Do You Leave A Light on at Night ?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We keep the hall light on for the kids, who inevitably get up in the middle of the night. I keep my door shut and have black-out curtains on my windows because I can't sleep unless it is pitch black. I started recently keeping the little light over the stove on at night. It occurred to me that if anyone broke in, I wouldn't be able to see them to shoot them. :\ The bulb is burned out on our dusk-to-dawn light. I need to get that replaced. It has been out for a long time. Amazing how a little light can chase the bad guys away, who prefer to operate under cover of darkness.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this - but when we first moved into the house we put a string of blue rope lights along the top of the kitchen cabinets. They were completely hidden by the molding and you couldn't see the light until it got dark. It lit the kitchen well enough to get a drink or whatever. It also gave JUST enough light to get through the den and dining room without stubbing a toe.
I think I need to get some more rope lights.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just now replaced a 20 watt bulb above the bathroom sink. I'd prefer lower wattage but have these 20w bulbs to use somewhere. When they are gone, I'll go back to 13w, the same as in the ceiling fixture. Four x 13 = 52 watts for a small room (no window) - you do remember how many watts we used to pump into lighting, right?

I might have had a few 40 watt bulbs around in the old, incandescent days. I bet I was in a minority.

The government tells me that my teevee uses 150w and at 6 hours/day costs me $30/year at the rate around here. House lights are no longer a major part of energy consumption, not even televisions.

I was happy to kick my electric water heater out the door and I'm willing to hang out clothing, 6 months each year. My dang toaster oven is 1500w! The microwave is 1100w. I know electric heat is convenient for apartment dwellers and they save energy other ways but electric heat is expensive!

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must be the odd one here. I believe that when the sun goes down it's supposed to be DARK. I love to be outdoors in total darkness - well, moonlight is OK. But we can't seem to disable all the stupid clock lights on appliances around here. I think there must be one in every room.

When I go out to tend to the animals every night I do carry a flashlight that attaches to my hat. But I do not often turn it on. When I do it's usually only red light.

It could be a carryover from my military days but I find security in darkness. OK, I know I'm goofy.

I feel the same. House is dark when we go to bed, but cannot help light from the woodstove, but the bedrooms are dark. During the spring there will be lights in the greenhouse, but I cover it so it will not be so light. When I go outside I have a headlight thing on my head so my hands are free to take care of the rabbits. I have heard sounds in the alley and my first instinct is to turn my head away and turn the light off. If I cannot see them, but they can see me, it is not a good thing. I am not afraid of going outside in the dark. I do make noise after that moose was in the alley and last summer I went out and I heard sort of a cow moo sound and there are no cows around here, so I made some noise, I do not want to walk up on him. My cat is usually out with me and as long as he is not acting odd then I know there is nothing wrong.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey, a few posts above there was talk about the LED rope lights. I have found them to be the best dang trouble lights ever. I have a white 50-light string that I use all the time for light while working in dark places. Under the hood of the cars, trucks, tractors and implements, under the sink when doing plumbing fixes, and anywhere light is needed for odd jobs. These lights never get hot, they can be draped over or under things and moved to the exact location needed. You can kick them, step on them, lay on them, drop them and they stay on. They're easy to clean, too. All you have to do is drop a typical incandescent trouble light once and the project is dead in the water until you search for another light bulb. Try it - you'll like it.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It could be a carryover from my military days but I find security in darkness.

This is probably unintentionally offensive but it occurs to me that that training could have another advantage; if it ever became necessary, you would probably know where to get, and more importantly how to use, night vision goggles. In a case where it was important (say if something showed up wandering around a whole lot more threatening than a moose) those could theoretically come in handy too.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was happy to kick my electric water heater out the door and I'm willing to hang out clothing, 6 months each year. My dang toaster oven is 1500w! The microwave is 1100w. I know electric heat is convenient for apartment dwellers and they save energy other ways but electric heat is expensive!

Steve
Wish I could "kick my electric water heater out the door" but electricity is what we use for oven, range top, and water heater. With the new Geothermal heating, we get 'free' hot water, but most of that is in the summer.

This my December electric bill went up $100 over normal. Since DH's stroke, I've been washing 3-4 loads of laundry each day and drying them as well. For several years, my washer has not had cold water so the laundry was done in hot. No wonder the bill was so high.

I complained (second time) and DS finally fixed the washer. Now the cold works just fine. I have also purchased duplicates of needed clothes and bedding, so I don't need instant drying. DS hung a clothes line in the basement (storage section) so I now dry most things that way.

I'm waiting/hoping to see a difference these changes will make to the bill.

Latest posts