional lamb) and chicken pot pie, but that's about it.

pasties were common up north where a fair number of Cornish folks and others from more northern Europe were imported to work in the mines.

as a kid pot-pies were normal.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I LOVE jarred mincemeat in a pie!!

same here! i don't need the meat version at all i just like all the fruits and spices. i think i should get a jar of mince sometime and use it on some molasses cookies - it's probably been at least 20 years since i've had some and fall is when i start thinking of it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My aunt was married to a logging truck driver. He was also a hunter and they lived on the coast of northern California where 2 bucks could be bagged each year.

I think that her mincemeat was the primary use for them. Jars and Jars!

Other than spices and sugar, I can only remember that her recipe included apples, raisins and beef fat. Visiting fairly often over the years, she served it both in pie and a side dish.

I like meat pies but DW does especially care for them. I don't really understand that – the filling can be exactly like beef stew or chicken/turkey substituted. Since I am almost entirely incapable of making an acceptable crust, I am dependent on her pie ideas.

Steve ...🥧

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wondering how you all store the garlic you harvested after its been cured…

dark and dry enough place. usually the garlic i grow doesn't last much through the winter intact because i have to pull the bulbs apart getting the bigger cloves for planting in the fall. we use quite a bit of it for cooking and then i have what is left in the middle of winter into the spring and all of that i can usually give away at the seed swap where it will be sprouting a little, but if you keep it dry the roots won't grow too much. don't make the mistake of sealing it up in a plastic container...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240906_083933_Threads.jpg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wondering how you all store the garlic you harvested after its been cured…
The past few years I've bought garlic braids and hung them in my cellar (which is dry and cool). They keep for about a year that way, but I also pickle a jar of cloves from one of the braids and keep this jar in the fridge. The pickled garlic outlasts the hanging braids by another year.

GardenPetsAndGarlicBraids2022.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the thread I did after raising giant pink banana squash.