flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I bought the pectin because I talked to my mom and she told me that I needed to get pectin and then a recipe for the amount of sugar I would need to use but when I saw that it said 3 cups of juice and 5-5 1/2 cups of sugar, I just about thought to ask if I would need to be hospitalized for the diabetic coma I would be in🤣.

you can return it if you haven't opened it yet and get the other kind instead. this year i used some low sugar pectin powder for making strawberry freezer jam and it turned out well and tasted pretty close to the previous recipe which used a lot more sugar...

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finding responsible and knowledgeable people that can be trusted to care for our animals is a huge issue. Depending on how long your away & How man animals?
I hope you can find someone you can depend on to take care of your animals.
Our youngest daughter is going to be able to come up to watch them. We have a rabbit, 2 dogs and 6 chickens. She's probably not the most ideal sitter but at least she's willing to do it for us so we have to go with the flow. I'm really excited now about going because my mom is going with us. She's always wanted to go to Boomtown but she's on a limited income so she hasn't been able to go. It's going to be fun to see her having fun and just relaxing.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finding responsible and knowledgeable people that can be trusted to care for our animals is a huge issue. Depending on how long your away & How man animals?
I hope you can find someone you can depend on to take care of your animals.
My daughter has a difficult time finding cat sitters. She has two indoor cats that she spoils to death and finds it difficult to find someone who can provide the level of care they are used to if she wants to go on vacation.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Dahlia some veterinary services include cat and dog care while the parents are away on vaca. I would trust a care center at a veterinarian. Otherwise it is vert tricky. Sometimes Facebook or nextdoor have posts available for pet care.
Generally speaking neighbors take care of our dogs and cats. Just drop over a couple times a day. It’s an easy deal. I also have horses and I have been lucky that a couple neighbors have horses I ride with a lot. We take care of each others horses. The horses know them and vise versa. A lucky deal.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My daughter has a difficult time finding cat sitters. She has two indoor cats that she spoils to death and finds it difficult to find someone who can provide the level of care they are used to if she wants to go on vacation.
I feed DD's cats while they are away. I always make sure that the water is clean and fresh, Sometimes, if it's over a week, I will clean the litter boxes, and I take daily phone photo shots, P.roof O.f L.ife.
I was Told that I overfed them, until i could feel Troll Bridge's (8yo) spine, so now they Don't accuse me of overfeeding and Troll Bridge gets a small can of wet food every day. (his photo is below)
I Don't play with them, just a pat or two.
Troll Briddge, fetching, 10-07-24.jpg

They survive, and they know me, bc they see me all of the time and I feed them often enough.
Close friend of DD's and me, came over the night before the Salsa Party. DD's were both away at a concert, and left a key for her to get in the house. When she, D., came in, both cats looked at her like she had 2 heads!
Had they been dogs she might have been cornered by them, but cats are Not guard animals!
MY cats are pretty much the same, "stranger danger!!!"
When somebody Else takes care of your critters, your expectations need to be basic AND you have to be grateful.
I had someone arranged to feed my horses while I was away (prior to my move and prior to 2000) and that person didn't feed them the last day I was gone and maybe skipped out on other days, too--I will never know!
Once I took a horse trip and I had a riding student who also kept horses, and I left my oldest horse with HER, knowing that anybody could handle/ride him--told her that her kids should ride him. Of Course he was fed and well cared for.
There is a great Veterinary/dog and cat daycare business in town. I would leave Eva there in a heartbeat, if I had an emergency. They took very good care of Pyg when she had her cancer surgery.
I think I could get a friend to fill the cat food and feed the horses from the open barn, in such an emergency.
MY vet can perform regular routine surgeries, but not the big ones, and she told me that if something happened to us she would take Eva in a heartbeat!
So, maybe she would agree to dogcare...

Last edited: