Coffee

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm a serious chocoholic. I stop for a while then binge especially when I am worried
I am a recovering chocoholic! I used to HAVE to have chocolate every night for dessert after dinner. This went on for many years. Then I doubled my coffee intake and my chocolate cravings are but a distant memory!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am a recovering chocoholic! I used to HAVE to have chocolate every night for dessert after dinner. This went on for many years. Then I doubled my coffee intake and my chocolate cravings are but a distant memory!
I was talking too a sweet guy the other day.
He was heavily hooked on weed, then made himself give it up altogether, but then he found himself with another addiction, alcohol 😞

He said this has become a much worse problem. I so wish I could help him. He's a very hard worker and a really pleasant person.

He adores his dog and has so much patience with his rowdy neighbours... he's talked with them for months, this has paid off because they are far better today.

My point is, it's sad our us humans gets so hooked on one thing or the other and our habits are almost impossible to kick.

Mine was sugar I've found a lot of alternatives for this, not all but a good part of it. Now if only I could beat this darned chocolate

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was talking too a sweet guy the other day.
He was heavily hooked on weed, then made himself give it up altogether, but then he found himself with another addiction, alcohol 😞

He said this has become a much worse problem. I so wish I could help him. He's a very hard worker and a really pleasant person.

He adores his dog and has so much patience with his rowdy neighbours... he's talked with them for months, this has paid off because they are far better today.

My point is, it's sad our us humans gets so hooked on one thing or the other and our habits are almost impossible to kick.

Mine was sugar I've found a lot of alternatives for this, not all but a good part of it. Now if only I could beat this darned chocolate
You are likely just craving the caffeine. I used to think there was more about chocolate that sucked me in, but now that I drink extra coffee, I'm pretty sure the extra caffeine eliminated my cravings for chocolate altogether. Anyone who knows me well was shocked to find out I don't eat chocolate now!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that pretty much all addictions in life are based on a single nearly universal addiction; addiction to pleasure. And that one is SO universal that our society doesn't just normalize it, in ENCORAGES it, and, nowadays makes its pursuit the more or less end all be all of our existence. When someone "breaks" their addiction, it usually just means they move onto one society feels is socially acceptable.

In fact, its so pervasive that anyone trying to break the main addiction completely is looked at as mentally ill. Doubly so if you look at the one addiction more pervasive than the pleasure one, addiction to self-preservation (that is, addiction to trying to stay alive as long as possible.)

HOW to deal with this, I do not know. Temperance ends up sounding like asking an alcoholic to moderate their drinking (plus, even those advocating temperance tend to pick some addictions, like religion or social interactions and say those should be indulged to the maximum.)

As I think I said before, the REAL solution would probably be a total revamp of society where people were taught from birth feeling good is bad (in ANY amount). Of course, that would lead to most people having no reason to live, but, as it said, self survival is itself a form of addiction.

You'd probably also need some really advanced brain surgery to remove the parts of the brain that produce and respond to dopamine and endorphins.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that pretty much all addictions in life are based on a single nearly universal addiction; addiction to pleasure. And that one is SO universal that our society doesn't just normalize it, in ENCORAGES it, and, nowadays makes its pursuit the more or less end all be all of our existence. When someone "breaks" their addiction, it usually just means they move onto one society feels is socially acceptable.

In fact, its so pervasive that anyone trying to break the main addiction completely is looked at as mentally ill. Doubly so if you look at the one addiction more pervasive than the pleasure one, addiction to self-preservation (that is, addiction to trying to stay alive as long as possible.)

HOW to deal with this, I do not know. Temperance ends up sounding like asking an alcoholic to moderate their drinking (plus, even those advocating temperance tend to pick some addictions, like religion or social interactions and say those should be indulged to the maximum.)

As I think I said before, the REAL solution would probably be a total revamp of society where people were taught from birth feeling good is bad (in ANY amount). Of course, that would lead to most people having no reason to live, but, as it said, self survival is itself a form of addiction.

You'd probably also need some really advanced brain surgery to remove the parts of the brain that produce and respond to dopamine and endorphins.
Thanks for your input.
You seem to me to be a very deep thinker and you have certainly gave me food for thought.