Do You Leave A Light on at Night ?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
No lights here but we do keep a night light at our cabin since it's so dark. It helps if you need to go to the bathroom or for a drink of water in the middle of the night. Also gives us peace of mind if our grandkids wake up in the middle of the night and come downstairs. Wouldn't want them to fall or bump into furniture.

Mary

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, I keep a light on by my bed in my room during the day. The reason is that my room is often very, very messy, and with no light on, I cannot guarantee that I will make it across the room from the door (where the light switch is) to my bed uninjured if the sun has gone down.

Technically there is a light on in my room for a few seconds after I turn that one out, for an odd reason.

I am a pretty frequent user of the chain type craft stores (like Michael's Jo-Ann etc.) and an inveterate comber of their glass bead section. Over the last few months, my local Jo-Ann's has been doing a sort of clearance of one of their suppliers (I don't have a package on my, but it is called something like Bead Designer or the like. which supplies small bags of mixed beads of a selected nature (as opposed to the larger units I buy there, which are random groupings). In some of these packets recently have been a glass bead design that has surprised me two ways.

The first was the discovery that the beads, which I originally took for basic spiky balls (all of the others beads in the mixes are very geometric, stylized shapes) are in fact caricatures of pigs (the "spikes" are the ears, legs, snout and tail, and there are two black dot's on each one for eyes.) (rather out of place with all of the other designs, so I think they may not have thought that selection out very well.

The second is what happened the night after I pulled them out and had left them by my bed under the lamp (which, as I said is on all day) Come night, when I turned it off to go to sleep, suddenly there was a pile of little green stars! Turns out the little white crumbs inside of them glow in the dark! I've seen this once before (with an apple shaped bead I found in a bulk mixture) I think they do it with a kind of powder (the standard methods probably wouldn't work, as most of them would burn if they came in contact with molten glass.) But in any now for about ten minutes after I turn off the light, I have a constellation in my room (the apple, which I still have is even brighter, I can read my watch by the light from that.)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We never did until I got sick a couple of years ago, it's in the dining room, it throws about the same amount of light as one of those plug in night lights, saves me from going bump in the night, my feet don't always do what I tell them. :old don't laugh your day is coming.
Annette

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have night lights in the house. And I've still got my string of white tiny holiday lights up on the deck. With the time changing, I just yesterday redid the timer to come on at 6 p.m. Helps with my depression about the darkness outside.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just wondering about the tiny lights ... 2 surge protectors, 1 charger which doesn't need to be plugged in but always is ... the light under the pc monitor and the wireless router beside it. You folks don't have those?

Outside lights front and back door shine in through the windows some. Neighbor's motion detection garage light which always comes on when there is a breeze ... dang thing will blind me if I'm outdoors in the driveway ... and no, it is not "aimed" to turn on for my driveway.

There is a nightlight in the bathroom - door is supposed to stay open when not in use. That thingis pretty important.

Steve

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I must be the odd one here. I believe that when the sun goes down it's supposed to be DARK. I love to be outdoors in total darkness - well, moonlight is OK. But we can't seem to disable all the stupid clock lights on appliances around here. I think there must be one in every room.

When I go out to tend to the animals every night I do carry a flashlight that attaches to my hat. But I do not often turn it on. When I do it's usually only red light.

It could be a carryover from my military days but I find security in darkness. OK, I know I'm goofy.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Before I moved here the previous owner had an outside light on a power line pole for his horses. Five horses on about 3/4 acres, that's about the only thing he did good for them. The electric company charges $1 a month for it and will change the bulb for free if it ever goes out. With it I can se my way to the compost pile and chicken coop at night without a flashlight so I have not told the electric company to turn it off. When I start seeing a lot of dead skunks on the road I may carry a flashlight anyway. I've never been sprayed but I've had some experiences.

In the house we have two night lights, on in the guest bathroom and one in the hallway leading from the guest bedrooms to that bathroom. It's mostly for the convenience of guests but makes it convenient when I'm moving around at night. It doesn't shine in our bedroom but I don't have to turn on any lights to see to get around and wake my wife when I get up in the morning and go turn the coffee on.

My sister in law recently tripped over a bench in a hallway at night. She had recently moved it and forgot it was there. She messed her knee up pretty badly. Personally I'd have moved it but it had an electric outlet right under it so they plugged in a night light.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to have one of these under the bed so that the floor was lit up (to see the dogs & cats in the bed room). But the darn thing was so bright that it had to go. It's currently dangling from the closet rod in a friend's granddaughter's bedroom closet - pretending to be a closet light.
halolight.jpg

Latest posts